LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Marcus Martin C - 3rd Round

Shop 49ers game tickets
Smh
Originally posted by Red80:
Guy takes 10 snaps and he already is a bust! LMAO!!!!

this
I'm not concerned that he won't develop into a decent player, but I have to admit that I'm disappointed that he won't be starting this year.

I was hoping he could come in and beat out Kilgore, but being injured for half of camp as a rookie has put him too far behind with the season so close.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by ghostrider:
I'm not concerned that he won't develop into a decent player, but I have to admit that I'm disappointed that he won't be starting this year.

I was hoping he could come in and beat out Kilgore, but being injured for half of camp as a rookie has put him too far behind with the season so close.

This!
Despite the lead Kilgore has over MM, I still say Marcus will take over sometime this season. He needs to learn the offense and line calls better. The biggest thing Marcus has is his beastliness...once he takes over you won't see him pushed over or knocked out of the way. He's got strength and leverage...I think he has the makings of a dominant C, it'll just take some time. Very difficult to take over that position from the get-go, but he'll get there.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ghostrider:

ditto.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Doesn't look like MMartin is pushing Kilgore very hard thus far. I thought they'd be neck and neck the whole way, but I probably should have known better.

Hopefully we see more in the next three games. I'm not too worried yet. If he's still not doing well In TC next year - then I'll get worried.

Yeah, still lots of preseason left to go. I was hoping MM would be able to contend for the starting C spot as a rookie. So far, he is not putting the pressure on Kilgore that I thought he would. Being injured doesn't help.
I'm thinking of maybe a platoon system, the way george Seifert did with the guards. In other words during the season, they can sub in Marcus on obvious run downs and Kilgore on obvious pass downs, so that Martin can continue to develop. And Kilgore can develop for depth.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Despite the lead Kilgore has over MM, I still say Marcus will take over sometime this season. He needs to learn the offense and line calls better. The biggest thing Marcus has is his beastliness...once he takes over you won't see him pushed over or knocked out of the way. He's got strength and leverage...I think he has the makings of a dominant C, it'll just take some time. Very difficult to take over that position from the get-go, but he'll get there.

the Steelers had 4 superbowls with a powerful center and a good inside runner and a good slasher type of RB. With Marcus - the first part is hopefully being installed now. Then I hope carlos will be our rocky blier and lattimore will be our Franco harris.
  • thl408
Doesn't look like MMartin is pushing Kilgore very hard thus far. I thought they'd be neck and neck the whole way, but I probably should have known better.

Hopefully we see more in the next three games. I'm not too worried yet. If he's still not doing well In TC next year - then I'll get worried.

Yeah, still lots of preseason left to go. I was hoping MM would be able to contend for the starting C spot as a rookie. So far, he is not putting the pressure on Kilgore that I thought he would. Being injured doesn't help.
I'm thinking of maybe a platoon system, the way george Seifert did with the guards. In other words during the season, they can sub in Marcus on obvious run downs and Kilgore on obvious pass downs, so that Martin can continue to develop. And Kilgore can develop for depth.

But that would be a huge tip off to the defense. If MMartin can't win the starting center spot, then I hope he can take the 3rd TE spot in the Jumbo formation (Kilgore's role last season).

But that would be a huge tip off to the defense. If MMartin can't win the starting center spot, then I hope he can take the 3rd TE spot in the Jumbo formation (Kilgore's role last season).

True. That said, I wonder if we'll utilize Martin for our jumbo packages to work him in like we used Kilgore last year...as a way to keep him sharp and fresh and dominant in run blocking while he learns the C assignments/line calls/offense.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:
True. That said, I wonder if we'll utilize Martin for our jumbo packages to work him in like we used Kilgore last year...as a way to keep him sharp and fresh and dominant in run blocking while he learns the C assignments/line calls/offense.

IMO, that would be the smart thing to do. Let him get comfortable.

I very often hear how high-potential draft picks under perform because they think too much which slows down their reaction time.

If he isn't ready then he isn't ready to take over.

He has the physical tools and now he has to match them w/the other requirements.

Who knows, we may need to develop him at RG first.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
#repost

Rookie center Marcus Martin spoke to 49ers.com about being on the practice field full time for the first time.

C Marcus Martin: 'It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint' http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/C_Marcus_Martin_Its_a_Marathon_Not_a_Sprint/c69443d3-a904-4f38-841c-d18766bfd9f0
I am surprised nobody has said anything about how good Marcus Martin looked out there. I was very impressed with his play. This guy is going to be a beast.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Aug 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
I am surprised nobody has said anything about how good Marcus Martin looked out there. I was very impressed with his play. This guy is going to be a beast.

looked decent, but looked like a rookie. you could see him thinking on some plays, and his game speed suffered. and it's a given that he needs to work on that ugly body.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

I havent rewatched the game but there were definitely a couple of running plays where he got out to the second level and put a hat on a LB really well clearing a few more yards for some runs. Overall our line is improving every single game they get more experience, basically what is supposed to happen... in the immortal words of Joe Staley "We don't suck"
Share 49ersWebzone