Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The end of the 12th man

Originally posted by zaghawk:
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Yeah.
Call us anything you want . . .
Just don't call us late to watch the ring ceremony ;-)

You got your ring..so why don't you go away? Now all you're doing is gloating.

Lisa (and myself) hung around here pretty respectful (her more than me) for the entire season while reading every insult known to man thrown at the Seahawks and their fans (which is us). We don't get to gloat a bit? ;)

No, thats what the .net is for
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
at the end of the day they can call themselves whatever they like. fans are fans and generally act the same. i can tell you from experience that in their 7-9 playoff season in 2010 i went to 2 different regular season games in seattle vs the giants and the cheifs. seattle got smoked in those games, gave up 40+ in both of them and that stadium was half full before the 4th even started. yes they're loud but when they're losing they just like any other fans. they were a 7 win team who won the division, at no point were they ever buried in the standings beyond hope and still the fans couldnt hang around for the 4th qtr.

Sure, they are allowed to call themselves whatever they want. Similarly, I am allowed to criticize. If SF fans ever start calling themselves the Gold Nuggets (or some other form of self-adornment), I can assure you that I won't be a part of it. It is more a function of one's insecurity and need to belong to the group than it is a reflection of one's fandom.

a signifficant portion of the fan base already refers to themselves as the 49er faithful, or just the faithful for short.

That's characteristic of every group of fans. It's a descriptor.

i personally dont care whether someone buys a 49er faithful t-shirt off the official website, or buys 12th man gear off the hawks website. if it helps you associate with the group of fans by doing so, cool. if you dont need to be involved to feel like more of a fan, cool on that aswell. this is only as an issue because they pay texas a&m a little money each yr to use it.

There's a difference between being a fan and being part of the herd. Even maltz88 commented that it's tiresome. That said, I'm more than happy to agree to disagree with you.

Originally posted by maltz88:
The whole 12th man craze and people constantly trying to bring as much attention to the crowd as to the team itself has started to wear on me anyway.
Zaghawk...if this was an NFL board and you and Lisa took all that heat, I'd give you props and welcome the gloating...but it's not. You both choose to be part of a 49ers board...So, of course as a fan of a hated rival you're going to hear insults about the Seahawks...but it's your choice. You don't have to be here. So while your a guest in our house, mind your manners.
broes,

it ain't that srs.

sincerely,
me.
Lisa (and myself) hung around here pretty respectful (her more than me) for the entire season while reading every insult known to man thrown at the Seahawks and their fans (which is us). We don't get to gloat a bit? ;)

Gloat all you want on your own board..the snide comments are getting old..

These hags act confused. "We just want to discuss sports." "Oh we're just going to gloat a little."

Those of us who have intelligence already knew it was the latter all along.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

These hags act confused. "We just want to discuss sports." "Oh we're just going to gloat a little."

5 years from now they'll still be gloating and then we'll have to remind them of the expiration date that exists on gloating about titles. we didnt come up with the rule, they did.
Zaghawk...if this was an NFL board and you and Lisa took all that heat, I'd give you props and welcome the gloating...but it's not. You both choose to be part of a 49ers board...So, of course as a fan of a hated rival you're going to hear insults about the Seahawks...but it's your choice. You don't have to be here. So while your a guest in our house, mind your manners.

Yup. I thought they were here to dicsuss sports. Oh woh. MY mistake, they are here to gloat. Color me puke green neon snot shocked.

5 years from now they'll still be gloating and then we'll have to remind them of the expiration date that exists on gloating about titles. we didnt come up with the rule, they did.

haha i already throw that in their faces. Remember when they were bragging about the blowout home win like it was a superbowl. I wonder how embarrassed they feel after actually winning something that matters for once in their lives knowing how they were so happy and cocky after they won some NFC west titles..lol
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM ]

haha i already throw that in their faces. Remember when they were bragging about the blowout home win like it was a superbowl. I wonder how embarrassed they feel after actually winning something that matters for once in their lives knowing how they were so happy and cocky after they won some NFC west titles..lol

i've always said its the fan bases with no history who try to tell you when a title is too old to brag about. we heard it for years from these guys. 10-15 yrs from now when they're still sitting on one ring (lets be honest its very difficult to win it all and you cant count on it) they'll still be trying to brag about. i'm not against bragging about titles from yester year especially if u saw it happen, but i will be all over these guys when that time comes.
i've always said its the fan bases with no history who try to tell you when a title is too old to brag about. we heard it for years from these guys. 10-15 yrs from now when they're still sitting on one ring (lets be honest its very difficult to win it all and you cant count on it) they'll still be trying to brag about. i'm not against bragging about titles from yester year especially if u saw it happen, but i will be all over these guys when that time comes.

My personal belief, is we Seattle fans retain the bragging rights until next February when the next SB champ is crowned (or lord willing it continues for another year with a repeat).

And since that's MY belief, it must be correct.
Actually it would be like you singing a holiday song that's been around for generations, then having Michael Jackson put it on an album then sue you for singing "his song."

Yes, of course -- all NFL and college football fans were known for calling themselves 'the 12th man'. It is ubiquitous! I mean, I remember my old grandpappy waving his 12th fan flag proudly at old Kezar stadium watching John Brodie lead the 9ers to victory on foggy Sunday mornings in the 60s!

What a joke. Typical Hawk fan revisionist history and rationalization of their ridiculous inauthenticity.
The most unoriginal moniker in professional football.
Originally posted by Existence:
Actually it would be like you singing a holiday song that's been around for generations, then having Michael Jackson put it on an album then sue you for singing "his song."

Yes, of course -- all NFL and college football fans were known for calling themselves 'the 12th man'. It is ubiquitous! I mean, I remember my old grandpappy waving his 12th fan flag proudly at old Kezar stadium watching John Brodie lead the 9ers to victory on foggy Sunday mornings in the 60s!

What a joke. Typical Hawk fan revisionist history and rationalization of their ridiculous inauthenticity.

Its just like their excuses for PED and blocking out of state fans from buying tickets...

"Well all teams do it...DUHHHHRR.....so it is ok....DUUHHHRRR"
Originally posted by 16to87:
On the .nut they are now calling themselves the twelves.

Pathetic.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
Originally posted by 16to87:
On the .nut they are now calling themselves the twelves.

It's not just on their board. They do that stuff in person too.

They were doing it when I got here in the 90s. It just became more ghey every year. I see these guys at work the day after and don't have a problem with a guy that loses his voice screaming for his team.

My problem is with the aasholes that claim to be "the 12th man" when they weren't at the game. I have the advantage of saying I have been to more Hags games than most of those wannabe 12th genitals have in their lives just because I want to see the Niners. 12th boner.. my ass.

I'm a season ticket holder and went to the SB this year. I've done my contributions.

Anyway, I personally would like us to to get rid of the 12th man thing, and just call ourselves Twelves or just something entirely different, because I'm tired of hearing this Texas A & M crap all the time. The nickname is not worth it IMO.

The fact is the fanbase itself is not going anywhere, and the culture of being loud at games is already there. The 12th Man is just a name at this point. We could easily just become "Blue Pride" or "Hawks Nest" in 2016 or whatever nickname the media chooses to spout and people who don't like the Seahawks will be JUST as annoyed. Until the Seahawks start losing at home more than they win, and the fans suddenly go pitch quiet. You're not going to stop hearing about the Seahawk fans.

Instead of bashing what you wish your fan base would do (which is get loud at games), why don't you just try to help educate your fellow fans to stop being loud on offense and do their job on defense.

Actually, Blue Pride or Hawks Nest is not nearly as corny and pathetic as "The 12th Man" or, even cornier, "Twelves."