LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

2011 Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Everyone, channel your inner Captain Hindsight on this one. Knowing what we know now, how would you list the top 32 players coming out of the 2011 Draft?

Here's my crack at it:

1. Cam Newton, QB (1st)
  2. Patrick Peterson, CB (5th)
  3. J.J. Watt, DE (11th)
  4. Richard Sherman, CB (154th)
  5. Von Miller, LB (2nd)
  6. A.J. Green, WR (4th)
  7. Aldon Smith, DE (7th)
  8. Justin Houston, LB (70th)
  9. Robert Quinn, DE (14th)
  10. Julio Jones, WR (6th)
  11. Tyron Smith, OL (9th)
  12. Andy Dalton, QB (35th)
  13. Nate Solder, OL (17th)
  14. Muhammed Wilkerson, DT (30th)
  15. Demarco Murray, RB (71st)
  16. Cameron Jordan, DE (24th)
  17. Marcell Dareus, DT (3rd)
  18. Colin Kaepernick, QB (36th)
  19. Ryan Kerrigan, DE (16th)
  20. Mike Pouncey, OL (15th)
  21. Mason Foster, LB (84th)
  22. Torrey Smith, WR (58th)
  23. K.J. Wright, LB (99th)
  24. Jabal Sheard, DL (37th)
  25. Randall Cobb, WR (64th)
  26. Akeem Ayers, LB (39th)
  27. Jurrell Casey, DL (74th)
  28. Corey Liuget, DT (18th)
  29. Steven Ridley, RB (72nd)
  30. Brooks Reed, DL (42nd)
  31. Anthony Castonzo, OL (22nd)
  32. Sam Acho, LB (103rd)

( ) indicates where they were originally selected.
[ Edited by eamjr10 on May 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM ]
Andy Dalton way to high, and I'd put Sherman second over Peterson easily. I would flip flop Aldon and Miller then move Julio up over Miller and Houston. I would move CK up about 5/6 spots above some of these guys also. That was a loaded draft for defenders.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Andy Dalton way to high, and I'd put Sherman second over Peterson easily. I would flip flop Aldon and Miller then move Julio up over Miller and Houston. I would move CK up about 5/6 spots above some of these guys also. That was a loaded draft for defenders.

I can agree with you about Sherman, it's hard to go wrong with that Top 5-10 basically just a matter of preference.

I would still put Miller over Aldon at this point in their careers based on what they have done on the field, but I would have no problem with someone switching them around, they are pretty similar at this point.

As far as Dalton goes, believe me I was suprised I ranked him this high too. But based on his scope of work I believe he is the 2nd best QB out of this draft at this point. He has thrown for 11,360 yards and 80 TDs in 3 seasons, including a Pro Bowl in 2011. He also led the Bengals to two straight Playoff appearances and an AFC North Title last year. I can agree that he may have hit is ceiling already and in 3 more years he may not accomplish much more, but it's not a bad start for a QBs first 3 years. I think he is underrated at this point.

And yea the defenders are ridiculous looking back.
Michael Crabtree says what to PP going second.
Patrick Peterson: 48 Games Started, 151 Tackles, 12 INTS, 9 Fumble Recoveries. 3 Pro Bowls in 3 seasons and 2-Time First Team All Pro.

Not bad.

I can see where some confusion may arise, I ranked these guys based on their performance in 3 years in the NFL. Not necessarliy considering the future from this point on. Maybe "Re-Draft" was the wrong terminology in the Title and I should have put "Rankings". But if anyone wants to rank these guys, or even do an actual re-draft go for it.
[ Edited by eamjr10 on May 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM ]
cam newton cant be first. also p[layer #12 is 0-3 in the playoffs. player #18 is 4-2 with 3 road wins.
Kap>Dalton

easily.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Kap>Dalton

easily.

hes better than cam newton too.
PP is a good corner. Crabtree has gotten the better of him but that doesn't make him lame

Originally posted by eamjr10:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I can agree with you about Sherman, it's hard to go wrong with that Top 5-10 basically just a matter of preference.

I would still put Miller over Aldon at this point in their careers based on what they have done on the field, but I would have no problem with someone switching them around, they are pretty similar at this point.

As far as Dalton goes, believe me I was suprised I ranked him this high too. But based on his scope of work I believe he is the 2nd best QB out of this draft at this point. He has thrown for 11,360 yards and 80 TDs in 3 seasons, including a Pro Bowl in 2011. He also led the Bengals to two straight Playoff appearances and an AFC North Title last year. I can agree that he may have hit is ceiling already and in 3 more years he may not accomplish much more, but it's not a bad start for a QBs first 3 years. I think he is underrated at this point.

And yea the defenders are ridiculous looking back.
I don't rate Dalton over CK based off playoff performances. Dalton hits the playoffs and disappears. Same for AJ Green too. Just not too fond of Dalton's arm strength. moxie, and overall qb play. I don't think he's terrible but just average.
The reason I put Dalton ahead of Kap as of today is because I feel that Dalton has had a more productive career so far, playoffs aside. Dalton has started 48 games, while Kap has started 23 up to this season. Dalton has 30 WINS as a starting QB while Kap has only played in 32 games total since being drafted. I would say that Cincinnati has benefited more from Dalton that SF has from Kap up to this point, not just focusing on Playoff success.

Not saying that I think Dalton is necessarily better than Kap and if I had to draft today I would take Kap 10 times out of 10. But since the 2011 Draft, you can make the argument that Dalton has been more valuable to the Bengals since 2011.

sam acho has 12 sacks in 3 years and only 5 the last 2 seasons. he played 3 games last season. why is he on the list?
The reason I put Dalton ahead of Kap as of today is because I feel that Dalton has had a more productive career so far, playoffs aside. Dalton has started 48 games, while Kap has started 23 up to this season. Dalton has 30 WINS as a starting QB while Kap has only played in 32 games total since being drafted. I would say that Cincinnati has benefited more from Dalton that SF has from Kap up to this point, not just focusing on Playoff success.

Not saying that I think Dalton is necessarily better than Kap and if I had to draft today I would take Kap 10 times out of 10. But since the 2011 Draft, you can make the argument that Dalton has been more valuable to the Bengals since 2011.

can you make a more foolish statement? the playoffs is where you earn your keep. in a re-draft scenario its a simple pick the best players. you dont pick the guy you think is less talented but played a few more games and got a few more stats because of it.
Originally posted by crabman82:

can you make a more foolish statement? the playoffs is where you earn your keep. in a re-draft scenario its a simple pick the best players. you dont pick the guy you think is less talented but played a few more games and got a few more stats because of it.

Like I said, "Re-Draft" was probably not the best use of terminoology even though that was the original intention of the list, but the data that I used works best for ranking productivity in a 3 year span without regards to the future...not necessarily a redraft.

And yes I understand the importance of playoff success but didn't factor it in into my rankings too much because when you draft a rookie QB you're hoping that they can get you into the playoffs which is something Dalton has done the last two years starting all 16 games, while Kap can only be credited with "leading" the 49ers to 1 playoff appearance as a full time starter.

I'm not saying my list is flawless, this was just something I thought I would do for fun and hoped it would create some interesting debates and give other people the idea of doing their own lists. It's just an offseason post, not to be taken too seriously. But I do appreciate your comments, you have made some valid points and I don't disagree with you.

As far as Acho, I had him clustered in the 32-40 range and slid him in there. 66 tackles and 12 sacks in 35 games is decent especially when you consider he was taken with the 103rd pick.

Like I said, "Re-Draft" was probably not the best use of terminoology even though that was the original intention of the list, but the data that I used works best for ranking productivity in a 3 year span without regards to the future...not necessarily a redraft.

And yes I understand the importance of playoff success but didn't factor it in into my rankings too much because when you draft a rookie QB you're hoping that they can get you into the playoffs which is something Dalton has done the last two years starting all 16 games, while Kap can only be credited with "leading" the 49ers to 1 playoff appearance as a full time starter.

I'm not saying my list is flawless, this was just something I thought I would do for fun and hoped it would create some interesting debates and give other people the idea of doing their own lists. It's just an offseason post, not to be taken too seriously. But I do appreciate your comments, you have made some valid points and I don't disagree with you.

As far as Acho, I had him clustered in the 32-40 range and slid him in there. 66 tackles and 12 sacks in 35 games is decent especially when you consider he was taken with the 103rd pick.

dalton actually led the bengals to 3 straight playoffs, see how if you dont win a playoff game people lose sight of it? carson palmer and aaron rodgers both didnt play at all as rookies, and rodgers for a few seasons but they'd never get slid down in a re-draft just because of that.

dalton actually led the bengals to 3 straight playoffs, see how if you dont win a playoff game people lose sight of it? carson palmer and aaron rodgers both didnt play at all as rookies, and rodgers for a few seasons but they'd never get slid down in a re-draft just because of that.

You're absolutely right it was 3 straight years, initially thats what I thought but I completely overlooked them being 9-7 and making it in 2011.

I understand what you're saying, I wasn't making this list as a re-draft necessarily in terms of draft order and if teams were drafting today...poor choice of words on my part. Just basically trying to highlight the top picks of that draft, the list itself is very subjective and I'm sure if 10 people made a list they would all be drastically different.
Share 49ersWebzone