There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pete Carroll signs extension with Seahawks

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Pete wins but there are always questions after the fact. When the USC program fell apart he had his ticket for Seattle ready just as the sanctions came. Did Pete ever address the sanctions or is he Mr. Teflon. All of the suspensions during his time in Seattle due to the use of banned drugs and Pete gives the impression he had no idea what was going on. Finally an opinion that is purely fan based, the performance of his players. They seem to be frothing at the mouth in a frenzy, these are pros not high school kids. How are they so "up"? Are they ahead of the curve with medication? Does Pete hypnotize them to achieve that state? Pete always gets out of town before the sheriff appears on the scene.

Those players remind me of how Lyle Alzado played when he was with the Raiders.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Yeah you Hawks fans have a great team. Your forum kicks anybody out who says anything negative about your team; you fans literally kick wheelchair-bound fans of other teams down the stairs, laugh about it and don't even offer to help the injured fan get back up; you fans threw food at Navarro Bowman while he was getting carted off the field in the NFCCG; your team has bought off officials; your players get away with cheating... yeah, Carroll sure is the better coach - NOT! The NFCCG was lost by the 49ers due to the corrupt bribed officials, and there is video proof of that! Go back to your pantywaist forum and leave us here alone (that goes for all Hawks fans - you really are a disgusting lot)..

So If it is all controlled by corrupt bribed officials and the Niners win it all next year, what does it mean to the Niners fans? You can't have it both ways. If the Seahawks won it all this year do to a corrupt NFL that controls corrupt refs then it will be the same if Niners won it all next year. Or would it matter in that case?
Not saying that Carroll doesn't deserve the extension or to make more than Harbaugh, but the argument that Carroll took a "junk team" to the SB and Harbaugh has taken a "loaded team" nowhere is false.

The Seahawks were two years removed from being perennial playoff contenders when Carroll took over. The 49ers hadn't been the playoffs in 8 years when Harbaugh took over. True, Carroll is part of the braintrust that overhauled the Seahawks roster into what it is today, but this is also true of Harbaugh and the 49ers.

That "stacked" team that Harbaugh took over lacked good coaching, yes, but it also lacked Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Kendall Hunter, Ted Ginn Jr, Bruce Miller, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Blake Costanzo, Chris Culliver, Jonathan Goodwin, David Akers, Phil Dawson, Anquan Boldin, Eric Reid, Randy Moss, Glenn Dorsey, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, not to mention the bench players already on the roster given starting roles who developed into important players like Ray McDonald, Tremaine Brock, Tarrell Brown, Ahmad Brooks, Alex Boone, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Of course, lets not forget Alex Smith, who Harbaugh not only helped develop into a legit #1 QB but who continues to pay dividends to the team via draft picks, something that would not have been possible without Harbaugh. That's an awful lot of dudes that most people would recognize as being incredibly important to our success the last three years.

It's revisionist history to say that the only thing the 49ers were missing was halfway competent coaching. We were missing players too. Harbaugh has provided great coaching and helped shape a roster which is far superior to what he was given.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Not saying that Carroll doesn't deserve the extension or to make more than Harbaugh, but the argument that Carroll took a "junk team" to the SB and Harbaugh has taken a "loaded team" nowhere is false.

The Seahawks were two years removed from being perennial playoff contenders when Carroll took over. The 49ers hadn't been the playoffs in 8 years when Harbaugh took over. True, Carroll is part of the braintrust that overhauled the Seahawks roster into what it is today, but this is also true of Harbaugh and the 49ers.

That "stacked" team that Harbaugh took over lacked good coaching, yes, but it also lacked Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Kendall Hunter, Ted Ginn Jr, Bruce Miller, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Blake Costanzo, Chris Culliver, Jonathan Goodwin, David Akers, Phil Dawson, Anquan Boldin, Eric Reid, Randy Moss, Glenn Dorsey, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, not to mention the bench players already on the roster given starting roles who developed into important players like Ray McDonald, Tremaine Brock, Tarrell Brown, Ahmad Brooks, Alex Boone, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Of course, lets not forget Alex Smith, who Harbaugh not only helped develop into a legit #1 QB but who continues to pay dividends to the team via draft picks, something that would not have been possible without Harbaugh. That's an awful lot of dudes that most people would recognize as being incredibly important to our success the last three years.

It's revisionist history to say that the only thing the 49ers were missing was halfway competent coaching. We were missing players too. Harbaugh has provided great coaching and helped shape a roster which is far superior to what he was given.

Great points all around. Harbaugh had the task of changing the entire culture of the franchise. The culture had been that of losing for the better part of a decade.

Carroll took over after Holmgren had a dud in his last year and Jim Mora Jr. didn't work out in his one year, but the franchise had in fact had some success.

On a side note, Seattle was so much more tolerable when they were led by Holmgren, Hasselbeck and Alexander.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Great points all around. Harbaugh had the task of changing the entire culture of the franchise. The culture had been that of losing for the better part of a decade.

Carroll took over after Holmgren had a dud in his last year and Jim Mora Jr. didn't work out in his one year, but the franchise had in fact had some success.

On a side note, Seattle was so much more tolerable when they were led by Holmgren, Hasselbeck and Alexander.

That is true, but only 2 players under Holmgren were members of the Super Bowl team under Carroll, Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant, and Mebane was a rookie in Holmgren's last successful year, and Bryant didn't experience a winning season until 2012. The fact is that ever since that asshat Tim Ruskell let Steve Hutchinson go in free agency, Holmgren's relationship with the front office was poison. I'm not saying anything against Harbaugh, he was and is a clearly superior coach to Erickson/Nolan/Singletary. I feel like the real question is talent evaluation, which even with Nolan/Singletary, I think the 49ers were doing a good job on. I really feel like McCloughan got a raw deal down there, and took the fall for Singletary. I mean, he signed Justin Smith for you and he did draft Gore, Davis, and Willis. Just my opinion.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tab420:
So If it is all controlled by corrupt bribed officials and the Niners win it all next year, what does it mean to the Niners fans? You can't have it both ways. If the Seahawks won it all this year do to a corrupt NFL that controls corrupt refs then it will be the same if Niners won it all next year. Or would it matter in that case?

I don't think Harbaugh left Stanford under a cloud of corruption the way Cheat Carroll did. Also Seadderall SeaRoids are one of the most penalized teams with PED's violations in the past couple of years. Lyle Alzado and Lance Armstrong were pill popping/injecting PED's for years before the governing authorities finally caught on. Those are not opinions, those are *facts.*
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Maulbert:
That is true, but only 2 players under Holmgren were members of the Super Bowl team under Carroll, Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant, and Mebane was a rookie in Holmgren's last successful year, and Bryant didn't experience a winning season until 2012. The fact is that ever since that asshat Tim Ruskell let Steve Hutchinson go in free agency, Holmgren's relationship with the front office was poison. I'm not saying anything against Harbaugh, he was and is a clearly superior coach to Erickson/Nolan/Singletary. I feel like the real question is talent evaluation, which even with Nolan/Singletary, I think the 49ers were doing a good job on. I really feel like McCloughan got a raw deal down there, and took the fall for Singletary. I mean, he signed Justin Smith for you and he did draft Gore, Davis, and Willis. Just my opinion.

If it's talent evaluation, and Carroll is as good as you say, then Williams and all your red shirted draftees from last year should get you back into the super bowl. Cheat Carroll is a good defensive coach, our George Seifert taught him well. Personally, I think he got lucky with the draft of Russell Wilson and with the drafting of Sherman. Lucky in the sense that they were a lot better than the rounds they were drafted in.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, so don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that it took Carroll about 20 years as a HC to reach the Super bowl and between him and Harbaugh, Harbaugh did it his 2nd year. On top of that, Harbaugh doesn't have any taint's to his record or has any championship trophies revoked.
You know what came to my mind the other day... obviously now im high and am going to post for the first time(and probably my like 10th time to reply EVER on an actual thread and have been reading here every day for about 10 years this being my 2nd user.).

Pete Carroll is supposedly known around the league for developing DBs, what DB's has he actually developed when he was at USC? If youd also like,to add to his track record when he was with the Jets&Pats. Think it would be interesting.

Thomas is a baller and one of the best safetys in the league and has never failed a drug test...Chancellor is also a stud(yes I remember the love I saw in mocks when he was coming out of VA-Tech) and have never heard anything of him failing anything&obvi we know about Sherm,Browner,Thurmond. Time will tell with Maxwell but hes looked real good every time I saw him this year. For the record to all yall out there that just do not seem to get it constantly... please give credit when its due please lolz and lets be 49er fans that carry ourselves with class eh?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
If it's talent evaluation, and Carroll is as good as you say, then Williams and all your red shirted draftees from last year should get you back into the super bowl. Cheat Carroll is a good defensive coach, our George Seifert taught him well. Personally, I think he got lucky with the draft of Russell Wilson and with the drafting of Sherman. Lucky in the sense that they were a lot better than the rounds they were drafted in.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, so don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that it took Carroll about 20 years as a HC to reach the Super bowl and between him and Harbaugh, Harbaugh did it his 2nd year. On top of that, Harbaugh doesn't have any taint's to his record or has any championship trophies revoked.

First, you can't count years he wasn't in the NFL. It's not like he was spending all those years trying to win a Super Bowl. Second, have you read anything on Carroll's years in New York and New England? While he was 6-10 in his only season in New York, he was fired by a micro-manager in Leon Hess and replaced by an idiot in Rich Kotite who only managed 4-28 over the next 2 years (see here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10340623/pete-carroll-only-season-new-york-jets-coach-was-wild-ride). In New England, Parcells bolted after a power struggle with Bob Kraft, who admitted he refused to give Pete any say in personnel after his fight with Parcells (see here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/01/pete-carroll-was-always-nfl-challenge/29hqX4jL6rZ5dfOWLTpHZL/story.html). At SC, they were 6-6 after Carroll's first year and fans were already calling for his head, at which point he decided that if he was going to lose his job, he was going to run the offense his way. In '02, the first year under Carroll's offense, SC went 11-2 and Carson Palmer won the Heisman after being considered a bust his first 3 years. Seattle is the first time he's had full control in the NFL, and now he's getting the players he wants. You say he was lucky to get Wilson and Sherman? Was he lucky to get Wagner? How about when he took Earl Thomas over Taylor Mays? What about K. J. Wright? No one thought Chris Clemons was an every-down DE when Carroll traded Darryl Tapp for him. Clemons averaged over 11 sacks from '10-'12 for us. Not to mention, John Schneider said Carroll told him every week after he was hired, "Now go get me Marshawn Lynch." Carroll pushed and pushed for that deal when most people were calling him a washed up troublemaker.
[ Edited by Maulbert on Apr 10, 2014 at 12:06 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

ted ginn jr was already here
Originally posted by crabman82:

But it wasn't until Harbaugh's first game that Ginn excited on special teams for us.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
But it wasn't until Harbaugh's first game that Ginn excited on special teams for us.

Then he proceeded to never duplicate that success
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Maulbert:
First, you can't count years he wasn't in the NFL. It's not like he was spending all those years trying to win a Super Bowl. Second, have you read anything on Carroll's years in New York and New England? While he was 6-10 in his only season in New York, he was fired by a micro-manager in Leon Hess and replaced by an idiot in Rich Kotite who only managed 4-28 over the next 2 years (see here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10340623/pete-carroll-only-season-new-york-jets-coach-was-wild-ride). In New England, Parcells bolted after a power struggle with Bob Kraft, who admitted he refused to give Pete any say in personnel after his fight with Parcells (see here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/01/pete-carroll-was-always-nfl-challenge/29hqX4jL6rZ5dfOWLTpHZL/story.html). At SC, they were 6-6 after Carroll's first year and fans were already calling for his head, at which point he decided that if he was going to lose his job, he was going to run the offense his way. In '02, the first year under Carroll's offense, SC went 11-2 and Carson Palmer won the Heisman after being considered a bust his first 3 years. Seattle is the first time he's had full control in the NFL, and now he's getting the players he wants. You say he was lucky to get Wilson and Sherman? Was he lucky to get Wagner? How about when he took Earl Thomas over Taylor Mays? What about K. J. Wright? No one thought Chris Clemons was an every-down DE when Carroll traded Darryl Tapp for him. Clemons averaged over 11 sacks from '10-'12 for us. Not to mention, John Schneider said Carroll told him every week after he was hired, "Now go get me Marshawn Lynch." Carroll pushed and pushed for that deal when most people were calling him a washed up troublemaker.

Heh, like I **SAID** -- I didn't call him a bad *defensive* coach. He's a good coach on that side of the ball, after all he started learning how to win after being with the 49ers and Seifert during our dynasty years. As for not counting his years out of the NFL. Why shouldn't I? It means he wasn't good enough to *be* in the NFL during those years. Now, admittedly, Harbaugh has not won a superbowl yet, but he's done something no coach has done in the NFL to date. From his start as a rookie coach, he's gone to three straight NFC CG and a super bowl. I don't think Pete was able to do that in Seattle his first three years. If not for Russell Wilson developing into an outstanding QB, Pete would still be hovering around .500 - with Wilson he's now hovering closer to .600. It remains to be seen if Cheat Carroll can maintain that standard of excellence and go to his *2nd* NFC CG. Harbaugh is already aiming for his 4rth NFC CG and hopefully we can get our *6th* Lombardi this year. 4 and 6 sound *so much better* than *2* and *2*
Originally posted by Giedi:
Heh, like I **SAID** -- I didn't call him a bad *defensive* coach. He's a good coach on that side of the ball, after all he started learning how to win after being with the 49ers and Seifert during our dynasty years. As for not counting his years out of the NFL. Why shouldn't I? It means he wasn't good enough to *be* in the NFL during those years. Now, admittedly, Harbaugh has not won a superbowl yet, but he's done something no coach has done in the NFL to date. From his start as a rookie coach, he's gone to three straight NFC CG and a super bowl. I don't think Pete was able to do that in Seattle his first three years. If not for Russell Wilson developing into an outstanding QB, Pete would still be hovering around .500 - with Wilson he's now hovering closer to .600. It remains to be seen if Cheat Carroll can maintain that standard of excellence and go to his *2nd* NFC CG. Harbaugh is already aiming for his 4rth NFC CG and hopefully we can get our *6th* Lombardi this year. 4 and 6 sound *so much better* than *2* and *2*

Just because Harbaugh coaches a team with 5 championships doesn't make him a champion. He is on his way to being the next Andy Reid.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by crabman82:

he took one to the crib in singletarys last game