There are 199 users in the forums

Pete Carroll signs extension with Seahawks

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Pete wins but there are always questions after the fact. When the USC program fell apart he had his ticket for Seattle ready just as the sanctions came. Did Pete ever address the sanctions or is he Mr. Teflon. All of the suspensions during his time in Seattle due to the use of banned drugs and Pete gives the impression he had no idea what was going on. Finally an opinion that is purely fan based, the performance of his players. They seem to be frothing at the mouth in a frenzy, these are pros not high school kids. How are they so "up"? Are they ahead of the curve with medication? Does Pete hypnotize them to achieve that state? Pete always gets out of town before the sheriff appears on the scene.
Part of his success is his experience in the league, and along with that comes the recognition that the position coaches must be very good. Carroll has been able to attract quality in that area. His easy-going nature would seem to make him any easy guy to work with. That means a lot in the grind of pro football.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by dj43:
Carroll certainly earned the raise/extension. He rebuilt the roster from junk to Super Bowl winner. He is a personable, friendly guy that players love to play for. In addition, he is candid and well-spoken with the media which gives him a little leeway in the press.

Jim Harbaugh's agent is watching closely, however, he can't make the same case as Carroll. Though Harbaugh inherited a loaded roster and began winning right away, he hasn't yet added the ring that fans and ownership want. His winning record alone is not enough to put him at the same level as Carroll financially.

No offense, but how did Harbaugh inherit a "loaded roster" that failed to make the playoffs until he arrived?

I keep hearing this, yet no one has put forth a logical argument to defend it.

Yup. People act like we were a super bowl team before JH arrived. All consistently bad teams have "stacked rosters" but they still suck because their coaches suck.

No. Tell that to the Raiders and Jags Fans.
Carroll certainly earned the raise/extension. He rebuilt the roster from junk to Super Bowl winner. He is a personable, friendly guy that players love to play for. In addition, he is candid and well-spoken with the media which gives him a little leeway in the press.

Jim Harbaugh's agent is watching closely, however, he can't make the same case as Carroll. Though Harbaugh inherited a loaded roster and began winning right away, he hasn't yet added the ring that fans and ownership want. His winning record alone is not enough to put him at the same level as Carroll financially.

No offense, but how did Harbaugh inherit a "loaded roster" that failed to make the playoffs until he arrived?

Yup. People act like we were a super bowl team before JH arrived. All consistently bad teams have "stacked rosters" but they still suck because their coaches suck.

Tell that to lions, jets, cowboys, tampa bay, kc, panthers, cardinals. All teams that sucked for years until they got a good coach or teams who are stuck with a s**t coach and a good roster

Can't have it both ways. Either the players suck, or we got a coach that put players in a (better) position to succeed. I don't know how a team that hasn't made the playoffs in like ten years can have a "stacked roster."

Tell that to lions, jets, cowboys, tampa bay, kc, panthers, cardinals. All teams that sucked for years until they got a good coach or teams who are stuck with a s**t coach and a good roster

Can't have it both ways. Either the players suck, or we got a coach that put players in a (better) position to succeed. I don't know how a team that hasn't made the playoffs in like ten years can have a "stacked roster."

Gotcha. My bad. Logic fail.
Carroll definitely deserves and extension. He helped build a team, from scratch, and they reached the ultimate goal in 4 years. Allen paid for the rebuild, he should most definitely pay for Carroll.

In retrospect, Harbaugh came into the league in the lockout shortened season. He wasn't afforded the opportunity, (nor the funds) for an overall gutting. Instead, He not only taught a team of perennial losers how to win, He also took a first round quarterback bust, and taught him to lead his team to the NFC championship game. In Harbaugh's second season, he took a no name backup quarterback within five yards of winning the superbowl. In Harbaugh's third season, he led his team to another last second showdown in the NFC title game. With two years remaining on Harbaugh's contract left, I'm curious to see how far he can take this team.

Carroll, Winning at Madden with Allen's credit card. = Great Coach
Harbaugh, consistently winning with the Bad News Bears on York's penny pinching dime. = Great Coach
Originally posted by TXHawk:
Um, no. Carroll's philosophy hasn't changed at all from USC. He began building a team based around a balanced offense with a strong running game and a fast, physical defense from day one, a full year before Harbaugh was hired. The Seahawks had already acquired Lynch, Thomas, Sherman, Wright, Browner, Chancellor, Thurmond, Maxwell, Smith, Okung, and Tate before Harbaugh ever coached his first pre-season game with the 49ers. Carroll never made any secret that his intention was to build a team that could run the ball and was more physical than its opponents on both sides of the football and it was based on this philosophy that he and John Schneider began rebuilding the roster. He also wrote a book in 2010 detailing his coaching philosophy called Win Forever and that's the template he has followed in coaching the Seahawks.

Carroll was nearly 60 when he was hired by the Seahawks, had been coaching for decades in the NFL and college and knew exactly how he wanted to build an NFL team if given another chance. He didn't need to be reminded of anything by Jim Harbaugh, much less that running the football and a strong defense was important for success. Harbaugh had more early success only because he took over a roster that already had most of its key pieces in place. Carroll and Schneider took over a team with an aging, undersized roster that was one of the worst in the league and blew it up and rebuilt it from scratch and still won a Super Bowl before Harbaugh was able to.

Lets be honest. Carroll cheated his way into the NFL. Ever heard of Reggie Bush?
He did build a solid team at USC, part of that was done against the rules but hey? Why worry if a desperate team like seattle is willing to look past that and throw you an nfl contract? no big deal

Harbaugh took over a team that was 6-10. Key pieces didn't start performing until after Harbs.

I get you Hawk fans started watching football and you don't know what has happened up until now...
But please stop falling into that stereotype, its hard to call you a fan base when such mindless posting happens
  • dj43
Originally posted by Bison645:
Carroll definitely deserves and extension. He helped build a team, from scratch, and they reached the ultimate goal in 4 years. Allen paid for the rebuild, he should most definitely pay for Carroll.

In retrospect, Harbaugh came into the league in the lockout shortened season. He wasn't afforded the opportunity, (nor the funds) for an overall gutting. Instead, He not only taught a team of perennial losers how to win, He also took a first round quarterback bust, and taught him to lead his team to the NFC championship game. In Harbaugh's second season, he took a no name backup quarterback within five yards of winning the superbowl. In Harbaugh's third season, he led his team to another last second showdown in the NFC title game. With two years remaining on Harbaugh's contract left, I'm curious to see how far he can take this team.

Harbaugh, consistently winning with the Bad News Bears on York's penny pinching dime. = Great Coach

eh, there are a couple of points here that I would disagree with but the main thing is both coaches have done a good job. IMO, Carroll has come farther from less and grabbed the big prize. He has the edge until Harbaugh's 49ers beat him.
Originally posted by Bison645:

What does money have to do with anything??? There's a salary cap and the Niners have been close to maxing it out every year.
Originally posted by theduke85:
What does money have to do with anything??? There's a salary cap and the Niners have been close to maxing it out every year.

Money has a lot to do with it.
Lol really?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I like how Harbaugh wins w/out the PEDS and 13th man
Originally posted by LVJay:
I like how Harbaugh wins w/out the PEDS and 13th man

Sometimes our players can perform without PEDS
And play better hungover than most hawk players

Sup'

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Sometimes our players can perform without PEDS
And play better hungover than most hawk players

Sup'

sup sup
eh, there are a couple of points here that I would disagree with but the main thing is both coaches have done a good job. IMO, Carroll has come farther from less and grabbed the big prize. He has the edge until Harbaugh's 49ers beat him.

Its the age old debate, "Starting from scratch", vs "fixing someone's mistakes".

My background in construction compels me feel that tearing down, and starting from the ground up is nearly always an easier job, than to fix someone else's work. I guess that's where we disagree.

Nailed it.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Nailed it.

Agreed. The SB trophy should put coaches on an upper tier, pay-scale wise. Harbaugh fits into the tier of best coaches who haven't won the SB.
Harbs still got the most of those inherited players that he could get. He turned them into winners and cleaned up the BS. He did in one year what 3 different guys couldn't do in 8. Harbs will get his ring too and all the success he has seen without the ring will be substantiated. The guy has done nothing but win. I don't have even the slightest problem with the way he talks to the media, in fact I think it is kind of funny that he doesn't share the desire to talk to them as much as a guy like Carroll, who seems to charm anyone with a microphone. Harbs should get just about every dollar that Carroll gets without a doubt.

I don't care if he has won a Super Bowl or not, if I could choose between the two I am choosing Jimmy and I want him to be here for a long time.
Share 49ersWebzone