There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Potential CB

Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Somehow I thought letting Brown walk was a mistake. When I saw what the raiders paid I was even more let down. Now it almost seems like a blunder. With all the wr talent in the draft and were essentially cornered into two cb picks.
I bet Claiborne would look a heck of a lot better on our D than the cowboys. We have always been able to get away with good but not great corners with the strength of the rest of our D.

The only mistake was Brown turning down 4/16 from us. That was his loss and Tramaine Brock's gain.
Is Justin Gilbert really that great? He's not much bigger than Verrett.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

No, he's being overhyped as all heck. People are acting like he's Joe Haden, he's a good CB talent, but not a Top 10 guy by any means. I'd still take Dennard over him who has worse measurables but didn't get toasted nearly as much and was far more consistent. I especially wouldn't want to trade up for him, he's not a shutdown cornerback at the next level. Good player but I've never seen him as having more than mid to late 1st round value.

His strength is his versatility, you play him outside, in the slot, move him around all over the place but he's got from being very underrated to being overrated very quickly.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM ]
Assuming Culliver is gone We have Brock as a top quality starter.

We have 3 returning players in Wright, Morris and Cox all who can play though we wouldn't mind an upgrade.

If we draft a couple of top CB's in the draft we will be fine. They can battle it out for a starting position and the nickel role and we will have plenty of depth.

Once upon a time we started 3 rookies and an UDFA in the secondary, had the best secondary in the league and won our 1st Superbowl. This year we have 3 great starters in place. We only need 1 starter plus a nickel back and we have a very good pass rush. With all our picks the 49ers will have a plan going in to the draft. if by some chance the draft doesn't work out like they hoped they will make more moves after the draft to trade for or to or sign a CB.

P.S. Thanks Culliver. Thanks for being another moron who was given the keys to the Kingdome and flushed it all down the toilet. You would have signed an extension this year that would have made you a multi-millionaire for life. Something the rest of us could only dream about and you piss it away. In this economy with so many people hurting you are given so much and show so little appreciation for it.
^^^ Culliver isn't going anywhere.

Anyhow, IIRC, it seems like our CB's get their shot only under these three circumstances:
1) New coaching regime (Brown)
2) Injury (Culliver and Cox)
3) Vacancy (Reid/Bethea)

Now that the older veterans are gone in Whitner, Rogers and Brown, I'd expect to see some big jumps in play with Brock (first year as a starter), Wright (first full off season and an actual shot at a starting role with us), Cox (after being humbled last year being cut by us and the Hawks, played his best football with us and another off season in our defense) and Morris/Culliver. Morris now has some PT and another full off season to get this system and his role down with us. Also, Culliver has had plenty of time to heal and I'm sure will be even more humble and hungry but is going to have to work his ass off to keep his #2 job. Also, Cook seems to be a good fit for wat we want to do here (more press) and given this is his last shot in the NFL, I would imagine he'll be extra motivated. Finally, add in Dax Swanson and 2-3 top CB draft picks and a number of DB's that will be picked late and as UDFA's and this is a rare opportunity to step up and earn a starting spot on a championship-caliber team and defense. In short, this is going to be an epic battle to watch!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:52 AM ]
Although the no name niners dB's have been functional the last few years it has been the only weakness on our D for a while. Because our front 7 is so dominant it allows us to hide lesser quality dB's. Tho if you remember in 2011 when we had just 1 cb playing at a pro bowl level( c.Rodgers) how much better we looked. I can't remember the last time we had a cb picked in the top 2 rounds... I guess its not our defensive identity but boy does our D look dominant when our dB's hold their own
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Mar 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

He's 3 inches taller with the second longest arms among DB's. He ran a 4.37 40. Verrett ran a 4.38 and has an incredible 39" vertical leap which is 3.5" higher than Gilbert's, so maybe that evens out the height advantage. Verrett might be quicker. His 3-cone drill was faster and his 20 yard shuttle was one of the top times at the combine at a ridiculous 4 seconds. I'll say this: when you watch the film, Verrett looks very, very good. He plays aggressively, tackles well and has amazing closing speed. He's very good at getting his hand in there and knocking the ball away. I think he's a year-one starter in the NFL.
gilbert is patrick peterson 2
Originally posted by Zachary:

If so, then we have to go hard after him even giving him our 2nd round pick. Getting a Peterson type of CB is a game changer for our defense. Time to go back to causing some turnovers!!!
If are on the board
Justin Gilbert
Bradley Roby

Very Good Prospects

Marcus Roberson
Bashaud Breeland

Late rounds
Louchiez Purifoy
Victor Hampton
Asante Samuel CB
Still available
Yes he came off a disappointed season due to injury's but in all provide a good depth at a very possible good price.
there is not much of a difference between the #1 rated CB and #5 rated CB ... there should be plenty of solid CB's available in the 2nd and 3rd round , just not the sexy popular names everyone wants, there is no need to sell the farm for one player, but we will make one move for the top player on our board , we have too many picks to not wheel and deal
Originally posted by Constantine:
Asante Samuel CB
Still available
Yes he came off a disappointed season due to injury's but in all provide a good depth at a very possible good price.

Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Originally posted by Zachary:

If so, then we have to go hard after him even giving him our 2nd round pick. Getting a Peterson type of CB is a game changer for our defense. Time to go back to causing some turnovers!!!

He moves sooo smoothly, easily flipping his hips and making it look simple, but he is not as good as other top CB's in recent drafts. He is a back half of the 1st type pick imo and I see him going in the 8-14 range.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Asante Samuel CB
Still available

this times infinity