LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Morris Claiborne?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I saw this idea tonight in another thread here and it got me thinking...what about trying to trade for the Dallas CB Morris Claiborne? There have been recent rumors he could be on the block - maybe he could be had for a 4th or 5th rounder as he's fallen behind Scandrick on their depth chart. He's still very young (just turned 24) with a lot of talent...maybe he needs a change of scenery and could be coached up by the Niners and be a better fit in their scheme?

I know we have to let this latest situation with Culliver play itself out to get the whole story...that said, even before this news today the CB situation is worrisome to say the least. If Culliver remains with the team and maybe serves a league-mandated suspension, who knows if he'll still come back from his knee injury to be the CB he was before the injury. I know the team has a boatload of picks and six in the top 100. That said, we're placing a huge gamble that a rookie CB will just step right in and be our other starting CB on an otherwise Super Bowl-caliber D (or, we turn to Wright, Cook, etc...also very much of a ?). Many on this forum think it's just that easy of a fix since we have so many draft picks...we can just plug in a rookie from one of those picks to be an instant starter on a team with a good chance to make a strong run for the title. I feel it's more realistic to assume we can draft a top rookie CB as either a nickel and/or covering the slot (like Verrett) but not necessarily starting right out of the gate vs. two WR sets. Who the Niners draft may prove me wrong and it may be the team's only realistic option at this point. Yet someone like Claiborne, who's young and has talent but maybe wasn't in the right situation in Dallas, could be coached up by Donatell and also be a better fit in our scheme (especially if more press coverage is in the plans, which maybe could suit Claiborne better).
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Mar 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM ]
I would trade a 3rd for him.
It's worth a shot. I'd also be willing to give up a 3rd for him instead of drafting a corner with said draft pick.

A change of scenery and system (I haven't studied much on him, but it's not farfetched to say he might not be a fit for the Tampa 2) could reboot his career.
There's also the Eric Reid factor, not that it should make or break any potential deal.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
It's worth a shot. I'd also be willing to give up a 3rd for him instead of drafting a corner with said draft pick.

A change of scenery and system (I haven't studied much on him, but it's not farfetched to say he might not be a fit for the Tampa 2) could reboot his career.

Probably wishful thinking on my part that Dallas would accept a 4th or 5th for him as he's still so young - since we now have three 3rds, I'd consider giving up one of those for him if that's what it took (too bad it can't be the third 3rd, pick #100, since that's the Comp pick). Sure, a 3rd is a pretty high pick to give up, but if this happened, the Niners would still have 5 picks in the top 100 along with adding Claiborne - I could live with that.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Mar 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM ]
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Probably wishful thinking on my part that Dallas would give up a 4th or 5th for him as he's still so young - since we now have three 3rds, I'd consider giving up one of those for him if that's what it took (too bad it can't be the third 3rd, pick #100, since that's the Comp pick). Sure, a 3rd is a pretty high pick to give up, but if this happened, the Niners would still have 5 picks in the top 100 along with adding Claiborne - I could live with that.

It's to bad we don't have leverage because of Cullys behavior.
I say enough is enough with Culliver, the team doesn't need anymore distractions rt now. I think they should try n trade him away to avoid further distractions and setbacks, Dallas anyone??
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would trade a 3rd for him.

As we now have three 3rds, I'd consider giving up one of those for him if that's what it took. A 3rd is tough to give up, but if this happened the Niners would still have 5 picks in the top 100 along with adding Claiborne.
There's also the Eric Reid factor, not that it should make or break any potential deal.

Didn't Reid start in the same secondary as Claiborne at LSU? I'm not sure if Reid was a starter at that time or not.
Solid idea.

I'm not sure how good he really is and if he's a fit.

We DO have leverage. We have a boatload of picks and our history of getting and developing DB is excellent.

MODS - correct me if I'm wrong BUT Culliver was a 7th round pick.

Still, if he has what we need and if we could trade a 4th or better a 5th for him - why not.

Dallas needs and wants extra picks.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Solid idea.

We DO have leverage. We have a boatload of picks and our history of getting and developing DB is excellent.

Still, if he has what we need and if we could trade a 4th or better a 5th for him - why not.

Cully was a third and is a turd .
Solid idea.

Agreed, and the underlined is true.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd be all for it, if Dallas is serious about trading him, I'd also give up a 3rd round pick for him.

It's a damn shame though he hasn't been what he was in college for Dallas. I thought Claiborne would've been the next Champ Bailey.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Solid idea.

Culliver was a 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Didn't Reid start in the same secondary as Claiborne at LSU? I'm not sure if Reid was a starter at that time or not.

It was ER's freshman year and he was a starter along with TM and MC.
Share 49ersWebzone