There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL's Proposed Rule Changes for 2014:

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
No more dunking over the crossbar. oh brother what has this HITLER of a commissioner done to this loveable game.


Now Female League

seems to me like they waited for tony gonzalez to retire and then passed this.

It was actually a penalty before (using the ball as a prop) and will now be enforced. I always thought it was a cheesy stunt. It would be way more impressive to see a guy like Sproles do it than Jimmy Graham. Would be worth something then.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
No more dunking over the crossbar. oh brother what has this HITLER of a commissioner done to this loveable game.


Now Female League

seems to me like they waited for tony gonzalez to retire and then passed this.

It was actually a penalty before (using the ball as a prop) and will now be enforced. I always thought it was a cheesy stunt. It would be way more impressive to see a guy like Sproles do it than Jimmy Graham. Would be worth something then.

Not true. When the league passed the prop and celebration rule they distinctly allowed dunking of the ball over the goal post as an exception to the rule along with the lambeau leap. Vernon shooting the fade away actually is a rule violation though and I'm surprised the refs never called it. That said it's a stupid rule.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
No more dunking over the crossbar. oh brother what has this HITLER of a commissioner done to this loveable game.


Now Female League

seems to me like they waited for tony gonzalez to retire and then passed this.

It was actually a penalty before (using the ball as a prop) and will now be enforced. I always thought it was a cheesy stunt. It would be way more impressive to see a guy like Sproles do it than Jimmy Graham. Would be worth something then.

Not true. When the league passed the prop and celebration rule they distinctly allowed dunking of the ball over the goal post as an exception to the rule along with the lambeau leap. Vernon shooting the fade away actually is a rule violation though and I'm surprised the refs never called it. That said it's a stupid rule.

I think the NFL got pissed with the dunking when somebody delayed a game by tilting the cross bar
Am I the only one that finds it ridiculous that the NFL is banning virtually every celebration except the Lambeau Leap? Especially considering that leaping into the stands is probably the most dangerous thing a player can do (to himself and the fans).
In the first 2 weeks of preseason they're going to experiment with extra points snapped from the 20-yd line...they have tabled the idea of snapping from the 25 for now. Personally, I'm good with XP's the way they are now...it doesn't bother me that it's practically automatic. If you really wanna make it a little tougher, fine, move it to maybe the 10. But the last thing I want to see is the 49ers be down 7, drive down to score a TD in the last minute, and then lose because they miss a 37-yd XP.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
In the first 2 weeks of preseason they're going to experiment with extra points snapped from the 20-yd line...they have tabled the idea of snapping from the 25 for now. Personally, I'm good with XP's the way they are now...it doesn't bother me that it's practically automatic. If you really wanna make it a little tougher, fine, move it to maybe the 10. But the last thing I want to see is the 49ers be down 7, drive down to score a TD in the last minute, and then lose because they miss a 37-yd XP.

Having longer PAT attempts would seem to make bad weather stadium sites a much tougher point spread call...my bookie is gonna be pi$$ed
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I think the NFL got pissed with the dunking when somebody delayed a game by tilting the cross bar

playing hypothetical here, lets say that delay graham caused still happened, but gonzalez decided to play another season, does this rule change make its way in this season? i'm not sure that it does.
Originally posted by baltien:
Am I the only one that finds it ridiculous that the NFL is banning virtually every celebration except the Lambeau Leap? Especially considering that leaping into the stands is probably the most dangerous thing a player can do (to himself and the fans).

They will wait until a fan get bloodied and then they will change the rule. Dumb ass NFL wants to keep traditions alive. What about the tradition of hitting?
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I think the NFL got pissed with the dunking when somebody delayed a game by tilting the cross bar

playing hypothetical here, lets say that delay graham caused still happened, but gonzalez decided to play another season, does this rule change make its way in this season? i'm not sure that it does.

I think the rule would still have been changed if TG didn't retire. The 2 long delays made it apparent something needed to happen. If JG could dunk the ball like TG did, like just dunk it over, there wouldn't be a problem. The problem is JG dunks it and hangs on the rim like a kid in rucker park. lol
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Why not let all 53 players dress for the game and be available to play?

I have always wondered this. I'm sure there is a decent explanation though

Competetive Advantage. If one team is completely healthy, and one team has three guys who can't play, one team could have a distinct advantage.

If 1 team has their starting QB injured and the other doesn't ,advantage. Injuries always give a team a team a disadvantage regardless of how many players suit up.

The more players that suit up the fewer starters have to play special teams and risk injury there. The more you can sub for starters during the game and be less likely to lose a starter. In a blowout the more players you can sub in and keep your starters safe from injury. It's better in the long run for every team to have their starters less likely to be injured. Especially teams that are not deep.

Also, why pay players to watch the game(not counting back up QB's)? Healthy players are not suiting up for games. It's a waste of money. It's humiliating.
but there is a difference. each team should have the same amount suiting up. i like the way it is. but they should do away with the practice squad and just make it a 63 man roster with 53 suiting up or something.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Why not let all 53 players dress for the game and be available to play?

I have always wondered this. I'm sure there is a decent explanation though

Competetive Advantage. If one team is completely healthy, and one team has three guys who can't play, one team could have a distinct advantage.

If 1 team has their starting QB injured and the other doesn't ,advantage. Injuries always give a team a team a disadvantage regardless of how many players suit up.

The more players that suit up the fewer starters have to play special teams and risk injury there. The more you can sub for starters during the game and be less likely to lose a starter. In a blowout the more players you can sub in and keep your starters safe from injury. It's better in the long run for every team to have their starters less likely to be injured. Especially teams that are not deep.

Also, why pay players to watch the game(not counting back up QB's)? Healthy players are not suiting up for games. It's a waste of money. It's humiliating.
but there is a difference. each team should have the same amount suiting up. i like the way it is. but they should do away with the practice squad and just make it a 63 man roster with 53 suiting up or something.

The practice squad is about money. They make way less than the NFL minimum. Also, because they are not officially members of the team other teams can take players off your practice squad. It gives the NFL a larger pool of players to draw from at a great discount.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol by 2018 the kickoffs will have been moved to the returning teams' own 20 yard line.

When I attended games getting there for the opening kickoff was a must. The crowd noise building as the players are running down-field, hearing the hitting. Watch all the empty seats at the start of the game if there is no kickoff. The downward cycle of a sport doesn't happen all at once.
I hope Goodell's zeal to leave his mark on the game so drastically in such a short period of time proves to be his own undoing. I thought Cuban hit the nail on the head regarding the NFL's greed and their desire to have football on every night of the week. I'd go a step further and say he wants it on every continent too and it can't happen soon enough for him.
Goodell's mission to turn players into faceless, nameless automatons is ridiculous. It seems as though he's doing all he can to take away the popularity and individuality of the players and placing himself above everyone.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The practice squad is about money. They make way less than the NFL minimum. Also, because they are not officially members of the team other teams can take players off your practice squad. It gives the NFL a larger pool of players to draw from at a great discount.

i know, and i laugh at a comapny with a $150,000,000.00 payroll would care about the difference of a couple hundred thousand.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by baltien:
Am I the only one that finds it ridiculous that the NFL is banning virtually every celebration except the Lambeau Leap? Especially considering that leaping into the stands is probably the most dangerous thing a player can do (to himself and the fans).

They will wait until a fan get bloodied and then they will change the rule. Dumb ass NFL wants to keep traditions alive. What about the tradition of hitting?

Tradition my ass. They're steady dropping the ban-hammer on TD celebrations in the name of "excessiveness" and "safety" yet the Lambeau Leap represents the most egregious case of both.

Moreover, I think the NFL missed an opportunity here in failing to make all penalties reviewable. Considering how many games were decided last year (and the year before) by incorrect calls, I don't see why anyone would object.

Carolina beat New England because of the refs failed to call obvious interference. That victory helped propel them to the #2 seed. Seattle has numerous drives extended in the NFCCG due to is being flagged for personal fouls that turned out to be clean hits. Hell, San Diego literally made the playoffs (robbing Pittsburgh of a playoff spot) because the refs failed to properly enforce the rules.

When does it end?