LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

Brown's contract laughable

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by kray28:
What the Niners did with that workout bonus was nothing short of a dick move. Classless would another adjective that comes to mind. Stuff like that would never have happened under Eddie D's watch. If you want to consider why free agents didn't come flocking to SF, you might want to consider that little episode with Tarell Brown did not go unnoticed.

To kray:

See - Antoine Bethea, Walter Thurmond, Julian Edleman, Emmanuel Sanders, I might be wrong on this but...Michael Bennett.

All players who were interested in coming to SF, only the money probably wasn't right for them.

And I believe Bethea was rated 4th best Safety in free agency.

So free agents DO want to come in to play, only it's about the 49ers money, not theirs.
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
He was a good CB for us, and he's a good CB in the right system. He's purely a system CB. Raiders do not have anything close to the front 7 the Niners have. You'll see what I mean when the season get's under way.

Oh, I get what you're saying. With that said, I did think he was our 2nd best cb. I think Cully is better...but Cully was hurt.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What the Niners did with that workout bonus was nothing short of a dick move. Classless would another adjective that comes to mind. Stuff like that would never have happened under Eddie D's watch. If you want to consider why free agents didn't come flocking to SF, you might want to consider that little episode with Tarell Brown did not go unnoticed.

To kray:

See - Antoine Bethea, Walter Thurmond, Julian Edleman, Emmanuel Sanders, I might be wrong on this but...Michael Bennett.

All players who were interested in coming to SF, only the money probably wasn't right for them.

So free agents DO want to come in to play, only it's about the 49ers money, not theirs.

49ers are definitely playing the "we're a winning team and we're going to pay you in glory, not cash" card. Pats tend to do the same thing. Nothing wrong with it.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
you sign a 1 yr deal worth 3.5 mil with one of the worst teams in the league? im thinking we werent the issue.

1 year deal, don't have to move, weaker AFC teams, almost guaranteed starting position. He'll likely come out of that smelling like roses...and get a bigger contract next season.

The man is betting on himself...you gotta respect that.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
you sign a 1 yr deal worth 3.5 mil with one of the worst teams in the league? im thinking we werent the issue.

1 year deal, don't have to move, weaker AFC teams, almost guaranteed starting position. He'll likely come out of that smelling like roses...and get a bigger contract next season.

so he decided to play in a division with 3 playoff teams?

there's nothing to respect about somebody choosing to play for a perennial loser for an extra $200K
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

there's nothing to respect about somebody choosing to play for a perennial loser for an extra $200K

You really think he chose the Raiders because of 200k?

You really think he chose the Raiders because of 200k?

I honestly don't know why he chose to play for the Raiders. Obviously no other team valued him as much as he feels that he is worth and a season with the Raiders isn't going to help that value
Not only did he lose 2 million....let me repeat.... 2 MILLION DOLLARS for not going to a workout (LMFAO), but he also decided to take 3.5 million instead of 10.

Who cares? Wasnt Brandon Jacobs babbling something similar after he left? That worked out well for him.

We put a number on Brown, he thought he was worth more, and he bolted. Good luck to him, or not, I really dont care. He's not one of us anymore. When we play him, I hope we show him why he should have stayed in this system, aside from that, he's a former 49er, I'll spend my time looking at current 49ers.
Tarrell was a good performer for us. Letting him go didn't make us better. There's some personality going on here and that's unfortunate. We made a lot of noise about the $2M and ultimately did nothing. The decision was obviously felt. Not sure about the contract details, how the money was offered by us. Obviously there's some hard feelings. Tarell was with us since 07.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
These workout clauses are common, maybe not when Eddie D was running the team, but all 32 teams do this. It helps the team in case a player becomes lazy, I.E. Brown, he should of known to show up for workouts. Not this blaming everyone but himself. He is what, 29? I'm 29, and know better to read all documents signed. If you can't read your contract, and realize you may lose money, then that's Brown's fault. He isn't a rookie. This was his 2nd contract.

On to the player, not worth the money on a 3-4 year deal. I have no ill feelings toward Brown, I think he played good for us, not great. We haven't had a great CB since Deion Sanders IMO. The best we have had might of been, and I may get slammed, Walt Harris. Dude was awesome for the few years he was here. Anyway, the money he wanted, wasn't happening. He probably thought he should be paid $4-5M a year, like other CBs are getting. Just hope Culliver signs a reasonable deal soon.

I hope we draft some good CB's this year. We need it for the post season. In my opinion, Eric Davis, Tim McKire, Don Griffen, were top of the line DB's for us. Yes, we have the hall of famers in Lot and Deion and our Super Bowl secondary in Wright and Williamson, and Hanks - but I think Eric Davis and Tim McKire were up there with Lott and Wright as Cornerback duo's in our 49er history.

As for Brown, I pretty much agree with your comment. He's a good CB, but we knew he was not going to stay with us when he was difficult to sign prior to the playoffs last year, and so we got Brock and I think he'll even be better than Brown. I hope Culliver recovers 100% and I really am hoping we have a great CB draft as well as getting a top of the line WR.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

To kray:

49ers are definitely playing the "we're a winning team and we're going to pay you in glory, not cash" card. Pats tend to do the same thing. Nothing wrong with it.

It's definitely a valid selling point. I think Jed has worked hard to make this team very respectable from a win point of view, from a coaching point of view, and from classy point of view. The fact that we've got a coach (correct me if I'm wrong) that has for the first time in NFL history - gone to three straight NFC Championship games from being a rookie coach - is a very big selling point to athletes seeking to recover from going to bad organizations like Gabbert had done. The fact that a 5th rounder (Brown) leaves us but a former 2nd rounder and a first rounder (Gabbert) comes to us, I think, shows that we not only attract talented athletes, but that these athletes think their careers can be rejuvenated with our good coaches, but also shows you how some athletes are stupider than others.
I honestly don't know why he chose to play for the Raiders. Obviously no other team valued him as much as he feels that he is worth and a season with the Raiders isn't going to help that value
He thinks otherwise and rightfully so because he is a sportsman.
At Oakland he will be #2 or even #1CB...total win or total lost. He hopes he could get a bigger contract next year, would be his last BIG contract, imho. But at an age of 30, I don't think that this is a good idea.
Originally posted by baltien:
Wait. $2 million dollars on the line and you have to be REMINDED to show up for workouts?

Negro please.

Hahahahahaha!!!Post of the f**kin month
He was thinking of himself the summer of 2013 when he opted to skip our excellent training program for that of his own because he knew he was in a contract year. We didn't extend him last offseason so he knew he was playing to audition for other teams. He didn't want to do us any favors by working with his team and with any new players we brought in. He wanted to look out for himself first and foremost. Nothing wrong with that but then you can't complain when the 49ers do the exact same thing. The team wasn't obligated to review his contract with him but his agent was. His agent failed him and at the end of the day the 49ers, under no contractual obligation donated $300K towards his family's best interests. This was something the 49ers absolutely had no obligation to do. Then after that gesture of goodwill we still couldn't agree on a deal and after he leaves he says we "slapped him in the face". Now might the pot be calling the kettle black? If someone just up and gives me $300K when they didn't legally have to I might call that a very generous gift and I would dang sure be thankful even if they used the very contract I signed to retract what I thought I was entitled to. At the end of the day we payed him every penny the contract stated we would if he met certain objectives and on top of that we gave him another $300K
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 20, 2014 at 5:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone