LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Brown's contract laughable

Shop 49ers game tickets
Nothing but a excuse. Good luck in Oakland
In your 1yr deal. See what u can get as a 30 yr
Old CB next year
These workout clauses are common, maybe not when Eddie D was running the team, but all 32 teams do this. It helps the team in case a player becomes lazy, I.E. Brown, he should of known to show up for workouts. Not this blaming everyone but himself. He is what, 29? I'm 29, and know better to read all documents signed. If you can't read your contract, and realize you may lose money, then that's Brown's fault. He isn't a rookie. This was his 2nd contract.

On to the player, not worth the money on a 3-4 year deal. I have no ill feelings toward Brown, I think he played good for us, not great. We haven't had a great CB since Deion Sanders IMO. The best we have had might of been, and I may get slammed, Walt Harris. Dude was awesome for the few years he was here. Anyway, the money he wanted, wasn't happening. He probably thought he should be paid $4-5M a year, like other CBs are getting. Just hope Culliver signs a reasonable deal soon.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
These workout clauses are common, maybe not when Eddie D was running the team, but all 32 teams do this. It helps the team in case a player becomes lazy, I.E. Brown, he should of known to show up for workouts. Not this blaming everyone but himself. He is what, 29? I'm 29, and know better to read all documents signed. If you can't read your contract, and realize you may lose money, then that's Brown's fault. He isn't a rookie. This was his 2nd contract.

On to the player, not worth the money on a 3-4 year deal. I have no ill feelings toward Brown, I think he played good for us, not great. We haven't had a great CB since Deion Sanders IMO. The best we have had might of been, and I may get slammed, Walt Harris. Dude was awesome for the few years he was here. Anyway, the money he wanted, wasn't happening. He probably thought he should be paid $4-5M a year, like other CBs are getting. Just hope Culliver signs a reasonable deal soon.

Actually, I thought the same thing right before I read that.
I wonder what the 49ers offer looks like compared to the other 30 teams that didn't even offer him a deal. Or the Revis-esque deal Oakland gave to him.
Originally posted by kray28:
What the Niners did with that workout bonus was nothing short of a dick move. Classless would another adjective that comes to mind. Stuff like that would never have happened under Eddie D's watch. If you want to consider why free agents didn't come flocking to SF, you might want to consider that little episode with Tarell Brown did not go unnoticed.

Obvious troll is obvious.
Mike Florio needs to go away and never come back
What the Niners did with that workout bonus was nothing short of a dick move. Classless would another adjective that comes to mind. Stuff like that would never have happened under Eddie D's watch. If you want to consider why free agents didn't come flocking to SF, you might want to consider that little episode with Tarell Brown did not go unnoticed.

Also, just because I'm not done with this, the niners didn't have any responsibility to Brown whatsoever in informing him of this. It is completely on his agent and yet the Niners Franchise took pity on him and gave him a 400k bonus for "good-will"

I can't think of any franchise that I've seen reward a player for something not in their control...

My other question,
we offered him 3/10mil
the raiders gave him 1yr/3.5mil

unless my math is wrong there those seem pretty similar
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Also, just because I'm not done with this, the niners didn't have any responsibility to Brown whatsoever in informing him of this. It is completely on his agent and yet the Niners Franchise took pity on him and gave him a 400k bonus for "good-will"

I can't think of any franchise that I've seen reward a player for something not in their control...

My other question,
we offered him 3/10mil
the raiders gave him 1yr/3.5mil

unless my math is wrong there those seem pretty similar

What a bonehead T. brown is for not accepting 3/10mill, he got the short end of the stick. Clearly he's chosen to roll the dice trying to wow the Raider organization so they can extend him and show him the money. We'll see how that works out with da raidas.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I always chuckle when athletes echo the same old tired cliches. "Their offer was a slap in the face, but it's nothing personal". Really...usually when someone gets slapped in the face, it's personal. lol.

Anyways, if we disrespected him I guess that means 31 other teams did as well. He didn't get the multi-year deal he wanted from anybody, Raiders included.

And LOL to how Mike "spin-master" Florio is spinning his web of lies this time:

"Brown exercised admirable restraint, given that the 49ers failed to tell Brown last year that he was blowing $2 million in base salary by not participating in the offseason workout program. (The team said it didn't know Brown was in danger of losing the money, but few in league circles believe that.)"

,,,,what? Florio please remove the seacawk from your ass, and learn how to become a proper journalist. His anti-49er bias is ridiculous and unprofessional.

Yeah I'm kind of in a pissy mood today.

LOL I guess Brown and his agent weren't at all responsible for knowing the terms of his contract.
Good riddance to this guy we are going to grab major talent in the draft, 2 CBs I think...

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Same here.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

lol. Walt was the man back in mid 2000's. Had a few good years.
Brown's new team extremely laughable
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I thought Brown was good CB for us and does deserve a better contract. His agent screwed up and Brown fired him for it.I think he had bigger expectations of the 9ers making him whole on that as a gesture of goodwill than they did.

NIners seem to think that he's a product of the system based upon their offer. He'll get a chance this year on a 1 year contract to prove that it isn't true. If he does, he'll get paid, if he doesn't, he'll be getting a contract similar to what that slap in the face was.

He was a good CB for us, and he's a good CB in the right system. He's purely a system CB. Raiders do not have anything close to the front 7 the Niners have. You'll see what I mean when the season get's under way.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I thought Brown was good CB for us and does deserve a better contract. His agent screwed up and Brown fired him for it.I think he had bigger expectations of the 9ers making him whole on that as a gesture of goodwill than they did.

NIners seem to think that he's a product of the system based upon their offer. He'll get a chance this year on a 1 year contract to prove that it isn't true. If he does, he'll get paid, if he doesn't, he'll be getting a contract similar to what that slap in the face was.

49ers offered him 3 years/$10 million, not sure how that can be seen as a slap in the face whatsoever.

He obviously saw himself as more than a 3.3 million dollar CB. Brock has a larger per year contract than what was offered to Brown. That is probably what he's irked at.
Share 49ersWebzone