LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Brown's contract laughable

Shop 49ers game tickets
Did the 2M that we didn't pay Brown still count against our cap?
The BS over his bonus is entirely his agent's fault which is why he was fired and hopefully other recruits avoid signing with him. As for the question of the 49ers not telling him, that's not their job. They may not have even known. Remember Denver losing a key player last year because they forgot? Sometimes you get caught up in the offseason with the draft and free agency and potential trades.

As for the offer the 49ers made him $10 million for 3 years is not a slap in the face. That's $3 1/3 Million a year. Somebody please slap me in the face like that. The player who won his starting job Brock signed for $4 Million a year. Brown would have been our #3 CB behind Culliver and Brock provided a rookie didn't beat him out and push him a little further down the depth chart. If he had wanted a 1 yr deal the 49ers probably would have matched the raiders offer. If the 49ers were undervaluing him how come no other team stepped up to offer him the deal he wanted? $3 1/3 Million for a #3 CB is not bad at all.

As for other potential free agents. They couldn't care less what happened with Brown. They either want the most money being offered or the best situation for their style of play or the best chance to win or a combination of the three. I wish him well but something tells me the 49ers offer is going to look very good to him after his raiders contract ends in a year. If he avoids injury he will be another year older and the other teams didn't offer him much this year. Next year will be even less if he doesn't have a spectacular season.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Did the 2M that we didn't pay Brown still count against our cap?

Don't think so. We didn't pay but $300k of it. We rolled that over but AB would know. If it counted anyway we would've just paid him. It was an unearned unattained workout bonus
  • buck
  • Veteran
Brown is no longer a 49er. Losing interest in his contract problems.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by buck:
Brown is no longer a 49er. Losing interest in his contract problems.

I think Culliver is pretty much his equal. We have a knack for finding good cbs so NINJA I AINT WORRIED BOUT NANHN
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I think Culliver is pretty much his equal. We have a knack for finding good cbs so NINJA I AINT WORRIED BOUT NANHN

i think cully is more physical. brown was a good corner for us tho.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I'm asking if we have additional cap due to us not paying 2M. That's about us not him.
I'm asking if we have additional cap due to us not paying 2M. That's about us not him.

It's a good question...I have no idea but somone may know...AB?

Yes we have additional cap from it.

Originally posted by theduke85:

Source?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:

Source?

I have 3,000,000 dollars (I wish).

I do not spend 2,000,000 on a cornerback.

I still have 3,000,000. I do not get extra money for not spending that 2,000,000.

Sounds simple to me, but I do get confused easily.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM ]
Buck I don't see your reasoning.

The total cap doesn't change, but don't I have 2M to spend on someone else because I haven't spent it on Brown?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Buck I don't see your reasoning.

The total cap doesn't change, but don't I have 2M to spend on someone else because I haven't spent it on Brown?

Well. I am not good a math.

If you do not spend the money on x, you can spend the money on y.
If you spend money on x, you have less money to spend on y.

If I 10 dollars and I spend 5 dollars. I have 5 dollars to spend.

If I have 10 dollars and I do not spend 5 dollars. I still have 10 dollars to spend.

If I have 10 dollars and I do not spend 5 dollars on x, I have more money to spend on y than I would have if I had spent 5 dollars on x.

But the total amount of money that I have to spend does not increase. We do not gain additional cap space.

Like I said, I do not understand math all that well.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Well. I am not good a math.

If you do not spend the money on x, you can spend the money on y.
If you spend money on x, you have less money to spend on y.

If I 10 dollars and I spend 5 dollars. I have 5 dollars to spend.

If I have 10 dollars and I do not spend 5 dollars. I still have 10 dollars to spend.

If I have 10 dollars and I do not spend 5 dollars on x, I have more money to spend on y than I would have if I had spent 5 dollars on x.

But the total amount of money that I have to spend does not increase. We do not gain additional cap space.

Like I said, I do not understand math all that well.

You mean we don't get a bigger cap.

I agree.

But do we have 2M to spend on someone else?

I think of "cap space" as the difference between what we have spent on salary and what we are allowed to spend (the "cap" -- our limit).

Do we have $2M to spend on someone else because we didn't spend it on Brown?
Share 49ersWebzone