There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 NY Giants making a comeback?

I follow their offseason more than most other teams because of NY friends and a hatred for them (just like Seattle)....

So far this has happened:

Replaced OC Kevin Gilbride with this McAdoo guy from Green Bay
Signed Walter Thurmond
Signed DRC
Signed Trindon Holliday
Brought back Manningham

Lost DT Linval Joseph
Lost Justin Tuck
Lost Hakeem Nicks

There have been other transactions but not that important.

On paper that seems like a pretty good offseason. I'm trying to look at it objectively....it "feels" like they have improved more than they probably will. Just having Manningham back is enough to trigger bad memories since SB 46 was the last game on their roster.

One thing for sure is that their defense was playing well last year and has gotten better. Their secondary is probably better than ours right now. They might be a top 10 defense now if their front 7 start to play better.

That freaking team has always been so boom/bust.....a few things go wrong and they are terrible, and they get away with a few things and they are so tough. They were lucky to catch lightning in a bottle that 2011 post season, and I just hope they don't return back to that form.

We need to go to Metlife this year and discipline them, bring back that reality that they are still in rebuild mode. The rest of the NFC West can go to town on them as well.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:20 AM ]
Wont matter. Nobody is going through the Seahawks or the 49ers.
I live in NY, and follow the Giants as well. The best move so far is replacing Gilbride, but the offense still has issues that have yet to be addressed. They were bad on O. Really bad. No RB, bad OL, bad Eli. The defense stunk it up against the good teams they faced the first six weeks. The rest of the year they played scrubs, and stacking the box against a Tolzien led GB qualifies GB for a scrub title for a few weeks.

Once the draft passes, and they figure out David Wilson's role we can tell how good they should be.

I hope for my friends sake they do make improvements(not good enough to beat SF)
If they cant fix their line, it wont matter. Eli isnt Peyton. He needs more time to read a D. With the pocket collapsing so fast, he'll toss another 300 picks this year. If they shore up the line woes, it could be a playoff year. But in that division, it could be a playoff year for anyone.

^Thats why they won't win, the boys have talent also
Who cares about the Giants. There are too many bad memories and lost Super Bowls.
Whoopty doo!! Another year another team who went crazy in FA lets see come September if it ever works for once lets see Thurmond play cb with nothing that resembles his former d, manningham can't stay healthy, Eli was one of the worst qbs last year and their oline and rb's blow.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Obviously my handle tells you I also have same idiot Giants fans as friends who still think Eli is elite and would rather have Eli than Peyton. Nfl radio said out of 38 of last draft picks 17 are out of the league 13 are back ups. That leaves 8 starters only one has been to probowl. That roughly 5 drafts. This offseason for them is an act of desperation. Reese and Coughlin are on hot seat and are desperately trying to save jobs. Bringing in all these guy doesn't work can't remember if it ever did. They still have no pass rush so their new corners are gonna struggle. A patchwork OL which means more INts for Eli and no LBs except an aging Beason who is replacing the guy who replaced him in Carolina. They will finish 7 and nine and that's only cause they play redskins and cowboys twice each.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
When we had Alex, I would worry because he was so conservative. Now we have Kap who can break down their defense with his scrambling so the Giants can add whoever they want and they won't beat the 49ers or the Chicken Hawks
Originally posted by Chico:
When we had Alex, I would worry because he was so conservative. Now we have Kap who can break down their defense with his scrambling so the Giants can add whoever they want and they won't beat the 49ers or the Chicken Hawks

Yeah, it's crazy.....we haven't played them yet with CK as full time starter.

Don't know how the hell they played Smith so tough. Even last year in KC, they picked him off twice and had they not turned the ball over a thousand times might have been able to win that game.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Replaced OC Kevin Gilbride with this McAdoo guy from Green Bay (Can't be any worse)
Signed Walter Thurmond (Probably not gonna be that great without an awesome supporting cast/Def. system)
Signed DRC (Only plays well when there is a new contract on the line)
Signed Trindon Holliday (return guy...meh)
Brought back Manningham (knee may never allow him to be any more than a 4th WR)

I'd say overall their offseason hasn't been as great as the media would like everyone to believe.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I'd say overall their offseason hasn't been as great as the media would like everyone to believe.

Their pass rush is still garbage and that's primarily why they were so successful a few years back.

DRC and Thurmond will help, but no DB can hold up if the opposing QB has all day to throw.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Their pass rush is still garbage and that's primarily why they were so successful a few years back.

DRC and Thurmond will help, but no DB can hold up if the opposing QB has all day to throw.

Good point.

While I don't relish in player's injuries, I hope that JPP fully recovers with his back issues and as is still in Aldon Smith's shadow.

They thought he was the next coming of LT over in the tri-state area and now he's lucky to be tolerated there.
Only the 'Skins were worse than the Giants last year...their once vaunted defense disappeared, now both Tuck and Joseph are gone from their DL. Good luck replacing those guys. Their OL was just awful...they couldn't run the ball or throw it downfield with any consistency. So, unless they can improve their OL significantly to open up holes for ?? and give Eli the time he needs to throw downfield, I don't like their chances to improve much. Philly's the best team in that division...Dallas will likely hover around .500 and the 'Skins are just pitiful. What was one of the best divisions in the NFL has become one of the worst.
its the nfc east and while philly looks to have improved the reality is that anyone can win it.