LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Albert Breer reports the 49ers "are not interested" in DeSean Jackson.

CSN Philly reported Tuesday that the Eagles had "taken inquiries" on D-Jax's availability from the 49ers and Patriots. It's quite possible both reports are true. Inquiring as to a player's status is hardly unusual, or a sign that a trade is imminent. The 49ers likely called, didn't like what they heard and moved on. D-Jax would be hard to fit under the cap in San Francisco.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If Crabs can sign a reasonable deal to stick around, it will be him. If not, it will be someone else. In the real world, there's this thing called a salary cap.

I think everyone knows there's a salary cap, and that's why Jackson is not an option. Fact of the matter is we're going to have to pony up if we want to solidify the WR position. Crab is going to be cheaper than Jackson and easier to negotiate with. We will essentially be renting Jackson and using roughly 10mil in salary cap where we could be extending another key player. Extending Crab just makes much more sense on multiple levels opposed to taking on Jacksons contract.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
According to the report The 49ers called the Eagles, so the 49ers obviously have some sort of plan(restructures or trading other players to the Eagles) to fit Desean under the cap. If the 49ers could make it happen id be all for it. Deep threat and dangerous PR.

3rd and a 5th along with LMJ and Baldwin
Originally posted by buck:
Albert Breer reports the 49ers "are not interested" in DeSean Jackson.

CSN Philly reported Tuesday that the Eagles had "taken inquiries" on D-Jax's availability from the 49ers and Patriots. It's quite possible both reports are true. Inquiring as to a player's status is hardly unusual, or a sign that a trade is imminent. The 49ers likely called, didn't like what they heard and moved on. D-Jax would be hard to fit under the cap in San Francisco.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Sounds like the 49ers were just doing their due diligence, decided they weren't interested and are now looking at other players.
On another note does anyone know if Josh Morgan is still a free agent?
Yeah due diligence. I'd rather sign Crabtree long term and save our 3rd rounder than pay Jackson to come here and complain. He isn't worth the headache. I mean the 3rd rounder isn't the problem it's paying him 10 mil a year then having to deal with his baggage. Either way though calling about Jackson, nearly coming to terms with Sanders, etc we clearly want a #3 to compete with Patton. We will probably go WR in the 1st or 2nd (probably 2nd) if we dont sign or trade for someone. Crabtree, Boldin, 1st/2nd vs Patton as #3, loser ends up 4, Baldwin/mid round rookie 5, Osgood/Jacobs end up 6.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd find a way to pull the trigger on this. Imagine 2nd and 3rd downs with Jackson on the outside and Boldin in the slot? Like taking candy from a baby....

Or save the $8 million, use the 3rd rounder to trade up and acquire Cooks, ????, PROFIT.

Agree with Ghost, but love Phoenix's South Park reference.

I declare a tie.

I thought that was a Kanye reference.

I think if we're going to take on Jacksons contract will essentially be saying goodbye to Crab. People already declare Crab a diva who is going to want too much yet we're going to take on this dude. Pray we don't win the super bowl with him or he will asked to get payed more than Kaep. I just don't think it's smart because we're limiting are financial options at a time where we need flexibility. Ofcourse we could cut some fat but I don't know if cutting the salary of core players to bring in a prima is smart.

Agreed, and it's doubtful that we could ever afford to keep Crabs anyway.

lol you think were going to spend 100 mil on Kap and not give him Crabtree? Whos he throwing to after Boldin retires?

If Crabs can sign a reasonable deal to stick around, it will be him. If not, it will be someone else. In the real world, there's this thing called a salary cap.

Right, but its not like Crabtree is an all-pro. Plenty of teams pay out big money contracts to their QB and can still afford the guys he throws to. Hes going to be a priority, given his chemistry with the guy were investing our future in.

But not a whole lot of teams ALSO need to figure out how:
- to keep an all-pro OG like Iupati
- to extend or pay their key pass rusher Aldon ~$10M for '15
- to extend a young CB like Culliver if he recovers from an ACL and has a great year
- to extend their pro-bowl OG Boone whose contract expires after 2015
- to extend their pro-bowl TE Davis whose contract also expires in 2015

It's about choices.

Would they love to keep Crabs? Yah, I don't doubt that for a bit. But would he be a priority based on his chemistry with Kap? I mean, Kap seemed to adjust pretty well to Boldin when Crabs was out in the early part of the season....that appeared pretty seamless. If they use their early 1st or 2nd to draft a WR, or sign a veteran next year, I don't see why Kap couldn't make that same adjustment.

I'm just saying, if he's affordable, he'll stay here. If he's seeking a big contract, I don't see him sticking around. Like they did with Goldson and Whitner, they'll let a key guy walk if he's asking for more than they can afford.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM ]
- to extend a young CB like Culliver if he recovers from an ACL and has a great year

It's about choices.

Would they love to keep Crabs? Yah, I don't doubt that for a bit. But would he be a priority based on his chemistry with Kap? I mean, Kap seemed to adjust pretty well to Boldin when Crabs was out in the early part of the season....that appeared pretty seamless. If they use their early 1st or 2nd to draft a WR, or sign a veteran next year, I don't see why Kap couldn't make that same adjustment.

I'm just saying, if he's affordable, he'll stay here. If he's seeking a big contract, I don't see him sticking around. Like they did with Goldson and Whitner, they'll let a key guy walk if he's asking for more than they can afford.

I don't agree. They're going to try everything in their power to keep Crab, and if the price is reasonable I don't expect extended negotiations. The offense without Crab was one dimensional. Shutdown Boldin and you shutdown the passing offense. It's why we moved from pass heavy to run heavy after the 1st 3 game. Crab is the future of the offense, and Kaep is the only other player on the offense that's as important to the long-term cohesion of that unit. The passing game is almost a functional unit, and will probably see things really open this season. You don't get smart when you're so close to having an area of long-term weakness fixed.
Originally posted by eonblue:

It's about choices.

I don't agree. They're going to try everything in their power to keep Crab, and if the price is reasonable I don't expect extended negotiations. The offense without Crab was one dimensional. Shutdown Boldin and you shutdown the passing offense. It's why we moved from pass heavy to run heavy after the 1st 3 game. Crab is the future of the offense, and Kaep is the only other player on the offense that's as important to the long-term cohesion of that unit. The passing game is almost a functional unit, and will probably see things really open this season. You don't get smart when you're so close to having an area of long-term weakness fixed.

The bolded was essentially what I said. If the price is reasonable, Crabs will stay.

But yah, we DEFINITELY disagree that the future of the offense is Crabs. I like him, but he's not that great which is another reason he needs to be affordable. He's a big-bodied WR with great hands and he does some good things with the ball, but his skill set isn't impossible to find. IMO, Jordan Matthews can be every bit the WR Crabs is, and he's bigger and faster. In fact, if we did trade for Jackson (which is the point of this thread yet not likely to happen), Matthews is probably the guy I'd then draft, essentially as Crabby's replacement in 2015.

But I digress.

Crabs definitely has chemistry with Kap, that's clear. But Sherman exposed his weakness at beating press-man coverage both at the LOS and downfield, and they're our main competition these days. So if that's your future offense, I fear for this team.

Again, I like Crabs, but he's not very fast, clearly has a history of foot issues (which is never good for a WR) and primarily makes his living 5-12 yards downfield. If the price is right, yes, bring him back. But the "future of the offense?" Please.....

And finally, you can't be serious about this:

You don't get smart when you're so close to having an area of long-term weakness fixed.

Please tell me you're joking. Ever heard of Harbaugh switching QBs during a playoff run, sitting one of the top rated passers in the league to go with an unproven, but faster, stronger, more explosive player who had little playing experience? Yes, quarterbacks. The one position that has haunted this team since Jeff Garcia left...that looooooooooooooooooooooong term weakness was seemingly fixed, when he got Alex to start playing NFL-caliber football.

Yet, when the moment arrived, JH didn't hesitate to keep Smith on the bench even though he got healthy, and go with "the hot hand." And he rode that sucker to within 5 yards of a Super Bowl win, then to top it off, he traded away that other guy.

So yah, Harbaugh has no qualms with "getting smart" about any position on his roster if he believes in the new guy, regardless of how much love he showed the old guy.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:55 PM ]
I'd rather have Kentwan Balmer. Dude is a beast.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Chip Kelly will want to poke his own eyeballs out if the FO let Jackson go!

Can Niners even get close enough to sniff his strap? Doubt it!

***K these writers/columnists in the offseason!!!
lol no way he's coming here.
Too much cap hit and no way to the 3rd.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Not a fan of his. His speed, quickness, and acceleration are amazing, but he is so "Me First," that I can't stand it. He'd be the highest paid guy on our team, talking about wanting more money. That's gonna make the locker room go crazy. Plus, we'd use up the $$ for Kap's extension, so we'd have to pay him after a season of throwing bombs to DJax. Nope. I don't think cooks has that type of speed, and I'm not sure Herron does either, but they'd fit here. Archer/Bryant have the speed, but they'd prob. be speedy decoys until they learned the position better. There's gotta be a fix that doesn't involve making a spoiled, juvenile malcontent our highest paid player.

Have you ever had dinner with the guy? How would you know?

You're right. He's never gone on radio shows or tv interviews asking for a new contract, and he was never a pain in the a55 on the way to his current contract, and he has never thrown public and embarrassing sideline fits, and he has never had his agent claim that he is underpaid and undervalued at $10 MM per. I must have just pulled my impression of his disposition out of nowhere. I should be ashamed of myself.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Not a fan of his. His speed, quickness, and acceleration are amazing, but he is so "Me First," that I can't stand it. He'd be the highest paid guy on our team, talking about wanting more money. That's gonna make the locker room go crazy. Plus, we'd use up the $$ for Kap's extension, so we'd have to pay him after a season of throwing bombs to DJax. Nope. I don't think cooks has that type of speed, and I'm not sure Herron does either, but they'd fit here. Archer/Bryant have the speed, but they'd prob. be speedy decoys until they learned the position better. There's gotta be a fix that doesn't involve making a spoiled, juvenile malcontent our highest paid player.

Have you ever had dinner with the guy? How would you know?

You're right. He's never gone on radio shows or tv interviews asking for a new contract, and he was never a pain in the a55 on the way to his current contract, and he has never thrown public and embarrassing sideline fits, and he has never had his agent claim that he is underpaid and undervalued at $10 MM per. I must have just pulled my impression of his disposition out of nowhere. I should be ashamed of myself.

And he's never appeared in any lame ass rap videos
Share 49ersWebzone