There are 225 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NJNiner:
He is a pint size receiver. We need a big body receiver to compete with the hawks oversized DB's

...or you get FAST WRs who blow right past the slow footed but huge corners.

More than one way to skin a cat.
I think that he would be a great compliment on the field. Crabs, Boldin, Jackson....

i worry about cap impact and locker room issues, though.

And Kap impact... as in how the $$s might make it harder to lock up Kap.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Correct.

Also, the Niners get 6.6 mil more on June 1st....Carlos Rogers was designated post June 1st cut so they don't get the space till then.

Frank is still counting 6 mil on the cap and would probably be asked to take a pay cut. What I don't know is how much Jackson counts against the cap this year.

Thats the 6-7 million the Niners will need to sign their draft picks
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I think that he would be a great compliment on the field. Crabs, Boldin, Jackson....

I don't think it would have an effect on Kap, but it might prevent resigning Crab next year. The question is how much is Jackson making compared to what Crab will want on his next contract.
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Correct.

Also, the Niners get 6.6 mil more on June 1st....Carlos Rogers was designated post June 1st cut so they don't get the space till then.

Frank is still counting 6 mil on the cap and would probably be asked to take a pay cut. What I don't know is how much Jackson counts against the cap this year.

Right...which means they have the full 3+ mil now and might get more from asking Frank to take a pay cut. 6 mil is ALOT for a 31 year old RB.

I just don't know what Jacksons cap # is right now.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:00 PM ]
He is a pint size receiver. We need a big body receiver to compete with the hawks oversized DB's

You don't fight strength vs strength, you fight strength vs weakness. A big receiver only gives a big cornerback a bigger target to grab on and hold on to. To disrupt a route, a cornerback only needs to delay or redirect a receiver for a couple of seconds, that is it. You don't want to have your receivers doing hand-to-hand combat with a defensive back, you want them getting separation and getting open quickly.

A big CB's weakness is their agility, lateral movement, stiff hips...etc. What receivers gave Seattle the most trouble last season? Smaller, "pint sized" receivers such as TY Hilton and Kendall Wright.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM ]
Right...which means they have the full 3+ mil now and might get more from asking Frank to take a pay cut. 6 mil is ALOT for a 31 year old RB.

He would be $10 million in salary, that's why I don't see it happening unless he restructured his deal.
Originally posted by valrod33:
According to the report The 49ers called the Eagles, so the 49ers obviously have some sort of plan(restructures or trading other players to the Eagles) to fit Desean under the cap. If the 49ers could make it happen id be all for it. Deep threat and dangerous PR.

Correct.

According to overthecap.com, Jackson has a cap charge of $12.75 mil in 2014, then $12 mil in 2015 and 2016. Looks like he would have to restructure or take a pay cut as well if he wanted to facilitate a trade. Unlikely given his constant complaints over his contract. The 49ers appear to have no interest in asking Gore to take a pay cut.

AB projected we'll be around $12.4 mil under the cap after Rogers officially comes off the books, and we sign our draft picks. So it would be very tough to fit Jackson under the cap as it stands right now. Would love to have him though. He's exactly the type of explosive, field-stretcher we need.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=DeSean%20Jackson&Position=WR&Team=Eagles
f**k that, don't want to ever see that asshat in a niners uniform.
F it. do it. figure out the rest later. Would make for one hell of a dynamic offense and we would have a WR that could stretch the field AND catch the ball. Kaep throwing bombs to Jackson would be lethal.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:05 PM ]

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it wont be much of an issue, especially at first with our strong locker room and being a contender; but it can go bad fairly quick as well. Especially if he feels like he's not getting enough targets/catches.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
According to overthecap.com, Jackson has a cap charge of $12.75 mil in 2014, then $12 mil in 2015 and 2016. Looks like he would have to restructure or take a pay cut as well if he wanted to facilitate a trade. Unlikely given his constant complaints over his contract. The 49ers appear to have no interest in asking Gore to take a pay cut.

AB projected we'll be around $12.4 mil under the cap after Rogers officially comes off the books, and we sign our draft picks. So it would be very tough to fit Jackson under the cap as it stands right now. Would love to have him though. He's exactly the type of explosive, field-stretcher we need.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=DeSean%20Jackson&Position=WR&Team=Eagles

Would rather just have them draft Brandin Cooks or Robert Herron if they are going that route, save the money, save a draft pick for something else.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You don't fight strength vs strength, you fight strength vs weakness. A big receiver only gives a big cornerback a bigger target to grab on and hold on to.

A big CB's weakness is their agility, lateral movement, stiff hips...etc. What receivers gave Seattle the most trouble last season? Smaller, "pint sized" receivers such as TY Hilton and Kendall Wright.

Never thought of it like that but you are probably right.
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Correct.

Right...which means they have the full 3 mil now and might get more from asking Frank to take a pay cut. 6 mil is ALOT for a 31 year old RB.

there is a million ways this team can get some cap $$ right now, mainly by extending/restructuring with vets such as Gore, J.Smith, Brooks, Ray Mac, VD, Willis, Bowman + the money we get June 1st from the Rogers release. I've said all along that I think sometime soon we will see a flurry of moves like that done in order to get Kaep & Crabs extended (maybe Iupati even as his # may have come down after a down year) with the cap going up over the next few years the FO may figure it out how to get that done plus eventually extending Aldon & getting another big time player like DJax.

To answer your question Marvin, I don't know his exact cap # this year but it's around $10M. This would require us to restructure with him, and push money over the next few years & give him a nice sized signing bonus.
Originally posted by DefSikNiner:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it wont be much of an issue, especially at first with our strong locker room and being a contender; but it can go bad fairly quick as well. Especially if he feels like he's not getting enough targets/catches.

I don't think he'd be a problem in the short-term. Jackson has vet status in Philly, so he feels a sense of entitlement there. Won't be the case here, where we have many tenured vets who control the locker room. I look at Jackson as a short-term player to help us get over the hump.
Share 49ersWebzone