LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
And yet we ran right over them last year. People tend to forget about Willis and Bowman and the sideline speed they both possess. Now add Aldon Smith and his uber wingspan making guys take even wider angles.
that was the game that we actually faked a run at the three yard line to set up a td pass to vernon. i just about fell out of my bean bag when that took place,,,, of course if i recall the niners infamously took their foot off the gas,, the the win became much harder than it should have been. that was also the game in which gruden could barely hide his disdain for roman and the play calling
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
hate hate hate..lol.

RG3 should be better this season. He once again got to see how Kap and Wilson preserve their bodies. With Shanny gone, he might take a different approach in playstyle.

Garcon + Jackson = trouble....add a good TE in Reed and even more trouble.

They will add another receiver in the draft I'm sure... .but this move allows them to concentrate more on their defense.

That is just too much damn speed for one team to have....

RG3, Jackson, Garcon...these 3 are some of the fastest offensive players in the league...and of course Reed is fast for a TE.

we have the slowest receivers in the league.....with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton. Thank God for Vernon.

jackson will help their O i dont anyone who is sane will disupte that, but when you get to the bottom or it, thats an 8 win team maybe 10 on the high end who if all goes well wins their division and gets smoked in the wild card round by the 2nd place team in the nfc west.

yeah, but isn't that a testament to how good we are? I don't know how fast you expect them to improve. If by chance they get wins against others outside of their division and do damn well in their division. They can still put themselves in a good position playoff wise.

and to be honest, compared to their playoff team two years ago, their young players are getting more experience.

There is no guarantee that we could go into Washington come playoff time with out new look secondary and expect an easy win like previous years.

they drastically improved their offenses with Jackson being added to an already potent (talent wise) offensive personal. We lost our most consistent cornerback in Brown. I've always believed in Brock when everyone bashed him, but even I feel that he takes alot of chances. We'll see how that goes with our new Safety tandem.

look, I believe in Bethea, Reid, Brock, Cully (still gets burned too much for my liking)... but taking off the 9er shades, if our pass rush doesn't consistently get to RG3, those Receivers will cause trouble.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Originally posted by eonblue:
So according to Richard Sherman Philadelphia is racist for cutting Jackson and extending Riley.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338901/article/richard-sherman-why-was-cooper-kept-jackson-cut

I hate to agree with Sherman, but I kind of agree with him on this one. Cutting D-Jax for "possible gang ties" or what not isnt a good reason. If it was to do with big contract, bad personality, bad locker room guy then fine. And no punishment for COoper + new contract doesnt really send the right message either. Although he played his way into a new contract this past season. This was an easy topic for Sherman to Bit$h about.

The eagles have never said that they were cutting D-jax for gangs ties. For all we know he was cut for having a bad attitude and being late a lot. They didn't put out the gang story. It's just a reporter speculating and doing his job.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
yeah, but isn't that a testament to how good we are? I don't know how fast you expect them to improve. If by chance they get wins against others outside of their division and do damn well in their division. They can still put themselves in a good position playoff wise.

and to be honest, compared to their playoff team two years ago, their young players are getting more experience.

There is no guarantee that we could go into Washington come playoff time with out new look secondary and expect an easy win like previous years.

they drastically improved their offenses with Jackson being added to an already potent (talent wise) offensive personal. We lost our most consistent cornerback in Brown. I've always believed in Brock when everyone bashed him, but even I feel that he takes alot of chances. We'll see how that goes with our new Safety tandem.

look, I believe in Bethea, Reid, Brock, Cully (still gets burned too much for my liking)... but taking off the 9er shades, if our pass rush doesn't consistently get to RG3, those Receivers will cause trouble.

and if your aunt had junk she'd be your uncle. any secondary is tested to their limits when they have an ineffective pass rush. this is about winning the super bowl and this signing doesnt put washington into that discussion. all that stuff being said about our secondary, now go look at theirs and tell me its better. playing us in a hypothetical playoff game in washington, they'll have more trouble with our guys than we will with theirs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
The eagles have never said that they were cutting D-jax for gangs ties. For all we know he was cut for having a bad attitude and being late a lot. They didn't put out the gang story. It's just a reporter speculating and doing his job.

i think he was cut because he clashed with the coach because of those things the KID said and was just not a good fit. all the catches and stats can not make up for a bad relationship at times
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by KID9R:

i think he was cut because he clashed with the coach because of those things the KID said and was just not a good fit. all the catches and stats can not make up for a bad relationship at times

that and Chip wants to use that cap space to build a competitive defense. it's something Philly is sorely lacking. with a draft deep at WR, this was a good move by team for the long term.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Wow - 3yr 24 with 16 guaranteed. That's not overpaid by any stretch and we could have found cap space to make it happen. Blew a great chance to strike fear into Seattle's secondary.

I've hardly ever criticized Baalke. But, missed out big time on DeSean.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Wow - 3yr 24 with 16 guaranteed. That's not overpaid by any stretch and we could have found cap space to make it happen. Blew a great chance to strike fear into Seattle's secondary.

I would agree with this if we enter the season without locking Kaep up.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

The contract DeSean signed could have easily fit in with 49ers. With minimum base this year and 5.3 guaranteed to count every year - we could have had him for little over 6M in 2014. We have couple million in cap room - and then you extend Gore to something like 3 year 10M deal with 6 guaranteed (extremely fair to Gore). His cap hit drops to half and we have 6M+ in cap room just with one restructure.

The fact that Baalke made a late push only tells me that we would have matched the offer 'Skins gave DeSean...(you don't make a late push by saying - we will only you less so plz don't sign the higher offer on table) - but IMO (it's pure speculation at this point) we didn't show big interest in him from the beginning and DeSean probably felt that Redskins wanted him all along.
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]

The contract DeSean signed could have easily fit in with 49ers. With minimum base this year and 5.3 guaranteed to count every year - we could have had him for little over 6M in 2014. We have couple million in cap room - and then you extend Gore to something like 3 year 10M deal with 6 guaranteed (extremely fair to Gore). His cap hit drops to half and we have 6M+ in cap room just with one restructure.

The fact that Baalke made a late push only tells me that we would have matched the offer 'Skins gave DeSean...(you don't make a late push by saying - we will only you less so plz don't sign the higher offer on table) - but IMO (it's pure speculation at this point) we didn't show big interest in him from the beginning and DeSean probably felt that Redskins wanted him all along.

Very true. Could be that he just picked the Skins over the niners. Maybe he thinks it's better for him to play ball on teh east coast vs being back in Cali. They could have easily made some moves to fit that salary in .

who is to say we missed out??? I never saw how he would fit in with our hard nose physical approach on offense. He is talented yes, but man he has a "me first" attitude. Chip kelly has gained the trust and respect with that team from what i keep hearing, and he is a very smart coach. he dealt with these types of players.
personally i'm glad we didn't get him.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Very true. Could be that he just picked the Skins over the niners. Maybe he thinks it's better for him to play ball on teh east coast vs being back in Cali. They could have easily made some moves to fit that salary in .

Oh come on. This is DeSaun Jackson we're talking about. He was complaining about making $10 mil this year with the Eagles. The guy is all about the money. All that happened here was that Snider had him in DC and told his people to make sure they didn't let him leave. There was an offer on the table, Jackson's people talked about leaving for some other meetings, and Snider's people sweetened the offer a bit and he signed. He knew the Niners weren't going to come up with that kind of money. I think the idea that the Niners could have made a deal like that work is crazy. That's just not the way Baalke operates and I'm glad that's the case. At least one and possibly as many as three receivers in the draft will out-perform Jackson this year. That's my prediction.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

Possible - Redskins showed strong interest him from the get-go. I think that plays into the minds of the players. These guys have big egos and want to feel wanted/needed. Had we gotten after him from the start - maybe it would have turned out differently.

I don't see how his contract would've fit? We still have a draft & need to sign those picks. We still might sign a ILB & a DB. We have some key players we need to lock up: Kaep, Aldon, Crabtree, Iupati.

The late push was probably more of a cautious / curious approach. From what I hear we offered $4 mil. We don't overspend. We use the "you will have the best chance to win a SB with us" approach. IMO we probably didn't show much interest because of our draft picks and the depth at WR in this draft.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:

who is to say we missed out??? I never saw how he would fit in with our hard nose physical approach on offense. He is talented yes, but man he has a "me first" attitude. Chip kelly has gained the trust and respect with that team from what i keep hearing, and he is a very smart coach. he dealt with these types of players.
personally i'm glad we didn't get him.

He had 1300+ yards last year. He burned secondaries with his speed. We don't have a WR like that on our roster. The 8-men box that Gore sees consistently would have disappeared with DeSean lining up on one side. We abandoned our running game several times and put the ball in hands of Kaepernick to go win it for us. We don't have Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson type running back who run outside quite often and need blocks from WRs. We run between the numbers and gettin' rid of that extra man in the box would have been HUGE for our power-running game.

And...even with our power-running game, we haven't really been able to exploit play-action pass all that much. DeSean would have been a perfect WR for us. He perfectly compliments Crabtree. Boldin is a savvy vet who would have taken the back seat for the good of the team. We would have used more 3 WR sets as well.

Seattle secondary is the difference between us and them. DeSean would have at least made the match-up neutral on paper.
Share 49ersWebzone