LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think we should do it and just cut him next year if we can't squeeze it. One year rental one desean for a 3 seems worth it. We can't sign all these rookie draft picks to the gameday roster.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
He is a pint size receiver. We need a big body receiver to compete with the hawks oversized DB's

False. You counter big, slower defenders with speed. You don't play into their hands and try to get physical. That's exactly what they want. If you haven't figured it out, that's exactly what we've been doing with Boldin and Crabtree. How has that worked for us? There are ways to combat defenders without trying to outdo them at their own game.
Originally posted by Youngone:
I think we should do it and just cut him next year if we can't squeeze it. One year rental one desean for a 3 seems worth it. We can't sign all these rookie draft picks to the gameday roster.

lol, we can't even squeeze it in this year.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

lol, we can't even squeeze it in this year.

They can find a way if they wanted to.

To be clear, I'm on the fence about this. I truly feel an impact CB and Jackson would put the Niners over the top. I just don't want to gamble with the future cap.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I can't say have such inside sources, so I have nothing to counter with other than he's a very effective player who teams have to account for when scheming.

He has been an effective player, but one year he basically stopped playing hard because he was upset about his salary.

My problems with him are his attitude and the potential impact of that attitude on the team.

I don't think you understand how cutting a player works. He counts over $10M to the cap next year. That doesn't just go away if you cut him.
The Eagles FO made a terrible decision in extending him. Are we really going to let our FO bail them out and overpay for a WR?
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Don't want him. He's a clown.
Dont want him he is from CAL
I say take him as one year rental and then go from there. If wanted to make it work we could. We're in the business of winning right now and this is what we need. It would also allow us to focus on a DB in the earlier rounds. I understand all the ramifications of this trade, so i won't be bummed out if it doesn't happen. Would be cool though...

I forgot to add my greatest concern. Could we be creative with a player like that? Would we take more chances? Would we actually utilize him until the wheels come off? If we did i would want to make sure we get our money's worth in him. Okay I'm done
Originally posted by sspiker:
The Eagles FO made a terrible decision in extending him. Are we really going to let our FO bail them out and overpay for a WR?

We won't. I feel very confident in saying there is a 0% chance this gets done. The numbers don't add up. He is due a massive salary for the next several years, he's not taking a pay cut in the middle of his prime, and we're not going to max out our cap for an undersized speed WR when we have so many extensions that need to get done.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Not gonna happen. Move on ladies and gentlemen.

Lol this lol
Originally posted by sspiker:

I don't think you understand how cutting a player works. He counts over $10M to the cap next year. That doesn't just go away if you cut him.

Actually, it may be you who doesn't know how the cap works. The only money that counts against the cap when a player is released is the guaranteed money (i.e., dead money)...since the guaranteed money is paid by the Eagles (and absorbed by their cap), there would be no dead money on our books if we cut him after this year.

Now, realistically, to get him under our cap, we'd likely need to restructure his deal and THAT would require giving him some guaranteed money and would invoke dead money should he be cut next year. But in the scenario he was describing above, there would be no dead money involved FOR US. Cutting a guy like Jackson with relatively large base salaries after 1 year would actually lower our cap number going forward, if of course, we didn't restructure his deal.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Not gonna happen. Move on ladies and gentlemen.

Lol this lol

agreed. Lol
Share 49ersWebzone