LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Would Steve Smith be a good fit for us? I think so.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Patton says Hi!

3 catches for 34 yards last season. Not exactly what I'd call a reliable third option. Steve Smith would be a sure thing. I love Patton and his potential, but if you've got a chance to get Steve Smith as your slot receiver you do it and don't look back.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Patton says Hi!

3 catches for 34 yards last season. Not exactly what I'd call a reliable third option. Steve Smith would be a sure thing. I love Patton and his potential, but if you've got a chance to get Steve Smith as your slot receiver you do it and don't look back.

how does he get the chance to show you he is that guy if you bury him on the depth chart behind veteran wr's? guy showed something last preseason and unfortunaltly got hurt. he was showing some things from week 17 on.
Absolutely - IF we can get him for cheap.

I really doubt it
We need to get younger and faster not older and crotchity....we already have boldin and he too can play the slot, which is where Mr. Smith's future is probably at.
While I get the argument many are making about a log jam, is it a problem we really have had? When was the last time we had too many good WR's? And do not foget the position m.o. the last few years...injury. Would we want a guy like Smith on the roster if we lose 2 WR's to injury? Every year I assume we have a few that will go down. Would a lineup of Smith and Crabs or Smith and Patton be better than Patton and some rookie? I doubt we can afford him but having him is better than not having him.
Can't see it. I think he will want to see some $$$. How much has he got left I wonder? I think I would prefer to gamble on a 2nd round pick.

this is where I'm at also English. I wouldn't hate it if he took a 1 year deal for little money but I prefer to get younger at the position.

He missed most of the season with a broken foot, before that they stuck him behind Kyle Williams. When they needed him to make a big catch, he did. Doesn't make a lot of sense to bury him behind another aging vet who has a year or two left at best if you're building towards the future.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He missed most of the season with a broken foot, before that they stuck him behind Kyle Williams. When they needed him to make a big catch, he did. Doesn't make a lot of sense to bury him behind another aging vet who has a year or two left at best if you're building towards the future.

exactly, i basically said the samething above. how does he get to show he can do it if you dont allow him to?
  • jlo23
  • Veteran
I say sign him for a GOOD Price, 1 year contract. Smith is tough and has good hands. He brings toughness and swag.
Harbaugh and Smith were briefly teamates in Car before Harbaugh retired that offseason

He makes more sense for Seattle or Denver
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Who said anything about burying? If he is better then he will win the spot. For the record I said Smith is a luxury we cant afford but the idea of signing one more vet should certanly be explored. We are one injury away from one quality starter, a rookie and a virtual redshirt..ASSUMING we draft a WR high. After that we are looking a the real possiblity of next year our corp being two young guys who may or may not have panned out and a one year older Bolden should we not be able to hold on to Crabs. A stop gap guy who has something left and would come in on a two year deal to get a ring at a good discount is just solid planning.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM ]
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/5744/would-steve-smith-make-sense-for-49ers
umm hell yes. we still can draft a WR.. have him learn under Smith & Boldin.. his desire to win can not be questioned
I don't think that would be a bad idea. He wouldn't get pushed around by dick sherman, that's for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone