There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Steve Smith be a good fit for us? I think so.

He will be a Ravens WR by the end of the week
I think he makes the most sense for New England. He's the type of receiver that seems to do well in their offense. Brady may be able to make up for his lost step.
He would be perfect here hes a tough physical receiver who loves to play the game. Hes super competitive and clutch. He works his a** and would fit right in with the mentality of this team. He wants to win a ring and would contribute to this team. Hes also a California guy i assume he would love to come home to finish out his career,
3 WR set Boldin Crabtree out wide Smith in the slot Davis up the seam how do you cover all these guys? Smith would help this offense in many ways also as a blocker.
Shame we cant afford him...I think he would make a nice rental. Having Smith and Bolden here for a couple years while Patton and this years pick develop would really ease some growing pains. Crabtree is no sure thing to be here after this year.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I think he makes the most sense for New England. He's the type of receiver that seems to do well in their offense. Brady may be able to make up for his lost step.

Yeah I was going to say that also. He would be a lot of fun to watch there.
DO WANT
I think he is a terrible fit.

Why would Smith agree to be a third option? He's still highly productive.
Why would the 49ers want to spend a decent amount of money on Smith? They seldom play 3 WR sets. This is not because we don't have good receivers, it's because our option is built around deception (i.e. any given play could be a run or a pass).

It doesn't make sense for either the 49ers or Smith. I would be downright shocked if it happened.

In a hypothetical world I would love to have Steve Smith on my team. But given the circumstances... absolutely not.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I think he is a terrible fit.

Why would Smith agree to be a third option? He's still highly productive.
Why would the 49ers want to spend a decent amount of money on Smith? They seldom play 3 WR sets. This is not because we don't have good receivers, it's because our option is built around deception (i.e. any given play could be a run or a pass).

It doesn't make sense for either the 49ers or Smith. I would be downright shocked if it happened.

In a hypothetical world I would love to have Steve Smith on my team. But given the circumstances... absolutely not.
I actually think the three wide thing has a ton to do with the quality of that thrid guy....if we ever had even a marginally talent third wideout we would run three reciever sets a lot more often...thing is we never do.
If we had a QB that could fully utilize 4 receiving options (Crabtree, Boldin, VD, and Steve Smith), then I would say yes, we should try to get him for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Since Kaepernick isn't at that level yet, I think we are better off developing younger receivers.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I actually think the three wide thing has a ton to do with the quality of that thrid guy....if we ever had even a marginally talent third wideout we would run three reciever sets a lot more often...thing is we never do.

Patton says Hi!
Originally posted by English:

Patton says Hi!
Yeah...the guy who was hurt all of last season I dont think we were installing any three reciever sets when his hand was in a cast or he was on crutches.

It is possible he will finally get his true rookie season this year....I expect flashes of big things from him because he seem very capable, but he wont be a true breakout reciever til next year if I had to bet. In the meantime a Vet stop gap would be handy...we just cant afford one.
Originally posted by English:

Patton says Hi!

yeah its a double edged sword. how are we ever going to have the young guys be considered as good wr's or viable options in a 3 wr set if we dont give them a chance? thats why this smith move or any other vet wr like nicks or britt doesnt make sense to me
Originally posted by blm7754:
If we had a QB that could fully utilize 4 receiving options (Crabtree, Boldin, VD, and Steve Smith), then I would say yes, we should try to get him for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Since Kaepernick isn't at that level yet, I think we are better off developing younger receivers.

But if you spend the season developing young WR's then getting back to the SB could be harder. I'm mixed with bringing in Smith but having that 3rd talented vet as your 3rd option isntead of a young guy, that sure gives you alot more confidence. My concern is the amount of money he'll want. We still have guys next year we need to lock-up.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Steve Smith just tweeted his goodbyes to the fans in Carolina (minus Rick Flair) and says he can still play. Based on his numbers I think he would be a good fit as a quick slot receiver with veteran leadership. Our "attitude meter" would off the charts with both him and Boldin on the same team. We could get him fairly cheap.

Thoughts?

Absolutely terrible idea. Another old guy on the roster. And we've once again missed a golden opportunity to add someone through the draft and develop them into a top-notch receiving threat.

Of course every old player thinks they can still play. Ask Barry Bonds about that. Barry is of the opinion that he can still play today, six years after the Giants cut him loose and nobody dared sign him.

There's a reason why Carolina cut him loose. His best days are way behind him. Time to move on. Stop signing old dudes.