LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

How can the Denver Broncos spend SO much?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by joshuatree:
They already made their decision by letting good players go, to keep Graham who is injury prone himself. I think in the NFL you have to roll the dice and keep a few high end talents in the hope you strike it big in the NFL Draft. Then you have a serious chance of knocking off a Top team in a 1 game situation. By letting go of high end talent in exchange for a bunch of good players, you probably won't have the overall talent to defeat a Seahawks. Then again, it's a role of the dice because if the high end talent gets injured, you won't even make the playoffs. Your giving up depth in exchange for a few Top tier guys.

It's an interesting way to approach the NFL. You're essentially saying you have x players (Brees, Graham, Byrd, maybe Vacarro) who you believe are great enough at what they do to make up for inadequacies on other parts of your team. But you're right, if any of these guys go down the job becomes so much more difficult to complete. My only issue with New Orleans going this route is they have so far weakened their offense in order to sign a free safety. If they are to beat Seattle it's not gonna be from Jimmy Graham having a huge game, he is always shut down by them. New Orleans will be an interesting team to watch in the draft for sure.
Elway's spending liberally because he knows their window for another SB appearance is closing...Manning can't play forever and is still literally one good hit away from a career-ending injury. They spent big on TJ Ward and Aquib Talib and reportedly are the favorite to sign DeMarcus Ware. I think the only way he's able to do it is because they're losing a lot of players to other teams...like Eric Decker, LB Woodyard, CB Rodgers-Cromartie, OG Beadles, and others. Since I live in Colorado Springs it's all Broncos all the time here, so will be hearing all about how they signed all these guys.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Elway's spending liberally because he knows their window for another SB appearance is closing...Manning can't play forever and is still literally one good hit away from a career-ending injury. They spent big on TJ Ward and Aquib Talib and reportedly are the favorite to sign DeMarcus Ware. I think the only way he's able to do it is because they're losing a lot of players to other teams...like Eric Decker, LB Woodyard, CB Rodgers-Cromartie, OG Beadles, and others. Since I live in Colorado Springs it's all Broncos all the time here, so will be hearing all about how they signed all these guys.

Yeah like I said in the OP, I live in Denver and all I hear about is how great the Broncos are and how they have the best team in the league with all of these signings. I love to remind them of Dan Snyder and the Redskins.

I usually never wish injury to anyone (with the exception of Dick Sherman), but I really would love to see Manning's career or at least season ended on the football field in game one or two, just so their insane front office tactics come back to haunt them.

Hell we had to go through that piss poor misery for 8 horrible years of mismanagement because of the bloated salaries and inflated FA signings in the mid/late 90s.....so I am ready to see them get theirs. Just like I am enjoying the deep trench that the Redskins have fallen into after their FA craze over the last decade.
Originally posted by SFFanSince72:

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Yeah like I said in the OP, I live in Denver and all I hear about is how great the Broncos are and how they have the best team in the league with all of these signings. I love to remind them of Dan Snyder and the Redskins.

I usually never wish injury to anyone (with the exception of Dick Sherman), but I really would love to see Manning's career or at least season ended on the football field in game one or two, just so their insane front office tactics come back to haunt them.

Hell we had to go through that piss poor misery for 8 horrible years of mismanagement because of the bloated salaries and inflated FA signings in the mid/late 90s.....so I am ready to see them get theirs. Just like I am enjoying the deep trench that the Redskins have fallen into after their FA craze over the last decade.

really dude? their tactics arent that insane, got an old qb so you go all in. if you wanna see it blow up in their faces just root against them to not win the championship. dont need to root for a guys season to end unless its richard sherman.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
who gives a f**k.

still won't win SB lol

then they'll go into cap hell.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
They can afford to overspend now since they dont expect $20M to be on their cap in 2 seasons. They will pay now to push for title and cut everyone when Manning retires.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Raul98.
Who cares if they spend all this money. They have no choice they have to go all in right now cause Manning only has a few seasons left. When he leaves there going to be in salary cap hell from all these signings. Even with all these signings the results will be the same they will win 10+ games this season they will look unstoppable. Then when the post season comes they wont get the job done and some one else will be holding the trophy not Denver. Manning is not post season clutch year after year he proves it. Last year with the best offense in NFL history to perform how they did just shows how the big stage is not his friend.
It's like I told a Broncos fan last night, adding Talib, TJ Ward and Ware means the Seahawks/Niners only beat you by about 12-20 points in the Super Bowl. And that's IF you can get past New England who will play it smart and give Brady weapons this off season and add help to the defensive and offensive lines.
They are definitely not building for the future.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir:
who gives a f**k.

still won't win SB lol

this times infinity , paying for old guys who probably will no longer be on their roster

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Amir:
who gives a f**k.

still won't win SB lol

this times infinity , paying for old guys who probably will no longer be on their roster

So now instead of 43-8, they lose 21-8?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
They are definitely not building for the future.

Both New Orleans and Denver have the same strategy.....aging quarterbacks will be gone soon, go all out and try to win a Superbowl, once the QB's are gone, cut people en masse, tank for a season or two, hopefully acquire a new franchise QB and start the band up all over again.
I was wondering the same thing. They must be mortgaging the hell out of their future
Dude Elway needs to slow down, lets take a look at who they have picked up so far...

1. Ware, he is 32 years old and he signed a 3 year 30million deal? dumb
2. Talib, is 28 and signed a 6 year 57 million contract? thats a big boy contract, i consider this an overpayment
3. T.J. Ward, no complaints here, anybody who can shine in that pit they call the browns is worth a second look

and now i find out they are going after Brandon LaFell?
LaFell made ONE play last season and all of a sudden ESPN fell in love with him. In my opinion, this is Elway's make or break year.
57 Mio. for Talib? 30 Mio. for Ware?

The Broncos should better win the SB next season otherwise Elway is a goner, imo.
Share 49ersWebzone