LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Disp:
Profootballfocus's quick summary of Martin in the preseason:

Right tackle Anthony Davis is just getting back from offseason shoulder surgery. He did not play the entire preseason but is hopeful to return in Week 1. If not, the right tackle job would go to Jonathan Martin. Martin has done well protecting the passer this preseason, earning a +2.7 pass block grade and only allowing two QB pressures in 76 pass snaps. He has not, however, been good run blocking — posting a team-low -3.8 grade in the run game

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/03/2014-preview-san-francisco-49ers-2/

Not sure I fully agree with that but he was outstanding in pass protection. If we could combine his pass protection with Davis' run blocking, we'd be alright.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not sure I fully agree with that but he was outstanding in pass protection. If we could combine his pass protection with Davis' run blocking, we'd be alright.

I guess we should run to the left hen he comes in.

I think our coaches will work with him on that. Also, for a 7th rounder we made out like bandits.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I guess we should run to the left hen he comes in.

I think our coaches will work with him on that. Also, for a 7th rounder we made out like bandits.

LOL...not quite. We analyzed each snap and this is what I had re: his Run Blocking (RB)-only for game 2 and 3. In short, he'd have a positive grade for RB as well; granted, he was in pass protection much more and I agree with PFF on that grade 100%.

RT Jonathan Martin

Series 1
Play 2 – Single, Run Block (RB) against #54. Quick snap, fired off the LOS, swim move and blows out the LB at the second level, spins and stands up to fill the hole more and helps open up a 9 yard run by Gore in that hole.
Play 3 – Double, RB down on #94 with VD. #94 had no chance/movement. What I liked about it best was that he one-armed #92 first to help Kilgore (who needed it badly) and then fired out to wash out Ware.
Play 5 – Single, RB and fires off the LOS and he and Looney pancake #97 Malik Jackson (6'5" 293) on his back!

Series 2
Play 1 – Single, RB washes out #95 out, shoves him on the ground and sits on him.
Play 4 – Single, RB blows up #97 at the line and washes him…right into the tackle (Hyde) over on the LG hole. Oops. So Hyde may have taken the wrong hole on this one as Looney pushed his man that way also. Carrier also filled that RG/RT hole. Hyde just wanted to pick up the first down (which he did).
Play 6 – Single, RB gets stood up initially by #92, then anchors and plows him forward as Alfonso Smith blows over his back for a first down.
Play 7 – Single, RB whiffs on #93 but it's a quick-hitter up inside and didn't affect the play.

Overall Assessment: I'm going to stop here b/c at this point, Seymour came in for Looney at RG. But Martin continued to man the RT for a while and the trend held true (Seymour played well also). He helped drive block for a 4th down conversion, showed some excellent second-level blocking as well, washed out pass rushers, etc. As you can see from the first two drives against Ware and their other pass rusher and LB's and DE's & DT's, Martin was damn near perfect. In fact, it's been a long time since I've seen a RT for the Niners play this well. Seriously. If he and Looney keep this up, we are absolutely set! I also love that Seymour has a real shot to unseat Snyder as the jack-of-all trades. That guy is also a keeper IMHO (and cheaper with much more upside).

Series 1
Play 1 – Single, RB. First formation was very odd. Looney was at RG, VD was basically the RT, Kilgore at C then, Iupati at LG2 (B-gap) and J.Martin at LG1 (A-gap) (moved to the other side this game) and McDonald was the TE at the LOS to the left of them. Gee, I wonder if we're going to run? Martin gets an initial push on #94 DE Corey Liuget (6'2" 300), Iupati fires to the second level and McDonald gets blown back 7 yards as Martin starts to lose his man as well. Gore tries to run between Martin's and McDonald's man and has no chance (of even cutting back inside). Loss of 3 yards. Here comes the pass rush (our M.O.)!

Series 2
Play 2 – Single RB. Martin has an excellent drive block on #94, gets him spun backwards and shoves his back/body out of the hole where Gore flies up in. Their LB filled the hole very well though for a 2 yard gain.
Play 5 – Single, RB. Drive blocks #91 back 3 yards on a run for 1 yard up the gut. His block had no effect on where Gore ran (A-gap to the left of C). At the end, he is laying on top of #91 who was laying on top of his own NT #95 who had that gruesome knee injury. Best wishes, Geathers. That totally sucks!
Play 7 – Double, RB. He first drives #91 out right and Miller finishes him off. Nothing inside to the cut back for Hyde. Gain of 2.

Series 3
Play 1 – Single, RB. Stands up #91 as James runs inside and falls down b/c the wind blew.
Play 3 – Single, RB. He drives #91 back and to the left 3 yards and completely washes him out. For perspective on how the rest of the OL did…James had a TFL for -5 yards.
Play 8 – Single, RB. Blocks out #91 again as Hyde cuts up inside his hole. Uh oh, we're in the RZ…here comes a FG! LOL.
Play 10 – Single, RB. Martin walls out #54 on the edge and James is TFL again for -4 yards.

End of his asssessment (as you get the idea).

Overall Assessment: You can REALLY see Martin's confidence is back and he is getting some nasty attitude out there against a very active and good DL of the Chargers who were also mixing in OLB blitzes and personnel. I loved the pancake block and subsequent slam afterwards. His technique is sound and he is much quicker/more athletic than Davis (esp. if we plan to pass more). At this point, I'd almost feel more comfortable starting Martin today over Davis (d/t momentum and the overall skillset of Martin).
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM ]
Thanks NC!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks NC!

You bet! Normally I'd go with PFF but we had done or own play-by-play analysis.
He is one ugly mf. But i like that. Lineman are supose to be beasts
Originally posted by CityKing415:
He is one ugly mf. But i like that.
we don't do that sweet stuff here .

Thank god we picked this guy up though. We'd be hurting right now if it wasn't for him. Despite the media constantly bagging on looney and martin both have played well up to this point.
this has turned out so far to be one hell of a steal
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

LOL. Good man!

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Jonathan Martin >>>> marshmallow martina
let's see what you got kid
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
let's see what you got kid

Have a great game kid. You're home now... screw the haters!
Kid go out kick ass and demonstrate excellence.

Become the perfect technician on every play.

Lombardi said it best, "Luck is when hard work and opportunity meet."

Here's the opportunity.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Who will Martin be up against on his side??
Share 49ersWebzone