There are 185 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Don't look now, but Richie Incognito has been cleared by the NFL to play again. He's visiting the Tampa Bay Bucs, who are not on our schedule this year.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Don't look now, but Richie Incognito has been cleared by the NFL to play again. He's visiting the Tampa Bay Bucs, who are not on our schedule this year.

No way it will happen, but imagine the look on Martin's face if he sees Richie in the locker room
[ Edited by 74offsuit on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I don't understand why some of you are so hard on this kid.. he's had a bad 2 years in the NFL.. he's young, he's got the size and give him a chance.. I see him as a solid "swing man" on our OL...

I'd rather keep him and continue his development over Snyder..
Originally posted by 9moon:
I don't understand why some of you are so hard on this kid.. he's had a bad 2 years in the NFL.. he's young, he's got the size and give him a chance.. I see him as a solid "swing man" on our OL...

Agreed! He's a swing-T but very capable of starting and playing very well for us esp. at RT.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed! He's a swing-T but very capable of starting and playing very well for us esp. at RT.

Yes, he gives us a very good option. Snyder is not as bad as some make him out to be. He is just the weak link in a lineup of very good OL. Martin, OTOH, is younger and cheaper and has a much higher ceiling. Watching him against some pretty aggressive schemes by SD, he looked like a starter. Kid is talented.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Martin has been solid the last 2 games. No pressures given up either game. Definitely prefer him over Snyder.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Martin has been solid the last 2 games. No pressures given up either game. Definitely prefer him over Snyder.

We know he's emotional, and the ability to turn that emotion into performance will serve us well.

Happy with this pick up.
Good move getting him.
This is looking like a great trade. We only gave up a 7th, and as I recall it was a conditional 7th, meaning we give up nothing if he doesn't make the team. Anyway, he's obviously played very well, so we'll definitely be keeping him.

Because when he was being effed with by a couple of sociopaths in Miami he didn't lash out physically and handle his business.

He's turned a page on a new chapter in his life.

Great for him and Great for us if keeps developing.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's turned a page on a new chapter in his life.

Great for him and Great for us if keeps developing.

Certainly think he has more to offer down the road than Snyder does.
Seems like Martin will make it as the #3 tackle (at least until boone is back) and backup guard. A 7th isn't a big deal and he's signed fro 800 and some k where Snyder is like 1.3 or so. Plus Martin is signed for next year if we keep him at 1.042 mil I think. He got off to a rough start with some missed blocks and a penalty in the first game but he's played pretty solid the last 3 games.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Profootballfocus's quick summary of Martin in the preseason:

Right tackle Anthony Davis is just getting back from offseason shoulder surgery. He did not play the entire preseason but is hopeful to return in Week 1. If not, the right tackle job would go to Jonathan Martin. Martin has done well protecting the passer this preseason, earning a +2.7 pass block grade and only allowing two QB pressures in 76 pass snaps. He has not, however, been good run blocking — posting a team-low -3.8 grade in the run game

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/03/2014-preview-san-francisco-49ers-2/
I heard Baalke really f**ked up by trading for this bust.

Now I hear.....crickets

Thankfully our front office is objective because a 7th rounder for this guy was genius and he could potentially be a starter in a couple of years.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone