There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Interesting how many people "know" how Martin (and others) performed in the game. I'd be surprised if there are more than 10-15 people on the Planet that really know - and that's the 49'ers Players and Coaches in the room reviewing game film.

Between the assignments, the adjustments, and the actual play, it has to be very difficult to KNOW who did bad/good/indifferent (other than falling flat on your face or butt) unless you are reviewing the game film, hearing the assignments called by the Center, then seeing the shift by the defense and making the proper adjustments.

If the guy next to you you fails to make the proper read and adjust to it, so you try to help/cover, and it looks like you blew it when it was really at least partially the other player's fault.

Just sayin'
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I'm calling that Bykowski beats out Martin for the swing tackle job.

You will be wrong

for Kaps sake, you should hope I'm right. Martin is soft
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

You will be wrong

I've always liked brute strong linemen vs quick and fast linemen. In that sense - I'm going against some west coast offensive principles. It's always been my thinking that a strong run game is the best pass protection for a QB. It's when you can't run is when the QB is going to get hurt because the D-line is going to pin their ears back and try to kill the QB.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Interesting how many people "know" how Martin (and others) performed in the game. I'd be surprised if there are more than 10-15 people on the Planet that really know - and that's the 49'ers Players and Coaches in the room reviewing game film.

Between the assignments, the adjustments, and the actual play, it has to be very difficult to KNOW who did bad/good/indifferent (other than falling flat on your face or butt) unless you are reviewing the game film, hearing the assignments called by the Center, then seeing the shift by the defense and making the proper adjustments.

If the guy next to you you fails to make the proper read and adjust to it, so you try to help/cover, and it looks like you blew it when it was really at least partially the other player's fault.

Just sayin'

This is true so it's especially hard to grade OL. Other than obvious individual battles and leverage, it's hard to tell. So many factors play into appropriatley grading OL.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Just sayin'

This is true so it's especially hard to grade OL. Other than obvious individual battles and leverage, it's hard to tell. So many factors play into appropriatley grading OL.

I'd like to see him improve though. Kwami never did, I hope this kid can - but I don't know how much time he has considering there are several linemen that are capable of possibly staring ahead of him. Bykowski, Marcus and possibly Seymour come to mind.

You will be wrong

That would require me believing you are right about your Martin assessment.

If you were truly worried about Kap, you would hope Iupati remembers how to pass block again.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM ]
Is this guy cut yet?
Originally posted by Giedi:

Just sayin'

I'd like to see him improve though. Kwami never did, I hope this kid can - but I don't know how much time he has considering there are several linemen that are capable of possibly staring ahead of him. Bykowski, Marcus and possibly Seymour come to mind.

For sure. I just did an assessment of Looney. I may go back and do one specifically for Martin but my guestimate is that the best to worst looked like Staley - Looney - Martin - Iupati/Kilgore (tie).
Originally posted by Giedi:

Just sayin'

For sure. I just did an assessment of Looney. I may go back and do one specifically for Martin but my guestimate is that the best to worst looked like Staley - Looney - Martin - Iupati/Kilgore (tie).

If you couple that with only allowing 1 sack in the first half, I would say our offensive line had a good overall performance and that our offensive problems stemmed from probably two positions. QB initially and then QB and RB once Hyde left. Hampton was very bad running and blocking in my opinion.
If you couple that with only allowing 1 sack in the first half, I would say our offensive line had a good overall performance and that our offensive problems stemmed from probably two positions. QB initially and then QB and RB once Hyde left. Hampton was very bad running and blocking in my opinion.

Can't argue that one!
hard to Grade the offence when they hold the ball 26 minutes
Do people actually watch the games? I thought Jmart played decently well. I am seeing more ignorant comments in both this and the Looney thread than I expected honestly, and remember this is the zone so my expectations were low.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Do people actually watch the games? I thought Jmart played decently well. I am seeing more ignorant comments in both this and the Looney thread than I expected honestly, and remember this is the zone so my expectations were low.

It's the first preseason game. A lot of the webzoners will be wrong, and only a few will be right.
Originally posted by WINiner:

I wouldn't say he played well nor bad. it is only 1 game. but man listening to the beat writers on KNBR they sure have said he's been abused in practice..but that just speaks volume of our Defense
If he needs some toughness bring in Incognito as a consultant.