There are 298 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
His time in Miami really screwed him up. I doubt he'd be awful if we drafted him instead. The time away from football because of the bullying and what not set him back big time... then the off season, then the Mono.

I'm hoping that he takes all his frustrations out on some Raven defenders... I'd like nothing more than him to prove us (pessimistic ones) all wrong.

BTW, who is mentioning that he is gay? I had mentioned earlier that "rumor has it" blah blah, but I even stated that I didn't believe the rumor. I also mentioned that it wouldn't matter if he was... just as long as he can play good. Although, (IF he was) it's not like I would want to watch him swapping cake with anyone on TV doe, that is all
Originally posted by LVJay:
His time in Miami really screwed him up. I doubt he'd be awful if we drafted him instead. The time away from football because of the bullying and what not set him back big time... then the off season, then the Mono.

I'm hoping that he takes all his frustrations out on some Raven defenders... I'd like nothing more than him to prove us (pessimistic ones) all wrong.

BTW, who is mentioning that he is gay? I had mentioned earlier that "rumor has it" blah blah, but I even stated that I didn't believe the rumor. I also mentioned that it wouldn't matter if he was... just as long as he can play good. Although, (IF he was) it's not like I would want to watch him swapping cake with anyone on TV doe, that is all

That's already been done and is now passe

We all knew Kwame was gay, or at least a lot of us suspected it. Gay man's anus burgers anyone lol (even well before his rice / soysauce / underwear debacle lol).
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
That's already been done and is now passe

We all knew Kwame was gay, or at least a lot of us suspected it. Gay man's anus burgers anyone lol (even well before his rice / soysauce / underwear debacle lol).

Man, u messed me up bro... I was trying to be sincere and somewhat apologetic, expressing my sensitive side
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by DeUh:

Somehow thought you two were speaking about his college career. Not sure why.

This article is from Feb 4 2013.

Run Blocking

"The folks at PFF use number grades, but I've "translated" the grades into 1 of 6 categories.
Good = positive grade; Great = strongly positive (> 1.0); Superb (> 3.0)
Bad = negative grade; Awful = strongly negative (< -1.0); Disaster (< -3.0)
Run-Blocking (DNP = Did Not Play enough snaps to earn significant grade)"

Jonathan Martin improved as a run-blocker as the season went on, and did well after he switched to left tackle, though he ended up finishing the season ranked only 50th at run blocking amongst NFL tackles. That low ranking is mostly due to his early struggles at right tackle bringing down his cumulative grade.

Pass Blocking

"The folks at PFF use number grades, but I've "translated" the grades into 1 of 6 categories.
Good = positive grade; Great = strongly positive (> 1.0); Superb (> 3.0)
Bad = negative grade; Awful = strongly negative (< -1.0); Disaster (< -3.0)
Run-Blocking (DNP = Did Not Play enough snaps to earn significant grade)"

Jonathan Martin consistently struggled as a pass-blocker, finishing the season ranked 54th out of 57 tackles at pass blocking (one of the worst in the NFL). He had bad games against the Patriots, Texans, 49'ers, Bills, Colts, and Cardinals, and half of those came as a left tackle. Per PFF, Martin's in-season improvement was mostly in run-blocking. The hope is that offseason reps at left-tackle and time time in the weight room improve Martin's strength and balance in pass protection.

Here is the whole article: http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/4/3901992/miami-dolphins-season-in-review-offensive-line-trench-warfare

Top 35 Left Tackle List from Feb 19, 2014 by Matt Miller

Pass Block: Jonathan Martin (6'5", 312 lbs, two seasons) made plenty of headlines during the season, but much of it had nothing to do with football. The Stanford product struggled after being handed the left tackle position heading into the season. He displays decent footwork and an ability to slide well enough for the position, but he will let defenders initiate contact with him. He often lets pass-rushers get underneath his pads and knock him off balance without displaying much of a punch upon first contact.

Run Block: Martin moves well for a tackle and is more of a finesse blocker than mauler. He relies on body positioning and footwork to help sustain his blocks rather than strength and drive to finish off defenders. He can easily be shedded by a defender if he's not in perfect position with his lower half. He doesn't possess the strength to make up for bad positioning or balance when engaged.

Overall: Martin has the tools to be a starting offensive lineman in the NFL. He's played both tackle positions in Miami, and while he struggled on the left side, giving up six sacks in just six games, he doesn't possess the physicality to anchor the right side of an offensive line in the run game. He's best suited for the left side, but he will need a lot of work before he can be trusted with a starting position.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949453-br-nfl-1000-top-35-left-tackles/page/9

Originally posted by thl408:
Articles keep saying he is a run blocker that relies on leverage and positioning as opposed to strength. Sounds like he's a better fit for a zone blocking run scheme and would not cut it as a guard in this 49er run offense.

Lol I remember it bein said that some didnt understand why others felt Snuggle Bear had no value to this team. Somethin along the lines of an "uniformed opinion".

Some already knew about his trash ranking amongst T's. 54th out of 57 pass blocking?? Really?? You really want that amongst one of the best OL's in football?? Stats AND the eyeball dont lie.

A better fit for a zone blocking scheme? Is that what we run?? Eh, no. So how does he have value for THIS team? Lemme guess, the ol "switch em to another position" POV? Gimme a break, that doesnt work for every player. Everyone doesnt buy into that notion. Why go against the grain on some new s**t, why not use him at what he's good at?? (Lol what ever the f**k that is )

The above table, stats and his so-called skillset is exactly why I said a lil while ago I didnt feel he had any value for this team. Last I checked, the NFC WEST have some pretty dominant DL's. I saw #8 go down for retirement because of a scrub, I dont want #7 goin down because of another scrub backup, AT THE MOST IMPORTANT OL POSITION, LT. I really dont feel he can switch to G in our scheme either. Im all for any player improving and helping the team, I jus dont see it in Snuggle Bear. Martin please prove me wrong, Im waiting.

My question is can the guy get stronger? If he's like Qwami Harris, the answer was no. I think that is the reason Harbaugh and Baalke didn't touch this guy in the draft. As a backup LT and backup G, he might work out if he's not strong, but this is power run team - we need very strong man blockers that can regularly road grade top of the line DT's and DE's. That's the division we play in. Next year - if he hasn't developed the strength needed in this power run offense, in my opinion he should be traded/cut.
Originally posted by Giedi:
This is power run team - we need very strong man blockers that can regularly road grade top of the line DT's and DE's. That's the division we play in.

This

Exactly the point ive been tryin to make. Finesse blocker on a power run team sounds like a square peg in a round hole. It takes the value away to me because I dont feel you can maximize his ability in our system. Therefore, no value for us, or not as much as it would be somewhere as thl48 mentioned, in a zone scheme.

My personal belief is use a guy at what he's good at, why go against the grain? Valuable time is wasted in the process of tryin to fit that peg into said hole.
He better not get Kap hurt
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

That's what am saying, If he gets owned tonite we know what we have in our hands with Mr. Snuggle
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

That's what am saying, If he gets owned tonite we know what we have in our hands with Mr. Snuggle

yes but if okoye gets owned, we will say he just needs a little more time
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by cciowa:

There's a double in your standard sir!!!
i am serious and do not call me shirley

That's not even a fair comparison Okoye is playing football for the 1st time in his life, there will be growing pains of course for someone that is new to the game, while i am not sure how long Martin has been playing football i am certain since he at least played College ball & at one point he played High School football to get recruited by a Division 1 school like Stanford yeah hes been playing the game for a while deft. Plus last time i checked Martin has been a starter both in college & in the pro's as well. Okeye has barely seen any live action since he entered the league last yr. ONCE AGAIN BAD COMPARISON.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

That's not even a fair comparison Okoye is playing football for the 1st time in his life, there will be growing pains of course for someone that is new to the game, while i am not sure how long Martin has been playing football i am certain since he at least played College ball & at one point he played High School football to get recruited by a Division 1 school like Stanford yeah hes been playing the game for a while deft. Plus last time i checked Martin has been a starter both in college & in the pro's as well. Okeye has barely seen any live action since he entered the league last yr. ONCE AGAIN BAD COMPARISON.

we can now longer have a little fun around here, SAD
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

we can now longer have a little fun around here, SAD
oops, meant to say "no longer'.. buzz english
oops, meant to say "no longer'.. buzz english

No fun for you! No fun for Kaep or another qb that he might get killed. I'm just hoping all the negative talk is because of homophobia. Not that is a good thing, but possible. We all no people put Kaep down for all the wrong reasons.
Share 49ersWebzone