There are 294 users in the forums

NFL considering moving extra point back to 25 yard line

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Phil Dawson ‏@phil_dawson_4

My daughter tonight : "So,,, a 33 yard extra point = 1 point. A 23 yard FG = 3 points,,, right?" Gotta love it
Wait so if a team goes for a 2 point conversion and it gets intercepted and ran back to the 50 yard line do we get the ball there or does it get kicked off?
  • bors
  • Veteran
wish they would leave s**t alone..baa humbug
lol @ the amount of people not liking this move. how many of you actually watch extra points these days? or do you take a bathroom break or go to the fridge for another beer? at least there will be some intrigue now.
I think all extra points should be 2 point pass/play or get rid of them all together
Originally posted by Since07:
Wait so if a team goes for a 2 point conversion and it gets intercepted and ran back to the 50 yard line do we get the ball there or does it get kicked off?

Good question. I believe if the defense gets a turnover on a 2-pt attempt they have to return all the way to the end zone to score it. If they're stopped it's simply a failed 2-pt conversion and that team kicks off.
Well this will boost the need for special teams. To bad we don't have Osgood anymore that guy blocked a few kicks the couple yrs he was here, I bet he would have a hay day with all those long pat attempts. I'd take him over Simpson any day.
This is stupid...even with the rules favoring offense it's still not "easy" to score TDs in the NFL, and I don't want to see games lost when a team is down by 7 late in the game, does the work to score a TD, and then they have to make a friggin 32-yd XP. Yeah I know kicking is better than it's ever been, but I really don't mind the 19-yd 1-pt XP being automatic.
Originally posted by crabman82:
lol @ the amount of people not liking this move. how many of you actually watch extra points these days? or do you take a bathroom break or go to the fridge for another beer? at least there will be some intrigue now.

imo, there's no reason for a stupid XP, like DelCed, you're going to hate it when we lose games because of it. XP is has always been stupid and meaningless, just remove the damn thing, I don't want a kicker deciding every close game.
i'm pretty sure that out of all sports, NFL is the only one where you still have to score, after you just scored. just make a TD 7 points and be done with it.

• Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
i'm pretty sure that out of all sports, NFL is the only one where you still have to score, after you just scored. just make a TD 7 points and be done with it.

I agree with this. I really dont mind automatic XPs but if they dont like it just make TDs 7 and stop f**king with stuff. I dont need anymore excitement out of the kicking gane. FGs are exciting enough for me.

Or..it just occured to me why dont they just make the posts narrower? (My bad if tbis has already been brought up). It would make both XPs and FGs more exciting
Originally posted by Jcool:
Phil Dawson ‏@phil_dawson_4

My daughter tonight : "So,,, a 33 yard extra point = 1 point. A 23 yard FG = 3 points,,, right?" Gotta love it

lol...ya the NFL is starting to get a little ridiculous.

i wonder what their thought process was? "well, we made defense unwatchable now, i know, let's make XP exciting! the fans will love that!"

In both Union and League Rugby, they have a 2-pt conversion kick after a "try" (our TD) has been scored. Kinda cool they have to make the attempt at any point in the field that's a direct line from where the try was scored, e.g. if the try was scored with the ball being grounded in the corner of the goal area, then they'll be attempting the conversion from near the sideline, as near or far away from the goal line as they want...if try scored in the middle of the goal, then coversion attempted from middle of the field, again any distance they choose.
Originally posted by Antix:

I agree with this. I really dont mind automatic XPs but if they dont like it just make TDs 7 and stop f**king with stuff. I dont need anymore excitement out of the kicking gane. FGs are exciting enough for me.

Or..it just occured to me why dont they just make the posts narrower? (My bad if tbis has already been brought up). It would make both XPs and FGs more exciting

I wouldn't be in favor of messing with the posts.
Why does the XP need to be exciting...where was the clamoring from fans that the game just HAS to have more "excitement" with XPs? There wasn't. It's basically been Peter King leading the charge, whining about the 97% or whatever it is success rate of XPs, and the stupid NFL listened to him.

It's an untimed play, who gives a s*** that it's automatic? I want it automatic, I don't need the Niners losing the game over a now-harder XP attempt...or maybe there's holding on the attempt, so now it's a 42-yarder. And what if there's a dead-ball personal foul on the team scoring a TD, instead of assessing on kickoff, will they now tack that on to the XP? Hooray for 47-yd XP attempts.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Why does there need to be "intrigue"? It's an untimed play, it's okay if it's basically automatic. If teams want intrigue and excitement, they've got the option to go for 2.
Share 49ersWebzone