There are 112 users in the forums

NFL considering moving extra point back to 25 yard line

I agree with the extra point being too easy. I think it's a good idea to move it back, but I'm to the 25 might be a little drastic. As already mentioned, for a 43 yard field goal you get 1 point, but you could kick a FG for 30 yards and get 3. I was thinking maybe somewhere between the 10 and 20 yard line could do the trick. It'd still be a 95% chance or so, but that's far and away from the 99.8% we have now.
It. is.....finished.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/0ap3000000493347/article/nfl-moves-pats-to-the-15yard-line-2point-conversions-to-2
The best addition is being able to return a blocked PAT or fumbled/intercepted 2-PT attempt for 2 pts. That 3-4 point swing could be quite interesting.
"NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said teams could change their attempt decision if a penalty occurred. For instance if a team chose to go for 2-points and were called for an offensive penalty they could then decide to kick a 1-point try."

So, let's say that you get a 5/10-yard penalty. I assume your choice is then 2 PT attempt from the 7/12 yard line, or a kick from the 15. But what if it's a 15-yard penalty? Is it a kick from the 15 or the 17? (I'd assume you could still try a 2 PT attempt from the 17, but would only do so if you absolutely needed 2 to tie at the end of the game or something like that).
Dont like
  • thl408
Now extra points are exciting. No way I'm getting up for a bathroom break after this rule change.
I probably would have preferred them to do the 10 yard line for a season and see how that goes.

The ability to score off a fumble/int/blocked FG is a nice addition
Just great now we gotta sit through a new set of commercials right after they score a td and before they kick the extra point.

TD
Commercial
Extra point
Commercial
Kickoff
Commercial
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't like it. Now a team must declare that they are going for a 2 point conversion. I like the opportunity for trickery on a PAT.
Originally posted by susweel:
Just great now we gotta sit through a new set of commercials right after they score a td and before they kick the extra point.

TD
Commercial
Extra point
Commercial
Kickoff
Commercial
Basically what we had last year.

Td
Timeout/commercial
Extra point
Timeout
Kickoff
Penalty
Commercial
Timeout
Commercial
Re kick
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by susweel:

TD
Commercial
Extra point
Commercial
Kickoff
Commercial
Basically what we had last year.

Td
Timeout/commercial
Extra point
Timeout
Kickoff
Penalty
Commercial
Timeout
Commercial
Re kick

yah but now we gottta pay attention to the dadgum kick
Belicheck is already plotting ways to exploit new rule

This rule has dizaster written all over it.

Why not move the extra point kick to the 5 and let all 2 point conversion attempts be worth 3?

Or how about letting the team choose from where they would like to try an extra point from? From the 5 yard line would be three points for a pass/run. From the 10 is 1 point kick and 6 points pass/run. From the 20 is 2 points kick and 9 points pass/run. That would make extra points like a chess match.
[ Edited by theninermaniac on May 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
I don't like it. Now a team must declare that they are going for a 2 point conversion. I like the opportunity for trickery on a PAT.

You can still try it. I imagine the trick PAT was done about the same as the trick FG attempt anyway. Might actually make it easier since the offensive and defensive lines aren't bunched up on the goal line.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Belicheck is already plotting ways to exploit new rule

This rule has dizaster written all over it.

Why not move the extra point kick to the 5 and let all 2 point conversion attempts be worth 3?

Or how about letting the team choose from where they would like to try an extra point from? From the 5 yard line would be three points for a pass/run. From the 10 is 1 point kick and 6 points pass/run. From the 20 is 2 points kick and 9 points pass/run. That would make extra points like a chess match.

And every team would always have a chance to win, no matter what the score.

Niners down 21 to a Seattle? No problem. A touchdown and a 50 yard conversion should do it. Butte in seats until final seconds every game. Do it NFL!!!!!!!
Maybe a 30 yard kick but a 40?? If the wind is rough enough that 40 turns into a 50 yard extra point attempt.
Share 49erswebzone