LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 194 users in the forums

Daniel Kilgore Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Yup...Joe Looney, our future starter at LG, is probably next.

You have to have completed 3 seasons to be eligible to negotiate a contract extension. Looney only has two seasons.
See ya Goodwin
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I don't recall hearing a single decent report on Kilgore since he's been with the team, and it didn't seem like he did that well in the preseason.

Does anyone else have a better idea about the quality of Kilgore?

He played zero snaps at Center during last season so there's no film of him, at least I didn't find any. He did play TE, but that's irrelevant.

Flash back a few years ago when the Niners signed Alex Boone to a conract extensions and he became the starter after cough chilo rachel left. Everyone was screaming this kid has zero game experience. Lets just hope Kilgore can pulle a Boone and never relinquish his starting role.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Flash back a few years ago when the Niners signed Alex Boone to a conract extensions and he became the starter after cough chilo rachel left. Everyone was screaming this kid has zero game experience. Lets just hope Kilgore can pulle a Boone and never relinquish his starting role.

Don't know about you, but 'round these parts we we like to complain about not signing free agents before free agency starts. Thank you very much.
Good decision.
I don't recall hearing a single decent report on Kilgore since he's been with the team, and it didn't seem like he did that well in the preseason.

He played zero snaps at Center during last season so there's no film of him, at least I didn't find any. He did play TE, but that's irrelevant.

Alex Boone was a relatively unique case. First round talent that went undrafted due to alcoholism.

Either way, here are the scouting reports of Kilgore for anyone whose interested:

CBSSports.com
Strengths: Extremely competitive, does whatever it takes to get the job done. Blocks through the whistle, and sometimes afterwards. Good enough footwork to get correct run blocking angle on defender. Plays with good leverage, staying low and extending arms to effectively anchor. Resets hands and keeps feet moving after initial contact to sustain. Does not get beat off the edge very often from two-point stance, adept at taking quicker linemen around the pocket.

Weaknesses: Short arms and average lateral mobility make it difficult for him to stay at tackle at the next level. Limited athlete who relies on grabbing and attitude to open up running holes. Fails to adjust to inside target, misses cut blocks at the second level due to a lack of flexibility. Does not explode from his stance in pass protection. Adequate strength to anchor, but must prove he can move or turn pro defensive tackles.

NFL.com
Kilgore is a developmental guard prospect who still needs a lot of work with his technique but has upside. Possesses the fierce mentality that coaches covet and flashes some impressive hand and lower-body power. However, has a tendency to play too high, leans and lunges, and stops moving feet after contact. Also lacks the athleticism to stick with polished interior pass rushers who bring some speed, power and counter moves to the table. Recognition skills and overall awareness need to be coached up. Kilgore's flaws appear to be correctable, and he could hear his named called on Day 3.
[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
See ya Goodwin
i do wonder if the team will draft a rookie in the 5th round or sign a cheap cheap free agent to back up kilgore? i am very pleased with this move. we took a chance with the longer snapper kid last year whose name i still do not know and it worked fine. god knows he will get lots and lots of practice at center before the bullets start to fly for real
Originally posted by cciowa:
See ya Goodwin
i do wonder if the team will draft a rookie in the 5th round or sign a cheap cheap free agent to back up kilgore? i am very pleased with this move. we took a chance with the longer snapper kid last year whose name i still do not know and it worked fine. god knows he will get lots and lots of practice at center before the bullets start to fly for real

I think it would be a good idea to find a veteran center who can also play guard. Assuming Goodwin is gone. It seems as if that is the case.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
See ya Goodwin

I think it would be a good idea to find a veteran center who can also play guard. Assuming Goodwin is gone. It seems as if that is the case.
i agree and it would make no sense to sign goodwin for a back up when you can get a cheap respectable vet who can multi task. i am very happy we got goodwin but his play went south last year, lots of times he just missed people
No terms yet. But I can say it's an easy signing on the cap,probably got like a $1M signing bonus, which prorates at $250K a year for 4 years. So I doubt this deal take away a lot of cap space.

My thoughts a few months ago is that if we would extend Kilgore before we seen him play in 2014 it's because we want to get him cheaper. Let's say Kilgore is our starting center and we had not re-signed him and he did well all of a sudden we are looking at 2-3 times the amount we would have had to pay now. So this is a leap of faith and at the very worst he would be backup center and guard if need be. However, I'm sure they are confident in him to be the starting center of the future. I'm guessing the deal is 3 years 6-8 million which would be cheap for a starting center but if he ends up being a backup C/G then it would be too much. As for the draft I wouldn't rule out a OL in round 3, possibly late 2nd though. We could use a guy who can play C/G or G/T or all spots. I don't see us getting rid of Snyder but it's possible if we get a versatile OL early in the draft. A lot depends on if they think Looney is the guard of the future and if they think Marquardt or Bykowski is the 3rd tackle of the future.

Also, I have been saying for awhile now Miller should be one of our first to get extended because he is one of the most important players on our team and it's easier to get a deal done for him than Kap, Aldon or Crabtree. We should extend him for 3-4 years at a 1.5-2 per.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

The coaching staff has been watching him develop for three years.

They must like what they have seen--and they do seem to do a pretty good job with offensive linemen.

I am not worried.

Alex Boone was a relatively unique case. First round talent that went undrafted due to alcoholism.

Either way, here are the scouting reports of Kilgore for anyone whose interested:

CBSSports.com
Strengths: Extremely competitive, does whatever it takes to get the job done. Blocks through the whistle, and sometimes afterwards. Good enough footwork to get correct run blocking angle on defender. Plays with good leverage, staying low and extending arms to effectively anchor. Resets hands and keeps feet moving after initial contact to sustain. Does not get beat off the edge very often from two-point stance, adept at taking quicker linemen around the pocket.

Weaknesses: Short arms and average lateral mobility make it difficult for him to stay at tackle at the next level. Limited athlete who relies on grabbing and attitude to open up running holes. Fails to adjust to inside target, misses cut blocks at the second level due to a lack of flexibility. Does not explode from his stance in pass protection. Adequate strength to anchor, but must prove he can move or turn pro defensive tackles.

NFL.com
Kilgore is a developmental guard prospect who still needs a lot of work with his technique but has upside. Possesses the fierce mentality that coaches covet and flashes some impressive hand and lower-body power. However, has a tendency to play too high, leans and lunges, and stops moving feet after contact. Also lacks the athleticism to stick with polished interior pass rushers who bring some speed, power and counter moves to the table. Recognition skills and overall awareness need to be coached up. Kilgore's flaws appear to be correctable, and he could hear his named called on Day 3.

Sounds outdated. He had seasoning since. He played with good leverage and quickness in close area. He needed to bulk up and he did. He's ready to go and I think the coaches think so too.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Yup...Joe Looney, our future starter at LG, is probably next.

Yikes. Big dropoff from Iupati to Joe Looney.....
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
See ya Goodwin
McDermott. Coaches will make sure Kilgore's ready to take over for Goodwin....
Share 49ersWebzone