There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Arizona may lose the Super Bowl?

Deadspin ‏@Deadspin 4h

Anti-gay bill could cost Arizona the Super Bowl: http://deadsp.in/kjkmIjy

"Our policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other improper standard. We are following the issue in Arizona and will continue to do so should the bill be signed into law, but will decline further comment at this time."

I did like this comment from that page:

TomSpanks12Barry Petchesky
54 Likes

Nothing is going to happen. Brewer is going to veto the bill and that will be all. The most powerful political figures in each party here locally in Arizona have come out against it and even virtually every single one of those who sponsored it are now asking for it to be vetoed. After living here for awhile, I'm convinced that we have the dumbest politicians of any state, Republican and Democrat alike seem to have their brains bleached over by the sun.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nothing is going to happen. Brewer is going to veto the bill and that will be all. The most powerful political figures in each party here locally in Arizona have come out against it and even virtually every single one of those who sponsored it are now asking for it to be vetoed. After living here for awhile, I'm convinced that we have the dumbest politicians of any state, Republican and Democrat alike seem to have their brains bleached over by the sun.

Where did the Bill come from?
Maybe the should give Arizona to Mexico?
Vetoed.
wouldn't it be funny if Michael Sam was drafted by AZ?

Lol he would have to leave the state to get some food. lol
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

People need to stop saying stupid stuff like this. No picking on you but it gets really old. We have a small base of vocal extremists that have been entrenched in power for quite some time, not really any different than the Democrat machine in Chicago. These people don't represent the vast majority of the population or anything close to it and they are basically dying off or getting voted out.

The reason why the vocal minority gets to come up with stuff like this is because the population here is largely transient, the old joke is that when you meet someone who is actually an Arizona native, you act with surprise and say "wow, they still make you here?" Polling from across the state showed very little actual support for this bill from people and it wasn't surprising to anyone to see that it was vetoed.
as i understand the now vetoed law, wasnt it saying a business can decide who it serves and who it doesnt and what not? if thats the case how did it become all about gay people? seems like there would be a case for dozens of different types of discrimination.
Originally posted by crabman82:
as i understand the now vetoed law, wasnt it saying a business can decide who it serves and who it doesnt and what not? if thats the case how did it become all about gay people? seems like there would be a case for dozens of different types of discrimination.

The law was stupid, it wasn't nearly as bad as someone stated and there was a lot of disinformation being put out there but it was more of an answer in search of a problem. Business owners from all around the state basically said that the law wasn't needed at all. It was one of those things were a nutty legislator was sitting around with nothing to do better with his time than to come up with something that nobody asked for. It was pushed on the basis of religious freedom, chiefly from the state government.....ie........a Muslim or Jew being made to serve pork.....but it opened up so many cans of worms due to it being so broad that there is no way that Brewer would ever have supported it.

Kind of a big government doctrine from supposed small government legislators. There's scenario's brought up in this bill that the people who came up with it never considered. On talk radio they brought up the possibility that a devout Muslim, and there are many Muslim owned businesses out here, could refuse entry to a single woman that was not accompanied by a male member of her family and all sorts of shenanigans that possibly could have occurred as a result.

That said, the gay issue was way overblown. In Arizona there is no statute for the protection of discrimination based on sexuality. If an Arizona business owner currently wants to deny service based on someone's sexuality, they can do so legally although without being protected from being recognized as an a*****e and having their business boycotted.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Arizona passes law banning gay couples from receiving service, NFL says that's a "no-no", threatens to pull Super Bowl.

Florida passes law allowing civilians to gun down innocent Black boys, NFL moves Super Bowl to Miami.

Oh okay.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Arizona passes law banning gay couples from receiving service, NFL says that's a "no-no", threatens to pull Super Bowl.

Florida passes law allowing civilians to gun down innocent Black boys, NFL moves Super Bowl to Miami.

Oh okay.

+1
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

People need to stop saying stupid stuff like this. No picking on you but it gets really old. We have a small base of vocal extremists that have been entrenched in power for quite some time, not really any different than the Democrat machine in Chicago. These people don't represent the vast majority of the population or anything close to it and they are basically dying off or getting voted out.

The reason why the vocal minority gets to come up with stuff like this is because the population here is largely transient, the old joke is that when you meet someone who is actually an Arizona native, you act with surprise and say "wow, they still make you here?" Polling from across the state showed very little actual support for this bill from people and it wasn't surprising to anyone to see that it was vetoed.

I was just joking around. And I was actually born in Phoenix. Only lived there for two months as an infant though so i'm not a Arizonian.

I didn't mean to insult the people of AZ, just the politicians. And its not just Illinois and AZ with that problem you mention. All states have this problem. Politicians don't represent the the population. They represent their cronies and people who gave them funding.
I was just joking around. And I was actually born in Phoenix. Only lived there for two months as an infant though so i'm not a Arizonian.

I didn't mean to insult the people of AZ, just the politicians. And its not just Illinois and AZ with that problem you mention. All states have this problem. Politicians don't represent the the population. They represent their cronies and people who gave them funding.

I agree but some places really do have it worse in terms of a strong culture of cronyism. Arizona is pretty bad in that regard, a major dominant insider culture plus a great deal of nepotism, that and we get a ton of retirees, some of whom decide that now is the ideal time to get involved in politics and often bring a lot of antiquated idea's to the table, or who simply lack the perspective of the average working class individual since they are already retired and pretty well off financially speaking.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
TomSpanks12Barry Petchesky
54 Likes

lol. That's pretty good.
A lot of what phoenix said. Thumbs up.

But a law similar to it needs to be passed nationwide. Some of what is going on is a joke. It is similar to the lawyers suing individual businesses for ADA violations.