There are 185 users in the forums

Trade a 3rd round pick for Kirk Cousins?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The Redskins want a second rounder for Kirk Cousins. I personally think Kirk is a good qb, and a very capable back up who could be a starter. Offer them a third round pick. This will give the niners a qb to compete with CK7, and will give you a back up for a minimal 800K a year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326630/article/report-redskins-want-secondround-pick-for-cousins

I think this would be a wise move. Your thoughts.

***edited misleading title and moved to proper forum***
[ Edited by boast on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM ]
misleading title
  • Disp
  • Veteran
A 3'rd rounder for a backup quarterback is way too much, and no way are we going to bid higher for one than a team that needs a starting QB will.
Originally posted by Disp:
A 3'rd rounder for a backup quarterback is way too much, and no way are we going to bid higher for one than a team that needs a starting QB will.

The skins want a 2nd, if the niners can get him for their third, assuming the Niners keep the other 3rd rounder and get a third round compensatory for Goldson (which you cannot trade) the Niners would still have 5 picks in the top 100 and a back up qb for two years. I understand your point that it is too much for a back up qb, but a back up qb is pretty important if your starter is hurt.
I thought he played pretty poorly last year and seemed to get worse game after game. Not sure where the Redskins are getting this idea that they can actually get a 2nd round pick for him.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
misleading title

this
Originally posted by 9erred:
The skins want a 2nd, if the niners can get him for their third, assuming the Niners keep the other 3rd rounder and get a third round compensatory for Goldson (which you cannot trade) the Niners would still have 5 picks in the top 100 and a back up qb for two years. I understand your point that it is too much for a back up qb, but a back up qb is pretty important if your starter is hurt.

True. But I don't see us winning a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins and especially if we have to go through a defense like SEA. I don't want to invest that much in Kap's backup QB. My sentiment is that if Kap goes down and can't be available for a playoff run, we aren't winning the Super Bowl and that is what it has come to now, winning Super Bowls!! I would rather wait until late in the draft and grab another prospect that can bring some athletic attributes to the position capable of holding down a few games until Kap gets back out there. We need athletic instincts over here! I say why are the Skins getting rid of him when they start RG3 and he is currently hobbled and injury prone? Seems like they need Cousins much more than we ever would. I will pass!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM ]
No. Too much for too little. Cousins could go somewhere and start for a handful of team. I'd start him over Bradford in St Lou. I think he could go to Tampa, Buffalo, Tennessee, New York (Jets), Houston, etc and outplay what they have.
Absolutely...NOT!

3rd rounders start in the NFL with regularity. That's where you draft LB's (Navarro), DB's (Cully), DL (Ray Mac), WR's (T.Y. Hilton), RB's (Gore).

Giving up a 3rd for a player who is destined to be a backup with no chance to start is ludicrous.

The 'Skins can continue to "want"...any team that gives up a 2nd or even 3rd rounder for Cousins must not have very much faith in their starter. There are teams like that out there...Vikes, Raiders, Jags, to name a few. As for the Niners, we can arguably sign Josh McCown or Kellen Clemens for a reasonable salary w/o giving up any picks.
Originally posted by highwayone:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
misleading title

this

How is it misleading, it states Trade a 3rd round pick for kirk cousins?? It has a question mark at the end, and a sourced article.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
No, I don't want to trade a 3rd round pick for a player that will leave in 2 years. Better to spend a third round pick on a QB in the draft.
no thanks
Share 49ersWebzone