LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 405 users in the forums

Acquire Jonathan Martin to play guard, then trade Iupati for picks in 2015?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Nope. He's softer than cotton candy, we're assassins.
Looney at guard is a better choice!
No, we have enough o-line problems. The object is to get better not worse...
Didn't Martin get yanked out of the lineup of a very mediocre o-line in Miami? What happened there with the bullying is what it is but the guy seems a little mentally weak. A few years back we had another OT from Stanford who couldn't block a Pop warner player. I get the same vibe from this dude.
hear name on sportscenter.... ignore context...... "hey let's trade for him"

WZ.... ftw.
Nope. Not when we have Joe Looney to take over for Iupati or even Goodwin and backfill LG with Seymour or someone Baalke drafts.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

WZ.... ftw.

Yep, seems like any time someone is in the news with negative baggage surrounding them and they aren't that good of a player our fans want them. I'm surprised there hasn't been a trade for Ray Rice thread yet. Pretty sure we had a sign Hernandez thread? This way we have first dibbs when he gets out of prison or if he isn't convicted.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

WZ.... ftw.

Yep, seems like any time someone is in the news with negative baggage surrounding them and they aren't that good of a player our fans want them. I'm surprised there hasn't been a trade for Ray Rice thread yet. Pretty sure we had a sign Hernandez thread? This way we have first dibbs when he gets out of prison or if he isn't convicted.

Ray Rice had the worse season of his career and we have absolutely no running back need I admit I wanted Martin for a 7th (back in October when the story first broke), and he would only have been here to backup Davis and Staley, not start. It's pretty good value for a 7th and about all you could get for Martin then and especially now. I still stand behind making that trade. We wouldn't have to totally reshuffle our line anytime one of our starting tackles go down.
Kwame 2.0
Only if that pick is a first rounder this year. At this point Martin is a project and has no actual value.

If I could coin the term "franchise linemen" Iupati would be my first pick.
Why would we get rid of him? In my opinion he is one of the best G in the NFL. Plus he is amazing in a power run scheme.
Martin is more of a zone blocker, Iupati needs to stay.
Why do people want to move Martin to guard?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Why do people want to move Martin to guard?

Right!lol cuz he is the suxors at LT.

Typical WZ rationale,"hey,player x is meh at position y,lets change him to position z after we steal em from his current team for a 7th rounder"
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Feb 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM ]
I'd trade Snyder for him lol. Both suck but at least Martin is young and could turn it around.
[ Edited by AUniner on Feb 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM ]
Andrew Luck wants Jonathan Martin in Indy.
Share 49ersWebzone