There are 155 users in the forums

Acquire Jonathan Martin to play guard, then trade Iupati for picks in 2015?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Iupati
For
Dolphins 1st & 3rd and Martin, then I'll think about it

Or maybe take out Martin and add a 2015 3rd round
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM ]
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by teylo31:
I dont want that guy anywhere near this team

Some of you guys are just too much. You do know that the Dolphins have fired the offensive line coach and the trainer involved in his mess. That should tell you something. In the right environment at Stanford, this player was one of the best in the nation at his position. In a toxic environment, he didn't do well. Do you think the Niners locker room is a Stanford-type environment or a toxic Dolphins-like enviornment? He's a very intelligent person. His parents are both constitutional law professors. He's not a thug. I wouldn't be so quick to assume he's just a flat-out bust.

Of course they fired them. That really is besides the point. They had to fire them regardless of the outcome. I didnt say he was a bust and what his parents do for a living has nothing to do with his personality. The guy is just weak
Originally posted by teylo31:
Of course they fired them. That really is besides the point. They had to fire them regardless of the outcome. I didnt say he was a bust and what his parents do for a living has nothing to do with his personality. The guy is just weak

Actually, some people think a person's parents have a great deal to do with their personality, but I agree that it's a bit besides the point. The entire discussion is probably a moot point because he's probably not going to be coming to the Niners. But on the outside possibility that he does, I'd reserve judgement and see how he performs in a better environment. From what I read of what went on down there on the Dolphins, that just sounded horrible - nothing like the way it seems to be on the Niners.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Martin is not strong enough to play guard.
[ Edited by Hopper on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:08 AM ]
No. Iupati has only a year left to play iirc so I don't suppose we will get offered a great deal. And Martin looks like a huge gamble. Does he even want to play football now?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that dude is a p***y. do not want. he'd just cause problems in the locker room
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM ]
Martin would be here mainly for depth , cant see him beating out Staley or Davis for a job .....if he came here on the cheap as a reserve I would be in favor of it
i would take martin, but i would not trade iupati, just use him for another year before he cashes in. i'd bring in martin as a backup for a season and hope he develops, not unlike what we did with boone.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I'm not against it. Depends on the kind of deal.

But keep in mind, a 49er team with Iupati is better than without him.

Sigh,another of these "Madden 25" trade scenerios that are completly devoid of context,reason,sound judgement and REALITY.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
that dude is softer than baby s**t.
I'd rather keep Eu Eu Eu potty
Not all tackles can just be moved to guard. And trading Iupati for him is a horrible idea.
If he is willing to take minimum wage, sure... why not?

Other than that... no freaking way. I mean, it isn't my money but I feel like you'd be throwing it away with Martin and his current state of mind. Suicidal thoughts... throws in the towel and quits instead of confronting his so-called tormentors. The 49ers don't seem to have anyone like Incognito... I mean the voice of the offensive line seems to be that goofball Staley.

Honestly, I don't care about the circumstances but he needs to show he won't just quit and run away the next time the path gets difficult. The dude has the mentality of a child.. I still can't believe he didn't bring his complaint up the chain of command. Where is his state of mind if he actually thinks he can't talk to his coaches or GM about this sort of thing?
Share 49ersWebzone