LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Acquire Jonathan Martin to play guard, then trade Iupati for picks in 2015?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Would Martin be quick enough to take over Iupati at guard? Its more than evident we wont be able to resign Iupati so should we trade him for picks now? Martin would be cap friendly for years and we could lock him up for cheap like we did with Boone
i'd take martin here with our locker room, either make him a guard or davis a guard
  • pfizz
Replace one of the best guards in the league with one of the worst. Makes sense. Mental issues aside the guy isn't a good player.
[ Edited by pfizz on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM ]
I dont want that guy anywhere near this team
Dolphins fan here - you want nothing to do with Jonathan Martin.
Martin is not an upgrade over Iupati. We will get compensatory picks if Iupati leaves next year via free agency. We have a better chance to win the Super Bowl next season with Iupati on our roster.
Originally posted by pfizz:
Replace one of the best guards in the league with one of the worst. Makes sense. Mental issues aside the guy isn't a good player.

He's not a guard. So they would be replacing a great guard with a mediocre left tackle. And, I wouldn't be so sure he isn't a good player. He actually has faster feet than your average guard because he plays on the outside and he has good size, so the idea isn't as strange as it sounds. He's 6-5, 315, so he's got good size.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Good joke.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Martin is not an upgrade over Iupati. We will get compensatory picks if Iupati leaves next year via free agency. We have a better chance to win the Super Bowl next season with Iupati on our roster.

Iupati is one my favorite Niners, but I just think a couple of teams have completely screwed up the market for guards. They could possibly have to go up to $8 mil a year to keep him and I don't think they can do that.
Originally posted by teylo31:
I dont want that guy anywhere near this team

Some of you guys are just too much. You do know that the Dolphins have fired the offensive line coach and the trainer involved in his mess. That should tell you something. In the right environment at Stanford, this player was one of the best in the nation at his position. In a toxic environment, he didn't do well. Do you think the Niners locker room is a Stanford-type environment or a toxic Dolphins-like enviornment? He's a very intelligent person. His parents are both constitutional law professors. He's not a thug. I wouldn't be so quick to assume he's just a flat-out bust.

Originally posted by crake49:
Some of you guys are just too much. You do know that the Dolphins have fired the offensive line coach and the trainer involved in his mess. That should tell you something. In the right environment at Stanford, this player was one of the best in the nation at his position. In a toxic environment, he didn't do well. Do you think the Niners locker room is a Stanford-type environment or a toxic Dolphins-like enviornment? He's a very intelligent person. His parents are both constitutional law professors. He's not a thug. I wouldn't be so quick to assume he's just a flat-out bust.

I don't think its fair to judge Martin based on his experience with the Dolphins, that OL was largely terrible and had a hard time working together. That whole unit and team to a larger extent was a mess. I think with the sort of performances that Martin had at Stanford, at worst he'd be a solid backup, a high quality run-blocking tackle.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
No thanks.
Originally posted by crake49:
Iupati is one my favorite Niners, but I just think a couple of teams have completely screwed up the market for guards. They could possibly have to go up to $8 mil a year to keep him and I don't think they can do that.

He isnt a free agent until after next season so we have him for one more year under his current deal. The more he gets paid, the higher compensatory pick we get so let other teams pay him an outrageous salary. Every few years we are going to have to let a good player go and it appears as though Iupati is going to be that guy next season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think its fair to judge Martin based on his experience with the Dolphins, that OL was largely terrible and had a hard time working together. That whole unit and team to a larger extent was a mess. I think with the sort of performances that Martin had at Stanford, at worst he'd be a solid backup, a high quality run-blocking tackle.

It's not worth the risk. If Martin gets cut and comes here that's one thing, but to trade Iupati for him is rediculous. Only happens on Madden.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah and kwame Harris was a great college tackle too.
The guy was ranked last (or very close to it) as a starting tackle.
If he was middle of the pack, sure give him a shot. But bottom feeder, hell no
Share 49ersWebzone