LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 302 users in the forums

Football to return to Olympics in 2024?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Seven-on-seven is the most likely style of play.

American football could be the newest sport added to the Olympics, giving the United States a potentially easy path to a gold medal every four years. The International Olympic Committee gave provisional recognition to The International Federation of American Football on Tuesday, setting up a vote on whether the sport should be added to the events list, via FoxSports.

The vote could take place as early as 2017, and the sport would potentially be added to the Olympic lineup in 2024. American football has not been at the Olympics since the 1932 Los Angeles Olympiad, when all-stars from Cal, Stanford and USC played against all-stars from Harvard, Yale and Princeton in an exhibition.

It's likely that it won't be NFL or even college-style football at the Olympic games. Due to roster restrictions, seven-on-seven is the most likely style of play to make it as a medal event (following the suit of rugby, which was recently approved for sevens play in the 2016 Olympics), and there very well could be both men's and women's events for the sport.

The NFL has tried to expand their global reach in recent years, most notably by playing regular-season games in London.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/16/5416416/american-football-olympics-2024

7 on 7 football?

We're gonna send Kap
I dont want any 49ers playing in that, maybe our bench guys but none of our starters. f**k gold medals we trying to get Lombardis
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Seven-on-seven is the most likely style of play.

American football could be the newest sport added to the Olympics, giving the United States a potentially easy path to a gold medal every four years. The International Olympic Committee gave provisional recognition to The International Federation of American Football on Tuesday, setting up a vote on whether the sport should be added to the events list, via FoxSports.

The vote could take place as early as 2017, and the sport would potentially be added to the Olympic lineup in 2024. American football has not been at the Olympics since the 1932 Los Angeles Olympiad, when all-stars from Cal, Stanford and USC played against all-stars from Harvard, Yale and Princeton in an exhibition.

It's likely that it won't be NFL or even college-style football at the Olympic games. Due to roster restrictions, seven-on-seven is the most likely style of play to make it as a medal event (following the suit of rugby, which was recently approved for sevens play in the 2016 Olympics), and there very well could be both men's and women's events for the sport.

The NFL has tried to expand their global reach in recent years, most notably by playing regular-season games in London.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/16/5416416/american-football-olympics-2024

7 on 7 football?

We're gonna send Kap

lol. kap will be ded by then
  • sfout
  • Veteran
NFL teams will predictably respond with contracts that void salary for the duration of the rehab suffered during the olympics and adds equal time to the back end of the deal.

I'd expect to to be formatted in a similar fashion to Olympic soccer.

Essentially an all under 23 side with 3 to 6 players allowed above the age limit.

Olympic soccer allows for 3 players over 23 I believe.

This way it will be mostly college kids that want to play for their country but may not be necessarily thinking NFL or even CFL level ball with a few first or 2nd year NFLers and possible some big name players thrown in as well.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM ]
We would hurt other countries player's if they brought it back.
Football (not the European kind) is almost exclusively in the US.
Allowing football to come back is just giving America another gold.
R.I.P. Guam football team.
I doubt any NFL players would play in it. It'll probably just be a bunch of semi pro guys and ex college players who couldn't cut it in the NFL. We will still destroy the rest of the world with those guys.
kap is gonna be like what, 36 years old
The only way I see us sending our best players is if we experience some kind of upset (e.g., Olympic basketball not medaling in 2002; insert Redeem Team) and National pride is on the line.

Otherwise, I assume that we'd send our amateur athletes (e.g., semi-pro, arena league, CFL personnel).
Our head coach will be Jimmy Raye Jr. in 2024

just send an SEC team
we're gonna send a CFL team.

they're all American anyways.
China is already getting ready to stack up on their medals.

they have Ricky Williams toughing up those kids down there... he said some funny stuff a week back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/12/ricky-williams-china/5438173/

The Federation of University Sport in China enlisted Wang's group to field a team at the first World University Championship in American Football, which begins May 1 in Uppsala, Sweden. The USA, Mexico, Finland, Sweden and Finland also are slated to compete.

"A lot of these kids grew up really being coddled and taken care of," said Williams, 36, who will serve as defensive coordinator while Chamberlain handles the offense.

"When they get little nicks, they think that the world's over. It was fun watching them over the week I was there (in December) kind of realize that it's not that bad and they can get back out there."
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
China is already getting ready to stack up on their medals.

they have Ricky Williams toughing up those kids down there... he said some funny stuff a week back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/12/ricky-williams-china/5438173/

The Federation of University Sport in China enlisted Wang's group to field a team at the first World University Championship in American Football, which begins May 1 in Uppsala, Sweden. The USA, Mexico, Finland, Sweden and Finland also are slated to compete.

"A lot of these kids grew up really being coddled and taken care of," said Williams, 36, who will serve as defensive coordinator while Chamberlain handles the offense.

"When they get little nicks, they think that the world's over. It was fun watching them over the week I was there (in December) kind of realize that it's not that bad and they can get back out there."

Just have to throw it in there: that's my city that will host the WUC,

OnT: The last few Team Americas have been college kids with the most profilic players being from programs like Purdue and Wake Forest. I really don't see any Pro players suting up for this one.
We Olympics now?
Share 49ersWebzone