LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 143 users in the forums

Ray Rice arrested

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by socal9er42:
What punishment has been given to Rice by the Ravens?

Was discussed on radio, do like herm Edwards did,

Let the player practice all week and make them inactive for the game
Screw Goodell. He already f'ed up. The Ravens need to grow some balls and release him.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Double jeopardy means that you cannot be tried twice for the same crime by the same jurisdiction. In the case of Ray Rice, it means that the Ravens running back cannot be put in jeopardy, a criminal prosecution, for punching his then fiancée.

Even if the prosecutor tried to use different charges it would not be allowed if the underlying facts are the same. So, double jeopardy does apply and Rice cannot be charged again in the case.

The NFL cannot increase Rice's punishment by claiming the league did not know the seriousness of what Rice did. First, who didn't know that Rice punched Palmer while in the elevator? Did anyone really think she fainted?

Second, the punishment has already been decided both in court and by the NFL and partially served by Rice.

If the NFL or the Ravens tried to increase the punishment by claiming they didn't know how what he did, they would lose in court.

-- Roger Cossack, ESPN legal analyst

None. The point was that they cant give out additional punishment now.
Double jeopardy means that you cannot be tried twice for the same crime by the same jurisdiction. In the case of Ray Rice, it means that the Ravens running back cannot be put in jeopardy, a criminal prosecution, for punching his then fiancée.

Even if the prosecutor tried to use different charges it would not be allowed if the underlying facts are the same. So, double jeopardy does apply and Rice cannot be charged again in the case.

The NFL cannot increase Rice's punishment by claiming the league did not know the seriousness of what Rice did. First, who didn't know that Rice punched Palmer while in the elevator? Did anyone really think she fainted?

Second, the punishment has already been decided both in court and by the NFL and partially served by Rice.

If the NFL or the Ravens tried to increase the punishment by claiming they didn't know how what he did, they would lose in court.

If the Ravens have given out "None", how would anything be "Additional" and a violation of "double jeopardy"?

My point is that I think the Ravens would be pretty safe in handing down their own punishment.
Originally posted by sking20854:
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Although I'm not a fan of hitting women by any means. I feel like in this world that is pushing for sexual equality. If a woman hits you (or attempts to) and you retaliate as a man, then there should be no case. You can't fight for sexual equality yet at the same time throw out a double standard. Just doesn't work that way. Kind of this weird world where if women knew a man had the right to hit you back and would be treated by the courts like he hit another man in self-defense. Perhaps that woman would not be all up in his face throwing slaps/punches. It's a touchy subject.

Did you actually watch the video?

She walks by him and he steps to her and she puts her hand up and swipes at him and then walks into the elevator. At which point he follows her into the elevator then crowds her and spits on her and hits her, she retaliates and pushes him back he steps back she comes towards him and then he drops her with a punch. Please do not characterize this as a situation where she was beating on him and throwing punches at him unprovoked. From what it looked like in that video he was the aggressor throughout.

There is a double standard - but THIS doesn't seem to be the case of such. How can you tell he spits on her? I can't see that or was that reported? If so, yeah, he provoked the hell out of her. It also looks like the hit put 50% of the knock-out on her, and the railing another 50%. That is not an excuse - just saying hitting a railing like that going down would definitely knock you out cold.

But society wise, FIRST we seem to allow people to be totally uncivilized with no ramifications. People act aggressive and the fool just short of getting hit back and they expect nobody to punch them - men and women.

SECOND - Some of the crazy women out there seem to think they can act out with immunity - or even worse, they can get their way by acting like aggressive idiots. I have seen women go off crazy on people and get hyper aggressive because they know there is no ramification for them other than they look like a fool. They have no fear, if a man even goes in full-self defense restaining the mad woman and causes bruises, man goes to jail. I have seen it happen - it was ridiculous. Even her children testified for the father and HE was sentenced to counseling, she got off scott-free and an increase in alimony!!!!

Again though - RAY RICE case doesn't appear to be that case. Should have just walked away and let it cool down - but pride, ego, and righteousness get both sides wound up and unwilling to walk away. Foolish.
Goddell will tack on a extra 2 games to Aldon Smith's punishment over this even though Aldon had nothing to do with it just cause Goddell is a dick and unfair like that.

The nfl can do anything they want. Double jeopardy don't apply. if the NFLPA wants to fight it, they can
Originally posted by Raul98:
Goddell will tack on a extra 2 games to Aldon Smith's punishment over this even though Aldon had nothing to do with it just cause Goddell is a dick and unfair like that.

Gonna suspend Ray Mcdonald for a whole year to make up for the Ray Rice thing
If Raymac gets suspended for a considerable amount of time without empirical evidence while Rice gets away scott free then he should get impeached as commissioner.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Goodell seize the video as an opportunity to retroactively save face. But that's all political theater. Even if he hadn't seen the tape before today, everyone knew what was on it. I understand having a visceral reaction to it, but what exactly did you think happened before the video was released? Ray admitted he hit her and the earlier video shows him carrying her unconscious body out of the elevator.

I apologize to everyone for the excuses I made for Ray, I only seen the other vids never this one, so I always felt until now that we do not know if Rice ever hit her for sure because there was no physical or visual evidence. I feel dumb, however just for the record.......Ray your a f*ckin DB!

If the Ravens have given out "None", how would anything be "Additional" and a violation of "double jeopardy"?

My point is that I think the Ravens would be pretty safe in handing down their own punishment.
Isnt there a new that the team and the NFL cant both give punishment for the same thing?
Originally posted by Overkill:
It wouldn't surprise me to see Goodell seize the video as an opportunity to retroactively save face. But that's all political theater. Even if he hadn't seen the tape before today, everyone knew what was on it. I understand having a visceral reaction to it, but what exactly did you think happened before the video was released? Ray admitted he hit her and the earlier video shows him carrying her unconscious body out of the elevator.
I must have missed that part too I didnt ever hear him say he hit her.

Isnt there a new that the team and the NFL cant both give punishment for the same thing?

Don't know. Wouldn't surprise me.

This situation sucks hind tit.
Originally posted by Overkill:

huh?

The initial story was it was mutual combat

edit: The police said Ray's fiancee struck him (don't see that in the video) and Ray Rice hit her back in self-defense (didn't look to me like that in the video) and that Ray Rice knocked her out with an open hand (looked like a fist/haymaker to me).
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone