There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tarell Brown, please re-sign with the 49ers.

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm sure T-Brown would love to come back , but he will have to take a hard look at his future if he's offered a big sack of cash from a CB hungry team ..... I have a hunch the Vikings will be in the running for his services, they are looking for a veteran CB to anchor their secondary , and might come calling for him , being they face Rogers, Stafford and Cutler twice a year, Brown could be the CB they covet the most, but I'm hoping our front office can spin some magic and get him back into a 49ers uniform

Raiders are a possibility as well. They need DBs badly. Very weak secondary and outmatched miserably going up against Peyton, Rivers, and Alex twice a year. Raiders also have A LOT of cap space so they'll expect them to beef up their secondary in free agency. Brown would be a very good pick up for them. Still in his prime and brings veteran leadership to a pretty young group.
they have shawntae spencer
  • DeUh
Originally posted by crabman82:
he gone, t brock took his money

This.
They wont pay him the same with Cullivers contract coming up next season. And i dont think he comes back for less.
DeAngelo Hall just signed a 4-year extension, $5 million per. T-Brown will want more since he's as good or better (not to mention younger), don'tcha think?
Originally posted by ninerjok:
DeAngelo Hall just signed a 4-year extension, $5 million per. T-Brown will want more since he's as good or better (not to mention younger), don'tcha think?

Correction, it's almost $5,000,000 per so Brown will probably want at least 5.
I like all our corners and I'd like to have them all back, though I don't think it's realistic.

Culliver, Brown, Rogers, Whitner...someone is definitely leaving
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Am I the only one here that thinks the 49ers better keep Tarell Brown? This guy has developed NICELY over the years and its about time the 49ers KEEP our OWN talent at the Peak of his career, just turned 29 years old so He has 3 sweet years left. He's our BEST cover Corner, he's a good tackler. Why aren't the 49ers thinking about re-signing this GUY?????? C'mon now.

No, I'm sure lots of fans agree with you. I totally want them to resign him because I think a Brown, Culliver, Brock corner threesome would be very, very strong. I'm just worried that he'll command too much on the open market. I hope not and I hope he's willing to take a little less than market value to stay with this team. My ideal scenario would be that they work out a deal with him before the draft so they can use one of their first three picks on a safety and the other two on receivers. Then they'd have three solid corners, a solid free safety and hopefully a stud strong safety rookie who is more of a cover guy and less of an "enforcer." Tight coverage secondaries is where the league wants teams to go - why not go there right now?
I like Brown. He is a solid CB and has really developed nicely. I think the Niners should try to bring him back if the price is right. We are probably losing Carlos Rogers and Donte Whitner so I dont like the idea of losing 3 of 4 starters in the secondary in 1 year.
We ain't gonna be able to keep everybody. Personally I'd rather replace Whitner than Brown, but we might have to replace both.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
We ain't gonna be able to keep everybody. Personally I'd rather replace Whitner than Brown, but we might have to replace both.

I think it will be Brown that stays ....I love our guy Whitner, but our front office will probably draft a safety with one of our first four picks, we cant pay both of them top money when we have other needs to address , even though I'd love to have both of them back

I think it will be Brown that stays ....I love our guy Whitner, but our front office will probably draft a safety with one of our first four picks, we cant pay both of them top money when we have other needs to address , even though I'd love to have both of them back

I like Whitner too but the league has handicapped him, they've taken away his best attribute which is lighting people up.

I like Whitner too but the league has handicapped him, they've taken away his best attribute which is lighting people up.

yup ...Whitner is a hammer and nails kinda guy
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

I actually see it the other way around. I think this front office will do everything in their power to try and keep Whitner and let Brown go considering how deep this draft class is at CB (Safety is pretty solid too but not as deep as CB). Although Donte's been hurt by the NFL's crack down on hitting, he still brings a level of leadership and experience (intangibles) that is worth at least an extra million dollars more than another FA Safety of equal talent.
I think it's considerably more likely they'll re-sign Whitner over Brown. Wright, Cox and maybe a cap-friendly FA like Nolan Carroll of Miami are other options. There's just little experience at S and Donte and Reid make a good tandem.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Am I the only one here that thinks the 49ers better keep Tarell Brown? This guy has developed NICELY over the years and its about time the 49ers KEEP our OWN talent at the Peak of his career, just turned 29 years old so He has 3 sweet years left. He's our BEST cover Corner, he's a good tackler. Why aren't the 49ers thinking about re-signing this GUY?????? C'mon now.

He's a good player to keep but at what cost...
Originally posted by ninerjok:
First of all, the age difference is just slightly more than a year. Furthermore, the Skins can be happy to retain at least one SOLID defensive player. put another way, a loser team has to pay a lot of money to retain a solid player, save for a really good one.

Contrary to that, we are a perennial SB contender and Brock is our #1 CB whereas Cully should be at least #3 and other two guys could be obtained at a low price through FA.
We just need another CB who could start immediately. Lucky as the Niners sometimes are, the draft provides an occean-deep cb-class.
Honestly, Brown is a solid CB but not a guy who I would go for with a lot of money. Not a #1 CB but a very good #2.

Thus, Brown does NOT have the upper hand in this bargain, imho.