LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Tarell Brown, please re-sign with the 49ers.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
We need to go hard after DRC or Cromartie

The same douchebag who turned down a 6 year, $54 million offer from Denver? Yeah, good luck with that.

Did he really? That's brutal lol. He's gonna get stuck with a 1-year deal again.

WOW! Had no clue DRC turned that type of coin down, wasn't he the guy who said he might consider retirement after the SB 2?
Originally posted by matt49er:
WOW! Had no clue DRC turned that type of coin down, wasn't he the guy who said he might consider retirement after the SB 2?

Yup. He probably killed his own stock by saying he's considering retirement. What a buffoon.
@MaioccoCSN 2m
Source: 49ers comfortable w/starting CBs Brock-Culliver; willing to pay Tarell Brown 3 yrs/$10M, but could get Walter Thurmond at 1 yr/$2M.

At this point I think I'd prefer Thurmond on the 1 year deal and a draft pick but I won't complain if they get Brown back.
@MaioccoCSN 2m
Source: 49ers comfortable w/starting CBs Brock-Culliver; willing to pay Tarell Brown 3 yrs/$10M, but could get Walter Thurmond at 1 yr/$2M.

At this point I think I'd prefer Thurmond on the 1 year deal and a draft pick but I won't complain if they get Brown back.

Absolutely I'm on board with this FO move. If nothing else, it forces Brown into a corner and says, "Hey we're willing to offer you a fair contract. If not, we'll sign Thurmond and be good. Either way, you'll compete with Culliver for a starting role but you'll most likely end up as our nickle CB anyhow."

Brown lost his job to Brock and no doubt Culliver has starting material written all over him and it sounds like he's really matured and become a more humble "Niner." Now we have Wright & Morris in their second year as well and no doubt will be targeting a top CB/Dynamic Returner as well in the draft...perhaps 2 and it wouldn't surprise me if Baalke brought in Cook and another FA CB to push the others as well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
@MaioccoCSN 2m

if that is true,, i would sign walter in a minute, get one or two nice rookies and we will be more than fine
@MaioccoCSN 2m

im sorta confused; i read the 2m thing for thurmond, didn't seem right. figured a team like JAX would pay him more than that (unless their cap situation really sucks, idk anything about them) and that he would prefer to go there since he already has a ring. if it's legit though, id totally be good with paying him 2m
Originally posted by lucky_49:
@MaioccoCSN 2m

im sorta confused; i read the 2m thing for thurmond, didn't seem right. figured a team like JAX would pay him more than that (unless their cap situation really sucks, idk anything about them) and that he would prefer to go there since he already has a ring. if it's legit though, id totally be good with paying him 2m

I believe Nolan Carroll was signed for like 2 years 3.6M. So 1 year 2M for a nickle/slot CB seems about right.
@MaioccoCSN 2m

If they get Brown for that deal I would be amazed and love that. I thought the guy played great and if they got him at 3 years for 10 million then thats amazing.
Originally posted by NCommand:
@MaioccoCSN 2m

I believe Nolan Carroll was signed for like 2 years 3.6M. So 1 year 2M for a nickle/slot CB seems about right.
ok. i guess i figured a team would overpay WT because he was on the seattle secondary, even though he may not have been a key part of it exactly
Originally posted by NCommand:
@MaioccoCSN 2m

ok. i guess i figured a team would overpay WT because he was on the seattle secondary, even though he may not have been a key part of it exactly

Wasn't Brown supposed to get 2 million just for working out with the team? How can he only be a 3.3 million guy?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Wasn't Brown supposed to get 2 million just for working out with the team? How can he only be a 3.3 million guy?

Because he didn't live up to his contract last year, statistically, most penalized member of the secondary if not tied with Whitner. Even if he held his own on film he didn't produce any splash plays, so on and so forth.

Now the market has spoken and nobody wants him for anything close to what he thought he was worth. 9ers if they want him are now going to get cheaper than the offer they offered him midseason and he turned down.

Problem is now Brown has to realize that even if he signs a multi-year deal in SF he won't see year 2 if the 9ers plan goes accordingly. As long as Brock doesn't falter and Cully wins the #2 job (he was going to get it before he tore his ACL), Brown would be relegated to competing with Eric Wright for the slot position. We'd be drafting a rookie or two.

Unless Baalke whiffs on the pick(s) or another injury is suffered they'd be asking Brown to reduce his salary or be cut before 2015. Now he should just go to Carolina and be happy with whatever he can get.
It speaks volumes that Brown hasn't got any offers or visits lined up from other teams. He is an "average" DB that more then often gets beat and can't tackle worth crap. Let him walk.
@MaioccoCSN 2m

It would be an interesting way to go, but I don't know if Thurmond can play any way other than press. Fangio likes guys to be able to sit back in a zone and I'm not sure Thurmond has the speed to play that way. At any rate, they're sitting there with only $3 to $4 million left in cap space and it's getting to the point where I don't see how they could keep Brown even if they want to.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
It speaks volumes that Brown hasn't got any offers or visits lined up from other teams. He is an "average" DB that more then often gets beat and can't tackle worth crap. Let him walk.

I don't know about that. I think Pro Football Focus had him rated as the fourth best corner in the league last year or in 2012. It's possible that the reason there hasn't been more activity with him is that teams think the price is agents are talking about is too high.
Share 49ersWebzone