LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Tarell Brown, please re-sign with the 49ers.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It's been quiet on the T Brown front on day one. Good or bad?

Good. The CB market is still shaking out. IMO Brown still needs to wait for Captain Munnerlyn (younger), and DRC (more buzz-worthy name) to find suitors before Brown starts getting offers.

I think he'll end up back here if we can afford to have him or haven't decided to move on. Seems like his financial ceiling is fairly close to what we offered him and ended up giving to Brock.

Verner's deal was with Tampa, 4 years $26M w/ $14M guaranteed, is larger than what DRC or Brown will command....unless the Redskins come in and screw it all up.

humble pie is baked in complete silence
  • Disp
  • Veteran
That Verner deal is pretty surprising to me. It seemed like the CB market was starting to get a little crazy, and then a top tier one signs that deal. With Wright getting resigned and the money the FO spent today I'd still be pretty surprised if Brown is retained.
[ Edited by Disp on Mar 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by martysofresh:

humble pie is baked in complete silence

POD#2
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
That Verner deal is pretty surprising to me. It seemed like the CB market was starting to get a little crazy, and then a top tier one signs that deal. With Wright getting resigned and the money the FO spent today I'd still be pretty surprised if Brown is retained.

Yea Brown coming back right now is a bit unlikely simply based off of scheme and the release of Rogers. Right now I think we end up signing Nolan Carroll and draft a CB before round 2 is over to compete with him and Wright

IMO right now, even recovering from an injury I think Cully has lock on the 2nd starting CB job. It'll come down to who can play inside and Wright can do that, not sure if Carroll can(help on this anybody?), and obviously a draft pick would be able to or we would've have picked him.
Originally posted by sfout:

Yea Brown coming back right now is a bit unlikely simply based off of scheme and the release of Rogers. Right now I think we end up signing Nolan Carroll and draft a CB before round 2 is over to compete with him and Wright

IMO right now, even recovering from an injury I think Cully has lock on the 2nd starting CB job. It'll come down to who can play inside and Wright can do that, not sure if Carroll can(help on this anybody?), and obviously a draft pick would be able to or we would've have picked him.

Why would scheme and Rogers release Make it unlikely? Many people have often felt Brown would be better suited in the slot.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Why would scheme and Rogers release Make it unlikely? Many people have often felt Brown would be better suited in the slot.

Who are these "many people"? Has Brown played significant snaps in the slot in 7 years in the NFL? I don't recall that being the case, if someone can provide stats that show it would be a good move I'd see the logic but right now all of our moves don't ring well for him coming back.

Who are these "many people"? Has Brown played significant snaps in the slot in 7 years in the NFL? I don't recall that being the case, if someone can provide stats that show it would be a good move I'd see the logic but right now all of our moves don't ring well for him coming back.

I think he's talking about ppl on the zone. You're not going to find many stats because I don't believe he's regularly played the slot at all. However he does have the tools to do so. He's quick & fast with supreme agility and more than capable of getting his hands on the football.

Folks around here, Barrows, etc.. Not really sure how to ascertain stats on that, but Barrows has often talked about him being a good fit in the slot.

If we sign Carroll

It's Brock, Cully, Wright, Carroll, Morris, rookie

Maybe Cox?

Folks around here, Barrows, etc.. Not really sure how to ascertain stats on that, but Barrows has often talked about him being a good fit in the slot.

Maiocco, too
i want him back the more i think about it. assuming cully is able to come back 100% from injury, we would have 3 solid CBs with him, TBrown, TBrock (idk who would play nickel, but some of you guys have said brown could probably do it). Would still need some more depth probably but would be a good defensive backfield I think.

Would mean that in the draft, there wouldn't be any position of DIRE need and we could make a really stacked roster.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Thanks. I'll have to hunt for some of their mentions, see what they are basing their thought process on.
It looks like the Jets may end up making a strong push for Tarell Brown.
Didn't Brock play slot in 2011 before he got hurt? I really would like to see Wright get the chance but if Brown comes back, he and Brock could move inside. Just give them an off season to prepare. They have the physical tools.
Share 49ersWebzone