LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

LaCanfora: Face it: Quarterbacks are underpaid thanks to stagnant salary cap

Shop 49ers game tickets
Under no circumstances should Jay Cutler make more money than LeBron James, Kevin Durant, or Paul George (Cutler's 2014 salary actually more than doubles George's career earnings)
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He's saying they're underpaid compared to other sports. I don't see the big deal. Everyone knows the players got hosed in that new CBA deal too.

That's my point... they are not underpaid compared to other sports. A top ten player in the NBA (Durant, Lebron, Paul, Love, etc.) is worth more than a QB in the NFL, because they equate to more wins. The NFL over the past two seasons have proved that you don't need a top 10 QB to win the Super Bowl. In the NBA you need a MINIMUM of two max contract players to even talk about contending for a championship. The Pacers and Spurs may be the only exception to this rule.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Feb 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM ]
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Under no circumstances should Jay Cutler make more money than LeBron James, Kevin Durant, or Paul George (Cutler's 2014 salary actually more than doubles George's career earnings)

AMEN.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
That's my point... they are not underpaid compared to other sports. A top ten player in the NBA (Durant, Lebron, Paul, Love, etc.) is worth more than a QB in the NFL, because they equate to more wins. The NFL over the past two seasons have proved that you don't need a top 10 QB to win the Super Bowl. In the NBA you need a MINIMUM of two max contract players to even talk about contending for a championship. The Pacers and Spurs may be the only exception to this rule.

It's like he said it's hard to afford to pay top dollar to a qb because the cap is way too low and not even inching up.

Nowadays if you want a top qb you pretty much have to live with a pedestrian defense and no run game. Problem is once your qb wins a title he almost automatically becomes a 20 million dollar a year man.
Right on bro. In my opinion these QBs are overpaid with the current state of the cap number. LaConfora should have made his artical about the NFL needing to raise the cap and less about QBs being underpaid, because they are not. For every Manning/Brady how many Leaf/Harrington have we had. The past two Super Bowl proves that you can win the SB with an middle of the road QB.

True

and

He's saying they're underpaid compared to other sports. I don't see the big deal. Everyone knows the players got hosed in that new CBA deal too.

True the players got hosed and this is because the NFL is an owners league where fans will support their teams no matter the players for life. The NBA players have much greater leverage because the NBA is a players league. That league is all about Brid, Magic, MJ, Shaq and Kobe and Lebron. Wherever those players played would determine championships and they would sell seats and bring in revenue. As a matter of fact if the NBA players union formed their own league the interest in the NBA would sink because LeBron sells shoes and tix, not the MIA Heat! Their faces are not covered by helmets and the ball is in LBJ hand most of the game and he can take over a game by himself! No QB can consistently do this whereas LBJ mans his team's offense and anchors the defense and he can go the whole game if need be. This is why a QB shouldn't dictate a franchise the way a LeBron can. Look at what LA Lakers is paying an old hobbled Kobe. It is because he is the draw and not the Lakers themselves. No, QBs are not overpaid and they are not in the same league as an MJ
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM ]
It's like he said it's hard to afford to pay top dollar to a qb because the cap is way too low and not even inching up.

Nowadays if you want a top qb you pretty much have to live with a pedestrian defense and no run game. Problem is once your qb wins a title he almost automatically becomes a 20 million dollar a year man.

As much money as NFL teams make they should share more with the players though but a QB does not do as much for his team on both sides of the ball like LBJ does and they do not affect your win shares as much as he does either. When you draft a Shaq, Tim Duncan or Hakeem you essentially guarantee yourself a playoff spot and about 50 wins per season with average talent around them. No QB can say that year in and year out because they are not on the field for defense nor special teams. LeBron is elite on offense and defense. There is no match!

It's a conspiracy man! Goodell wants the ball flying around to the fastest guys on the field. The D is just there for semantics.
Oh and LaConwanker is a fkn idiot. In what universe is this guy popular?
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
As much money as NFL teams make they should share more with the players though but a QB does not do as much for his team on both sides of the ball like LBJ does and they do not affect your win shares as much as he does either. When you draft a Shaq, Tim Duncan or Hakeem you essentially guarantee yourself a playoff spot and about 50 wins per season with average talent around them. No QB can say that year in and year out because they are not on the field for defense nor special teams. LeBron is elite on offense and defense. There is no match!

Last time I checked Brady, Manning, Rodgers are in the playoffs every year too.

Now I do agree with you that NBA is a player's league and is more superstar driven but the same argument can be applied to baseball as well and that's every bit as team orientated as the NFL.

The bigger point is the salary cap should be increasing and it since 2009 it hasn't. Baseball salaries rose 5.4% last year.
Originally posted by AUniner:
It's a conspiracy man! Goodell wants the ball flying around to the fastest guys on the field. The D is just there for semantics.

Common sense should prevail here. If you got a 20 million dollar qb, expensive receivers, a franchise LT to keep that qb upright it's hard to fund that defense as well.

Last time I checked Brady, Manning, Rodgers are in the playoffs every year too.

Now I do agree with you that NBA is a player's league and is more superstar driven but the same argument can be applied to baseball as well and that's every bit as team orientated as the NFL.

The bigger point is the salary cap should be increasing and it since 2009 it hasn't. Baseball salaries rose 5.4% last year.

Disagree about the baseball comparison. You can sit at a position and have nothing hit at you all game, then strikeout every time at bat. Although you did nothing your team can still win. No starter in the NFL can have a day like that.
So, you want to say that the Ravens won the SB with a subpar QB-play? Flacco was very good in this game,. If he played, like he almost always play, the Ravens would have lost this game.
As for Wilson: the Hawks defense made a terrific job which you usually won't see very often against very good offenses. Wilson only had to manage the game but he did it without any flaws.

Saying that you don't need a Top10 QB, even based on just two season, is really far away from reality, imho.
People dont get it, Market value is what rules, if the NFL is making 10 billion a year its in no small part because of the players playing in it and what he suggests is that players are not being paid what other players get paid in other leagues even if their leagues make less money than the NFL, it makes perfect sense to me and if you guys complain that we are not making that kind of money is because we dont generate 10 bill of profit for our bussinesses (sp?). I truly believe that football players are GROSSLY underpaid if you compare them with other employees of their same rank (baseball, basketball, soccer etc)
I think an argument could be made for other positions, but quarterback? Come on. QBs are given top dollar contracts for position alone. Granted they effect the game more than any other player, but it doesn't automatically mean they should be paid more. In some cases, other players at certain positions have a bigger effect on the game. See Richard Sherman this past season in Seattle or better yet, Champ Bailey during his prime years. I remember one season, I don't think Nnamdi Asomugha (when he was in Oakland) didn't even have 40 passes thrown his way (by comparison, Sherman had 58 thrown his way this season). You can't tell me Cutler, Stafford, etc > Sherman or Asomugha. JJ Watt or Adrian Peterson are other examples. The thing is salaries are going up, but the cap is not reflecting these moves at all. A better argument could've been made about the other positions, but NOT QB.
Originally posted by 9ermex:
People dont get it, Market value is what rules, if the NFL is making 10 billion a year its in no small part because of the players playing in it and what he suggests is that players are not being paid what other players get paid in other leagues even if their leagues make less money than the NFL, it makes perfect sense to me and if you guys complain that we are not making that kind of money is because we dont generate 10 bill of profit for our bussinesses (sp?). I truly believe that football players are GROSSLY underpaid if you compare them with other employees of their same rank (baseball, basketball, soccer etc)

Ndamukong Suh has a $22.4 million cap figure this year, do you think he made $22.4 million in revenue for the Lions this season? Hell no. Lebron has a cap number of $17.6 million this season for being a 2x NBA Champ, lost count on MVPs, and easily the number one basketball player in the world. Please believe he made more than $17.6 million this season for the Heat. So who's really underpaid?
Share 49ersWebzone