LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

How to fix the officiating, if you think it needs it.

Shop 49ers game tickets
The only solution is more officiating replays, less commercials. And that will never occur
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
It is really simple...reduce the perception type penalties and make the rules as black and white as possible. Add in the review.

It won't fix everything...specifically non-calls..but it'll make it a whole lot better.
To me the grayest part of the rules is what an offensive lineman can get away with when blocking, that seems to change every year since 1977. Basically back then an offensive lineman could not extend his hands away from his body or grab at any time. Go back to those rules and offensive holding and illegal use of hands are easy calls you can see a mile away, totally black and white. Of course you no longer have 10 guys a season throw for 4,000 yards + and most fans like these 38-35 games.
[ Edited by BobS on Feb 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM ]
So the NFL is thinking about testing an 8th official this pre-season to see how it goes and they say this will help the officials.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329839/article/nfl-might-add-eighth-official-for-2014-preseason

I don't understand how the NFL would honestly expect anybody to accept this as a viable solution. This is absolutely NOT THE PROBLEM, only a fool would believe that the officials aren't seeing the penalties. The problem is the officials are CHOOSING not to call the penalties. With both of the controversial calls against the 49ers in the playoffs, when RayMac was choked from behind so Rodgers could get free and convert on 4th down and with the Bowman strip and successful turnover, the broadcast tape showed that referees were looking directly at the action and chose NOT to make the correct call.

On a side note, I like how the article comments that the "extra pair of eyes" would be focused on defensive holding. What a joke... is the NFL really trying to push that their guys just ooopsies... we missed those calls. They seem to have no trouble seeing those penalties when 90% of the other teams commit them.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
So the NFL is thinking about testing an 8th official this pre-season to see how it goes and they say this will help the officials.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329839/article/nfl-might-add-eighth-official-for-2014-preseason

I don't understand how the NFL would honestly expect anybody to accept this as a viable solution. This is absolutely NOT THE PROBLEM, only a fool would believe that the officials aren't seeing the penalties. The problem is the officials are CHOOSING not to call the penalties. With both of the controversial calls against the 49ers in the playoffs, when RayMac was choked from behind so Rodgers could get free and convert on 4th down and with the Bowman strip and successful turnover, the broadcast tape showed that referees were looking directly at the action and chose NOT to make the correct call.

On a side note, I like how the article comments that the "extra pair of eyes" would be focused on defensive holding. What a joke... is the NFL really trying to push that their guys just ooopsies... we missed those calls. They seem to have no trouble seeing those penalties when 90% of the other teams commit them.

I saw Dave Diehl oline man for the Giants on Total access today saying that maybe the refs will call more holding against J Smith smh. That pos couldn't hope to contain Cowboy
Pay them so they file their taxes as "NFL Official" only.

If I was part time at my job, i'd probably be inconsistent too.
Y'all should sign Brandon Browner, otherwise any argument for PI is rendered void by decisions your front office made.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
Full time officials. /thread

Originally posted by jbeale49:
Pay them so they file their taxes as "NFL Official" only.

If I was part time at my job, i'd probably be inconsistent too.

these

the nfl needs to take a serious look at making the refs full time
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
It is really simple...reduce the perception type penalties and make the rules as black and white as possible. Add in the review.

It won't fix everything...specifically non-calls..but it'll make it a whole lot better.
To me the grayest part of the rules is what an offensive lineman can get away with when blocking, that seems to change every year since 1977. Basically back then an offensive lineman could not extend his hands away from his body or grab at any time. Go back to those rules and offensive holding and illegal use of hands are easy calls you can see a mile away, totally black and white. Of course you no longer have 10 guys a season throw for 4,000 yards + and most fans like these 38-35 games.

Don't disagree. Like I said earlier, it won't fix no-calls. It's still a step in the right direction.
Hard to believe this happened---

NFL pulls replacement ref from game
The side judge scheduled to work Sunday's game between the New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers was pulled from his assignment Sunday morning after his Facebook page revealed he openly roots for the Saints.

"Obviously, we were not aware that he might be an avid Saints fan," Anderson said. "But we can't take a chance like that."

Ray Anderson, NFL executive vice president of football operations,didn't say how the NFL's background checks could have missed Stropolo's love of the Saints.

There are two schools of thought here:

1. It's unrealistic to think that men who've devoted themselves to become a high-level football official aren't going to have fan allegiances. If you have a side job, like officiating football games, chances are you enjoy the work. If you enjoy the work, you probably like football. And if you enjoy football and aren't working NFL games, then why wouldn't you like an NFL team? No one is completely impartial.

Mortensen reported that one of the Facebook comments said, "That's awesome you get to be an official for a Saints game! I didn't think they would let you since (you're) from Louisiana."

The NFL can't recruit officials from only states without league affiliations, of course.

2. That being said, you can't be blatant about it, like Stropolo. Never flaunt allegiances. Shut down your Facebook page. Don't go to preseason games. Root silently for your team. Sonia Sotomayor supports abortion rights, but she's not marching down Constitution Ave. with Planned Parenthood. Nor is Antonin Scalia "liking" the NRA on Facebook. Impartiality is about perception. The instant you wear a Saints pullover and Saints hat and post it on social media, that perception is gone.

According to a league memo, revealed on nfl.com, officials will no longer work midweek scrimmages. The league reportedly is concerned about the perception of officials being paid by teams for scrimmages, then possibly officiating a game involving that team.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/16/nfl-pulls-saints-official/70000451/1
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM ]
Monitor the bank accounts of ref's before and after games...

~ Call holding on Seattle when they hold which is every single play.

~ Stop making penalties for hitting a QB in the shoulder pads like the New Orleans game.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Call holding on Seattle when they hold which is every single play.

~ Stop making penalties for hitting a QB in the shoulder pads like the New Orleans game.

That would be nice. We'd have our 6th championship if the games were called correctly.
Full time officials would be a good start. How they dont have professionals reffing games is beyond me, just too much at stake.
15 yard personal foul penalties should be review-able.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Mar 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM ]

Next time your friend(s) argue with you over the notion of the NFL fixing their own games for "entertainment purposes," higher ratings, more profit, etc. drop this little nugget on them: The NFL earns approximately $6 billion a year (more than 60% of its revenue which is enough to pay every players' and coaches' salary in the league) from its TV broadcast partners - ABC/ESPN/Disney, NBC, CBS/DirectTV, and FOX. Only Time Warner isn't directly involved with the NFL, though they do own Sports Illustrated and HBO - which aired Inside the NFL for 31 years. NO OTHER BUSINESS IN THE UNITED STATES IS DIRECTLY AFFILIATED WITH OR FUNDED BY THESE MAJOR MEDIA CONGLOMERATES EXCEPT THE NFL. Think about the implications of that.
http://thefixisin.net/nfl2013.html
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone