LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

How to fix the officiating, if you think it needs it.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules

what's your suggestion for this?

I brought it up earlier in the year. Have QB's in jerseys with bright colors in areas you are not allowed to hit. Have a 2 inch line around the neck, and different lower leg coloration. If a player hit's these areas in "an aggressive" manor, it's a 15 yard penalty. All major penalties are reviewed by the booth upstairs. I did this quickly but just an example. The color doesn't have to be so amazingly ugly. This is just an idea admittedly, there could be holes in this idea.
You think this would help looking at a play live, once at full speed? It obviously would help a lot looking at a play in slow motion.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by BobS:
You think this would help looking at a play live, once at full speed? It obviously would help a lot looking at a play in slow motion.

I think it would help defenders eventually adapt to not hitting the colored areas. It's such a fast sport, players don't really have time to think of where to hit. Maybe ingraining a color in their heads would keep them aware, and burn it into their brains not to go around these areas. Even at high speeds.

I want to make it clear, I think something like this is a bit lame. But for the NFL's sake, and if they really want to protect their QB's, something like this may work. As said major penalties would be reviewable, and if a player is within these boundaries , it's obviously a foul. Again, it may damper the game a bit, but it also may help the defenders have a better idea of what is and what is not acceptable. That, and help referee's during a review.
The entire challenge system needs to be overhauled!!! It's an easy thing to fix as well. Just give every team 4 challenge flags total. They are NOT tied into first downs. Also, throw out the need for "conclusive evidence to overturn a call". Every play or penalty is subject to being challenged.

Sure it may add 10 minutes onto each game but given the amount that the NFL makes off advertising, I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to a few more commercials per game.

Problem solved. Make it happen. Clearly the current system must be changed. Imagine if Lynch wouldn't have fumbled right after the blown fumble recovery by Bowman? Heads would have rolled.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:
The entire challenge system needs to be overhauled!!! It's an easy thing to fix as well. Just give every team 4 challenge flags total. They are NOT tied into first downs. Also, throw out the need for "conclusive evidence to overturn a call". Every play or penalty is subject to being challenged.

Sure it may add 10 minutes onto each game but given the amount that the NFL makes off advertising, I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to a few more commercials per game.

Problem solved. Make it happen. Clearly the current system must be changed. Imagine if Lynch wouldn't have fumbled right after the blown fumble recovery by Bowman? Heads would have rolled.
I don't know if I could stand any more commercials. Pretty sure watching sports is about the same, your average 30 minute TV show is only 21 minutes actual run time, they used to have 25 minutes run time.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules

what's your suggestion for this?

Well, I'm not engineer, so my opinion doesn't count for much. If you'll allow me to generalize... There have been major advancements working with nano fibers that are extraordinary strong and light weight. If this could be engineered in a way that could protect joints and help decelerate the head and neck, it would be a start

this tech seems like it's still a few years away from actually being applied on the field, and still in the "maybe" stages. an approach of "waiting for new technology" implies that nothing is being done right now and holds the NFL liable to lawsuits from players up until that new tech is implemented AND proven effective on the field.
Originally posted by pete98146:

I don't know if I could stand any more commercials. Pretty sure watching sports is about the same, your average 30 minute TV show is only 21 minutes actual run time, they used to have 25 minutes run time.

It does not hurt much. Especially with things like the Red Zone channel now. When one game is on commercial, you can flip to that and see any other game playing.

My stance: If the NFL is so willing to extend to 18 game seasons, why is it an issue to extend games by ten to fifteen minutes if you are ultimately getting calls right?

I think baseball got their replay system right by having a centralized hub that reviews plays. The NFL could do something similar, and I think it would really help. The problem with the way the rules are written and reviewed now is that the game is so fast, and it leaves so much gray area for the official to decipher in a split second. Not to mention, the emotion of being in the game has an effect on people, so they might be swayed to call something a certain way. For example, a coach complaining about how a player does something illegal can plant it in the official's head, and they may make a call they otherwise wouldn't have.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
Player committing penalty is to be removed from field of play.

5 yard yard penalty = 1 down with 10 men (no substitutions)
10 yard penalty = 30 seconds (game clock seconds), same 10 men remain (no substitutions) unless there is a change of possession.
15 yard penalty = 60 seconds (game clock), same 10 men remain on field (no substitutions) unless there is a change of possession.

It would make things interesting at least.
I have to give you credit for coming up with a new twist. Sounds like this would be a good gimmick for the next start-up football league to try.

LOL penalty box for Sherman
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I thought officiating was already "fixed"
Originally posted by Janitor:

[ Edited by robniner on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM ]
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by Janitor:

Tim Donaghy Details How NBA Officials, League Allegedly Fix Games (Exclusive Interview Part 3)--

PMB: I've seen Phoenix Suns fans blame you for "stealing away" their 2007 title and giving it to the San Antonio Spurs.

TD: I write in the book that there's no doubt I feel the
Phoenix Suns were the best team in in the league in 2007. And that
whole series was officiated poorly, and I give the reasons in the book
as to why I feel it was officiated poorly. And one of the reasons is
that Tommy Nunez was the supervisor of officials in that series. And he
had a dislike for the (Suns) owner Robert Sarver, and he enjoyed the
lifestyle in San Antonio, and liked to get back in the next round of
the playoffs and continue to go to San Antonio. So it was a situation
that he was steering the series to San Antonio in tape sessions.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-guru/2011/06/tim-donaghy-details-how-nba-officials-league-allegedly-fix-games-exclusive-interview-part-3/

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Tim Donaghy Details How NBA Officials, League Allegedly Fix Games (Exclusive Interview Part 3)--

PMB: I've seen Phoenix Suns fans blame you for "stealing away" their 2007 title and giving it to the San Antonio Spurs.

TD: I write in the book that there's no doubt I feel the
Phoenix Suns were the best team in in the league in 2007. And that
whole series was officiated poorly, and I give the reasons in the book
as to why I feel it was officiated poorly. And one of the reasons is
that Tommy Nunez was the supervisor of officials in that series. And he
had a dislike for the (Suns) owner Robert Sarver, and he enjoyed the
lifestyle in San Antonio, and liked to get back in the next round of
the playoffs and continue to go to San Antonio. So it was a situation
that he was steering the series to San Antonio in tape sessions.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-guru/2011/06/tim-donaghy-details-how-nba-officials-league-allegedly-fix-games-exclusive-interview-part-3/

And that kinda stuff happens in the NFL as well just look at the Niners last 3 seasons, the last 2 especially. Anyone who doesn't think the refs steer games the way the league wants them to is a naive fool.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM ]
I don't know why certain calls are not subject to review, so standard reviews on a bunch of different kinds of calls that happen too quickly for refs to see clearly - definitely on unnecessary roughness penalties and holding (why should teams get away with either defensive or offensive holding just because a ref doesn't see it?). The rumor is that the NFL is contemplating a central reviewing location with officials watching each game closely and signalling a review when they think it's necessary based on replays and/or a challenge from head coach. Roger Goodell has been quoted as saying they need to do whatever is necessary to get the calls correct.

Refs should be suspended if too many of their calls are reviewed and found to be wrong.

Two kinds of pass interference - 15 yards for "mistakes" and the way it is now for "blatant." And these should be reviewed.

Refs should not live in the area of the game they're working. A local Bay Area ref should not be working a game at Levi Stadium and a local Seattle resident should not be working a game at CLink.
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't know why certain calls are not subject to review, so standard reviews on a bunch of different kinds of calls that happen too quickly for refs to see clearly - definitely on unnecessary roughness penalties and holding (why should teams get away with either defensive or offensive holding just because a ref doesn't see it?). The rumor is that the NFL is contemplating a central reviewing location with officials watching each game closely and signalling a review when they think it's necessary based on replays and/or a challenge from head coach. Roger Goodell has been quoted as saying they need to do whatever is necessary to get the calls correct.

Refs should be suspended if too many of their calls are reviewed and found to be wrong.

Two kinds of pass interference - 15 yards for "mistakes" and the way it is now for "blatant." And these should be reviewed.

Refs should not live in the area of the game they're working. A local Bay Area ref should not be working a game at Levi Stadium and a local Seattle resident should not be working a game at CLink.

Unfortunately the refs would use that the same way they do the two different roughing the kicker penalties. For the team they are trying to help... they'll always get the 15 yard version and the opponent will get the spot foul for like 40 yards or whatever. For example, when Seattle pass interferes they will always get the 15 yard penalty and if anyone interferes their guy they'll get the spot foul. You'd run into the same problem the NFL had when there was a 5 yard facemask penalty and a 15 yard... they'd always call the 5 yard penalty when one team committed a facemask but when someone facemasked that team they'd get the 15 yarder... it was ridiculous.
It is really simple...reduce the perception type penalties and make the rules as black and white as possible. Add in the review.

It won't fix everything...specifically non-calls..but it'll make it a whole lot better.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
It is really simple...reduce the perception type penalties and make the rules as black and white as possible. Add in the review.

It won't fix everything...specifically non-calls..but it'll make it a whole lot better.

This. Get rid of "grey area" rules open for interpretation. The NFL once had a crazy "forceout" rule where the ref had to judge whether a pass catcher would of landed in bounds had the defender not pushed him out. Such a dumb rule they got ride of. Another example is "uncatchable" when it comes to PI. Its PI or not. The ref should't have to judge whether a ball was "catchable" or not. Totally subjective rules like that should be altered.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone