There are 541 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How to fix the officiating, if you think it needs it.

Everything should be up for review and I like the idea of centralized review system. Asking the ref who made the questionable call in the first place to go under the hood is stupid. He'll be less inclined to over-turn his call unless it's 110% obvious that he was wrong. Even in such cases - refs have f**ked up.

Yes, all turnovers are reviewed...but IMO - all plays that could have resulted in a TO should be reviewed as well. So, if someone fumbled the ball but refs called him down by contact - it should be reviewed automatically OR don't f**king call down by contract and let it be a TO so you can go back and review it - use common f**king sense. Fumbles and interceptions are big plays and can change the game completely.

...also - I don't know what the f**k is a catch anymore. Keep it simple and clear for viewers as well as refs. Also...running QBs should get the same protection as pocket-passers if they're in the pocket. You shouldn't be judged differently because you have an ability to run fast.

I'm all for protecting players. Current rules are fine and it's not pussification of the game. The doodes are bigger and faster...f = m x a. Therefore, NFL needs to protect these guys.
[ Edited by 4ML on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM ]
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 86
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,333
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
I am so glad you pointed that out to me, because I really had no idea.

Anyway...the problem is the officials still will only call so many penalties a game. 15 a game is normal, but it can go as high as 20 or so. They pick and choose, and currently there isn't much anyone can do about it. If they called everything then they run into problems with game length, which is an issue for the networks scheduling. Fairness takes a backseat to revenue. Same reasons baseball was so against replay, and why they keep adding new rules to speed up the games.
I don't know where you watch the games but on network TV here (Richmond Virginia area) any sporting event I have ever watched has over ran into the next program usually an average of 15-30 minutes. This includes college and NFL football, NBA, Nascar, and even Golf. Maybe in other areas they allow more time and have a post game show whose time they alter to adjust. They don't here they will just move all the other programs later for the rest of the day all the way to 2am, no such thing as a post game show except for big events like the Super Bowl or NBA finals.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
also i like the college system a lot better than the NFL's. separate replay official, all plays reviewable. targeting penalties (hits to the head) are confirmed via replay. really doesn't slow the game down that much.


not sure what are the consequences are for missed calls..... all i know is the ref that mike tomlin blocked got demoted or whatever......

This.

SAY GOODBYE!
1. With the money the NFL has, as well as on-field refs, they should have cameras EVERYWHERE to see the entire field, and broadcast it in a booth full of officials watching, just as we do. They can buzz down to the field refs, and have the penalty called, or buzz in to cancel the "bad" call.

2. Each team can have unlimited challenge flags. If you challenge and lose, you lose a time-out as it is now. But if you challenge, lose the challenge, and are out of time-outs, you lose 10 yards. But the above #1 option SHOULD eliminate challenge flags, as every play is shown in detail.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,333
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
1. With the money the NFL has, as well as on-field refs, they should have cameras EVERYWHERE to see the entire field, and broadcast it in a booth full of officials watching, just as we do. They can buzz down to the field refs, and have the penalty called, or buzz in to cancel the "bad" call.

2. Each team can have unlimited challenge flags. If you challenge and lose, you lose a time-out as it is now. But if you challenge, lose the challenge, and are out of time-outs, you lose 10 yards. But the above #1 option SHOULD eliminate challenge flags, as every play is shown in detail.
As I hope most of you realize if you are looking at a play unbiased, most of the time you will agree with the officials seeing the play once at full speed. The bad calls and non calls become apparent mostly because of slow motion replays. It would be a rarity if one official could rewind a play after it ended, catch something and buzz the field to stop action in the 40 seconds allotted between plays. Then you need a conference, meeting of the minds in the booth and a decision. If it is a judgement call it will take longer than something like off sides where it is pretty cut and dried. There were 142 plays in the Super Bowl counting special team plays.
even if you just double the time between plays that would add an hour and a half to games. That wouldn't even be enough time to get all the calls correct
Originally posted by Ruhl:
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules

what's your suggestion for this?
Originally posted by 4ML:
Everything should be up for review and I like the idea of centralized review system. Asking the ref who made the questionable call in the first place to go under the hood is stupid. He'll be less inclined to over-turn his call unless it's 110% obvious that he was wrong. Even in such cases - refs have f**ked up.

Yes, all turnovers are reviewed...but IMO - all plays that could have resulted in a TO should be reviewed as well. So, if someone fumbled the ball but refs called him down by contact - it should be reviewed automatically OR don't f**king call down by contract and let it be a TO so you can go back and review it - use common f**king sense. Fumbles and interceptions are big plays and can change the game completely.

...also - I don't know what the f**k is a catch anymore. Keep it simple and clear for viewers as well as refs. Also...running QBs should get the same protection as pocket-passers if they're in the pocket. You shouldn't be judged differently because you have an ability to run fast.

I'm all for protecting players. Current rules are fine and it's not pussification of the game. The doodes are bigger and faster...f = m x a. Therefore, NFL needs to protect these guys.

so this.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules

what's your suggestion for this?

I brought it up earlier in the year. Have QB's in jerseys with bright colors in areas you are not allowed to hit. Have a 2 inch line around the neck, and different lower leg coloration. If a player hit's these areas in "an aggressive" manor, it's a 15 yard penalty. All major penalties are reviewed by the booth upstairs. I did this quickly but just an example. The color doesn't have to be so amazingly ugly. This is just an idea admittedly, there could be holes in this idea.
Wow..seriously????

One they should be fulltime employees...

Two wtf kind of topic is this... lol the offseason... ugh
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules

what's your suggestion for this?

I brought it up earlier in the year. Have QB's in jerseys with bright colors in areas you are not allowed to hit. Have a 2 inch line around the neck, and different lower leg coloration. If a player hit's these areas in "an aggressive" manor, it's a 15 yard penalty. All major penalties are reviewed by the booth upstairs. I did this quickly but just an example. The color doesn't have to be so amazingly ugly. This is just an idea admittedly, there could be holes in this idea.

well.... in that case the QB is still in danger of getting sneezed on and/or contracting herpes or worse from a defensive player.


IMO something similar to the "halo rule" should be applied. if you can run into a 1.5 yard radius around the QB and yell "boo" that should be considered a sack. if the QB releases the ball while the pass rusher is within this radius that should be considered a sack/fumble..... thus if the receiver drops the ball it's still live.

much srs.
there should also be a personal foul if the QB trips over his own linemen. on the offense.


15 yards from the spot, loss of down.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 86
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Ruhl:
They need to fix the safety issues first and foremost. Find a way to protect the players using technology as opposed to adding more rules

what's your suggestion for this?

Well, I'm not engineer, so my opinion doesn't count for much. If you'll allow me to generalize... There have been major advancements working with nano fibers that are extraordinary strong and light weight. If this could be engineered in a way that could protect joints and help decelerate the head and neck, it would be a start
[ Edited by Ruhl on Feb 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,333
Originally posted by wailers15:
Wow..seriously????

One they should be fulltime employees...

Two wtf kind of topic is this... lol the offseason... ugh
I think it is a good topic, tell me why it isn't. I was calling out all the people who complain about the officiating to propose a way to fix it. Show the masses they have a better idea.
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
Lol, well if you want people would take penalties seriously. Suddenly the NFL would go from 15 flags a game to less than 5. Teams with no penalties would have a much higher probability of winning.

Your dip s**t team won the bowl leading the league in penalties.

I am so glad you pointed that out to me, because I really had no idea.



You are not welcome.