LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Superbowl Vet: Seahawks Defense would have dominated any offense in NFL history

Shop 49ers game tickets
Steve Tasker took too many shots to the head. Someone should help that poor man.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Seattle is a real buzz saw. There is massive homerism on this board because people want to believe we are the best. But we are more the Eagles. NFC Championship loser for many years. When they win multiple titles and block us many years you will realize they are the new dynasty (Seahawks). 90's Cowbows. 2000's Patriots. 2010's Seahawks. Unfortunately they are what we want to be and wish we were. They are just better, bigger, younger, faster and rougher and more physical. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they win more Championships.

SanDiego STOP IT!!!

5 Super Bowls to there 1........1 LOL 1!!!

Could've sworn the 9ers this year beat those Super Bowl chumps and they STILL continue to lose in San Francisco. 9ers won in Seattle in 2011, can't remember the last time they won in San Francisco!!!

Sorry but ummm no I will not bow down to these fake ass Super Bowl wanna-be dynasty chumps. Their Defense is so overrated they got ropa-doped by Arizona and St. Louis in St. Louis. And another one for your post.

They could be very powerful. They have a good young team. Look at their average age. That team can win more Super Bowls. It's not only me saying it. Many analysts and ex players are saying they could be the new dynasty. We got a ways to go to catch them. They got a Legion of Boom secondary and a Beastmode RB. We don't have either of those.

Buddy,

Have you heard of performance enhancing drugs and how much a difference it makes in someone's play?

You know of Pete Carroll's track record and how he nearly crippled the USC football program?

Maybe you need to turn in your fan card because cheat praising is not accepted here.
SanDiego STOP IT!!!

Could've sworn the 9ers this year beat those Super Bowl chumps and they STILL continue to lose in San Francisco. 9ers won in Seattle in 2011, can't remember the last time they won in San Francisco!!!

Sorry but ummm no I will not bow down to these fake ass Super Bowl wanna-be dynasty chumps. Their Defense is so overrated they got ropa-doped by Arizona and St. Louis in St. Louis. And another one for your post.

Isn't full-on trolling a bannable offense of some sort, because that's essentially all he's been doing since early January.
There's so much b******t going on but when you think about it, a single call could have changed the outlook of the entire season.

If that's a sack and a fumble recovery as it should have been, 49ers win, 49ers end up winning homefield, the road to the Superbowl goes through San Francisco and we have a whole different storyline on our hands. THAT is how close it was.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
SanDiego STOP IT!!!

Isn't full-on trolling a bannable offense of some sort, because that's essentially all he's been doing since early January.

That 1 should have an asterisk beside it so if Cheattle knew what playing clean and fair is, it would be zero.
There's so much b******t going on but when you think about it, a single call could have changed the outlook of the entire season.

If that's a sack and a fumble recovery as it should have been, 49ers win, 49ers end up winning homefield, the road to the Superbowl goes through San Francisco and we have a whole different storyline on our hands. THAT is how close it was.

Everything is getting magnified right now because of the sickening travesty on Sunday.
He's correct. They got a Legion of Boom secondary that nobody can compete with.

I found the most interesting part of this game to be the playing style of the legion of goons verses an NFL passing icon. For the last decade the NFL has done everything to help scoring, and support a passing league. The Legion of Goons, flies in the face of those desires. Their grabbing, holding and arm barring style is more often than not over the line (smokey) and against the rules.

I made a prediction before the game that if the Refs "let them play" Sea-aderall wins in a blow out. If the Refs cal all the defensive holding and PI early, Denver wins in a squeakier. They obviously "let them play" Sherman grabbing and holding on the outside ad Chancilor nailing defenseless recovers on the inside, was the key to this victory. Manning and the donkeys did exactly what I would have done, thrown short and fast to draw the refs eyes to the "bump and grab" coverage, looking to draw flags, that did not come. Dump it off over the middle and draw the defenseless recover flag, that never came.

Where this is interesting is, most teams emulate the Super Bowl champs the following season. Is the league sending a new message about the style of football we will be seeing in the future? If so, we need to jump on the "bump and grab" defense, and start laying the same game, or we will never catch up.

As for the legion of goons being better than any offense in history, give me a Bill Walsh coached team of modern players (need the size and speed) and I will mop the floor with these guys! Walsh would have schemed around these guys. Hell we were one amazing defensive play, and couple of bad calls away from beating these guys at home, and let me remind you the Arizona Cardinal offense beat them just a few weeks ago, so Sea-Aderall, get over yourselves, you were okay, but the gold standard, the red and gold standard for Donkey whippings is 55-10.
They could be very powerful. They have a good young team. Look at their average age. That team can win more Super Bowls. It's not only me saying it. Many analysts and ex players are saying they could be the new dynasty. We got a ways to go to catch them. They got a Legion of Boom secondary and a Beastmode RB. We don't have either of those.

unless its some super old team who wins the super bowl, you generally hear those things about the newly crowned champs a week or two that follows the super bowl. its pathetic you're already giving them future titles knowing how hard it is to win one and how hard it is to repeat. from now on you're SDHawk to me.

Yup how crazy is that, that one blown call in a regular season game was the difference between hawks being champs and the niners. If the game was at candlestick, we don't have all the turnovers and win the game. Hawks can only beat us in Seattle. Last time we won in seattle was 2011. Last time hawks won in candlestick was 2008!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Staying on topic the Joe Montana led team of the 80's ran into the #1 defense twice in the play-offs in the years they made and won the Super Bowl.
In 1988 the Chicago Bears had the #1 defense allowing 13.4 points a game. NFC conference final San Francisco 28 Chicago 3
In 1989 the Denver Broncos had the #1 defense allowing 14.1 points a game. Super Bowl final San Francisco 55 Denver 10

Of course as long time fans know the 80's teams had a habit of not always taking regular season games seriously especially late in the year in pretty much meaningless games. The last game of 1988 the 49ers gave up 9 sacks and I think Montana was sacked 6 of those. They would meet high rated defenses in the regular season and sometimes struggle and then go and destroy the same team in the play-offs. One example in the 1988 regular season the Bears won 10-9 over the 49ers only to get smoked 28-3 in the play-offs. Maybe that is what is wrong with Manning in the play-offs, he and his teammates are giving it 100% already the whole regular season, when the play-offs hit they are all ready maxed out. They aren't prepared for an opponent (like the 80's 49ers) who raises their game in the play-offs and end up shell shocked like they were in the Super Bowl.

Originally posted by BobS:
Staying on topic the Joe Montana led team of the 80's ran into the #1 defense twice in the play-offs in the years they made and won the Super Bowl.
In 1988 the Chicago Bears had the #1 defense allowing 13.4 points a game. NFC conference final San Francisco 28 Chicago 3
In 1989 the Denver Broncos had the #1 defense allowing 14.1 points a game. Super Bowl final San Francisco 55 Denver 10

Of course as long time fans know the 80's teams had a habit of not always taking regular season games seriously especially late in the year in pretty much meaningless games. The last game of 1988 the 49ers gave up 9 sacks and I think Montana was sacked 6 of those. They would meet high rated defenses in the regular season and sometimes struggle and then go and destroy the same team in the play-offs. One example in the 1988 regular season the Bears won 10-9 over the 49ers only to get smoked 28-3 in the play-offs. Maybe that is what is wrong with Manning in the play-offs, he and his teammates are giving it 100% already the whole regular season, when the play-offs hit they are all ready maxed out. They aren't prepared for an opponent (like the 80's 49ers) who raises their game in the play-offs and end up shell shocked like they were in the Super Bowl.

Talking about defense, our dynasty d never gets the respect it deserves. If you bookend the championships here where the dynasty year team profiles based on scoring:
1981- 7th offense, 2nd defense
1982- 7th offense, 23rd defense
1983- 4th offense, 4th defense
1984- 2nd offense, 1st defense
1985- 5th offense, 2nd defense
1986- 7th offense, 3rd defense
1987- 1st offense, 3rd defense
1988- 7th offense, 8th defense
1989- 1st offense, 3rd defense
1990- 8th offense, 2nd defense
1991- 3rd offense, 4th defense
1992- 1st offense, 3rd defense
1993- 1st offense, 16th defense
1994- 1st offense, 6th defense

So in a 14 year period, they had a top 5 offense nine times and a top 10 offense all fourteen years. Defensively they were top 5 ten times and top 10 twelve times. It really is ashamed how overlooked the dynasty defense is, cause that track record could be put up against all the named defenses.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Talking about defense, our dynasty d never gets the respect it deserves. If you bookend the championships here where the dynasty year team profiles based on scoring:

So in a 14 year period, they had a top 5 offense nine times and a top 10 offense all fourteen years. Defensively they were top 5 ten times and top 10 twelve times. It really is ashamed how overlooked the dynasty defense is, cause that track record could be put up against all the named defenses.
I am aware that the defense was as high ranked as the offense in the dynasty years. Unfortunately defenses usually only get credit when they are carrying a below average offense. That really isn't fair because I don't think I have ever seen a team with a poor defense win anything no matter how good the offense is, by poor defense I mean bottom 10. I wonder what the best any NFL team has done with a low rated defense?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Yup how crazy is that, that one blown call in a regular season game was the difference between hawks being champs and the niners. If the game was at candlestick, we don't have all the turnovers and win the game. Hawks can only beat us in Seattle. Last time we won in seattle was 2011. Last time hawks won in candlestick was 2008!

Give it a rest with the Brees roughing call video. Even watching slow motion replay that is a judgement call that could go either way he does end up with his arm around Brees's neck. You are not supposed to hit a defenseless player in the head or neck now a days, and a quarterback throwing from the pocket is considered a defenseless player.
A better question is could the Denver offense beat any ones defense in the Super Bowl they looked terrible not sharp at all who knows how much of it was the Seattle D or just how bad Denver was un prepared and didn't show up.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Niners816:

I am aware that the defense was as high ranked as the offense in the dynasty years. Unfortunately defenses usually only get credit when they are carrying a below average offense. That really isn't fair because I don't think I have ever seen a team with a poor defense win anything no matter how good the offense is, by poor defense I mean bottom 10. I wonder what the best any NFL team has done with a low rated defense?

I looked back in the last ten years and I found the following Super Bowl winning teams:

2011 giants- 9th offense, 25th defense
2007 giants- 14th offense, 17th defense
2006 colts- 2nd offense, 23rd defense

To your point tho, teams like this would have struggled to make the playoffs let alone win the title. The current environment of the nfl has allowed partial teams to thrive, by getting hot at the right time.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone