LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Superbowl Vet: Seahawks Defense would have dominated any offense in NFL history

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Seattle is a real buzz saw. There is massive homerism on this board because people want to believe we are the best. But we are more the Eagles. NFC Championship loser for many years. When they win multiple titles and block us many years you will realize they are the new dynasty (Seahawks). 90's Cowbows. 2000's Patriots. 2010's Seahawks. Unfortunately they are what we want to be and wish we were. They are just better, bigger, younger, faster and rougher and more physical. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they win more Championships.

Seattle will get crap beat out of them next year.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
I think the parts that gets people is they said dominate.There were too many great coaches and players in history to say that word.That's like saying the 49ers team year x would every Superbowl team ever.Silly.I mean come on they may have dominated the Broncos but had trouble with the Texans this year.

Right, and I don't mean to say I don't think the 89 team could beat this year's Seahawks. I actually think it could, but I don't think it would be a beat down or a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination. I agree with him that the 89 defense would stop the Seahawks cold. But I think this year's Seahawks would be a lot harder to score and move the ball on than any of the teams that 89 team played in the playoffs. Plus, back in 89, I don't remember any games where the refs would have let the DB's hold on to receivers like they do today. On the other hand, there was a lot more "enforcing" allowed than today. Lott was knocking guys' heads off back there.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by 9er2k:
I think the parts that gets people is they said dominate.There were too many great coaches and players in history to say that word.That's like saying the 49ers team year x would every Superbowl team ever.Silly.I mean come on they may have dominated the Broncos but had trouble with the Texans this year.

Right, and I don't mean to say I don't think the 89 team could beat this year's Seahawks. I actually think it could, but I don't think it would be a beat down or a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination. I agree with him that the 89 defense would stop the Seahawks cold. But I think this year's Seahawks would be a lot harder to score and move the ball on than any of the teams that 89 team played in the playoffs. Plus, back in 89, I don't remember any games where the refs would have let the DB's hold on to receivers like they do today. On the other hand, there was a lot more "enforcing" allowed than today. Lott was knocking guys' heads off back there.

The '89 niners faced Minnesota in the first round, they had the 1st rank d vs yards and 6th vs points, beat them 41-10. Second round was rams they were 17th vs pts, 21st vs yards, they won 30-3. In the Super Bowl Denver was 1st vs pts and 3rd vs yards and we all know that was a 55-10 game. 1989 niners is in the handful of all time greatest football teams and would have hammered this Seahawks team bad. Also by my recollection there was a lot of holding allowed in the secondary and jerry didn't seem to have a problem with that. I feel bad even mentioning this Seahawks team in the same sentence with that '89 squad or any other all time nfl team.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM ]
The 89 team was one of the greatest teams in NFL history, and my guess is that they would have beaten the Seahawk team that played last Sunday, but I can't agree that it would have been an easy win. I'm sorry, but I think this Seahawk D is better than any D I saw in the 80's or 90's and that includes the 85 Bears.
At first the Seahawks had no trophies and were irrelevant, and now they're being compared to our dynasty teams.

Feel like I'm in the twilight zone.
Originally posted by verb1der:
At first the Seahawks had no trophies and were irrelevant, and now they're being compared to our dynasty teams.

Feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

lol don't worry. The Olympics are starting soon and they will go back to obscurity.
Originally posted by crake49:
The 89 team was one of the greatest teams in NFL history, and my guess is that they would have beaten the Seahawk team that played last Sunday, but I can't agree that it would have been an easy win. I'm sorry, but I think this Seahawk D is better than any D I saw in the 80's or 90's and that includes the 85 Bears.

In the 80's I would take both the '85 bears and '86 giants over this Seahawks d. Also if I was pressed I would probably take the late 80's saint defense as a scarier unit. In the 90's I would absolutely take the '92-93 cowboys squad. I. The 00's I would take both the 2000 ravens d and the 2002 bucs d. Now I will concede its one of the best secondaries, but as far as a total unit there are handful I would take over it.
The same D that gave up 100 yards to Kapernick in the first half? Oh yea, so historic. The are good, but C'mon man.

Our D in 2011 was wayyyy better.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM ]
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Seattle is a real buzz saw. There is massive homerism on this board because people want to believe we are the best. But we are more the Eagles. NFC Championship loser for many years. When they win multiple titles and block us many years you will realize they are the new dynasty (Seahawks). 90's Cowbows. 2000's Patriots. 2010's Seahawks. Unfortunately they are what we want to be and wish we were. They are just better, bigger, younger, faster and rougher and more physical. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they win more Championships.

I won't say they'll get the crap kicked out them. They should be very good, but they are not guaranteed anything.

We go through this after every SB. The winners get hailed to such extremes. You here people say "zomg they're unbeatable".."They are the best ____ in history."

Next year everything resets to zero, and it's going to be another grind to the top. We have just as good a chance as they do.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I won't say they'll get the crap kicked out them. They should be very good, but they are not guaranteed anything.

We go through this after every SB. The winners get hailed to such extremes. You here people say "zomg they're unbeatable".."They are the best ____ in history."

Next year everything resets to zero, and it's going to be another grind to the top. We have just as good a chance as they do.

I'm already looking forward to the re-match. Not sure why people are so down on our team... We were the best team last year and fell short. We lost three close post-season games in a row. Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to go ape s**t over. Kap is fine, Harbaugh is fine, the D is fine, ST is fine.

Lets get it on!
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM ]

its real sad watching SD's posts. its one thing to think jed york was an idiot and kaepernick locks on to crabtree and is limited to 1 read. to pencil seattle in for multiple sb's is retarded. i respect them, but the nfc is loaded, they'll have cap decisions to make and we're quietly living in an era where nobody is repeating let alone even coming close. everyone slurped on green bay's balls in 2011 as defending champs who were like 13-0, they lost a game and then a playoff game and poof. theres so much that goes into winning a super bowl and i get that they're the team de jour right now, but its just really pathetic watching another supposed niner fan saying 'when' seattle wins another ring or two, not if.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I'm already looking forward to the re-match. Not sure why people are so down on our team... We were the best team last year and fell short. We lost three close post-season games in a row. Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to go ape s**t over. Kap is fine, Harbaugh is fine, the D is fine, ST is fine.

Lets get it on!

Hell yeah! We have a GREAT team. We don't need a major overhaul like some are suggesting. We need to fine tune and build on what we have. There is not much that separates us from Seattle. Believe me, those f**kers were sweating bullets before the NFCCG. We were the team they didn't want to face, and there is a reason for that.
Originally posted by crabman82:
its real sad watching SD's posts. its one thing to think jed york was an idiot and kaepernick locks on to crabtree and is limited to 1 read. to pencil seattle in for multiple sb's is retarded. i respect them, but the nfc is loaded, they'll have cap decisions to make and we're quietly living in an era where nobody is repeating let alone even coming close. everyone slurped on green bay's balls in 2011 as defending champs who were like 13-0, they lost a game and then a playoff game and poof. theres so much that goes into winning a super bowl and i get that they're the team de jour right now, but its just really pathetic watching another supposed niner fan saying 'when' seattle wins another ring or two, not if.

lol yeah. Its not like we were 12-4 and they were 11-3 and we were screwed out of the division title by p***y litte Brees....

You would think we went 8-8 by some of the postings around here. Be proud of your team men. Don't bow down to the Seachickens!

Lets get it on!

Hell yeah! We have a GREAT team. We don't need a major overhaul like some are suggesting. We need to fine tune and build on what we have. There is not much that separates us from Seattle. Believe me, those f**kers were sweating bullets before the NFCCG. We were the team they didn't want to face, and there is a reason for that.

Yup. They were sweating s**t during that last drive. I bet some of them turned the game off because they couldn't handle it. They aren't used to that kind of intense pressure. They're used to watching Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman in January.
Originally posted by crabman82:

lol yeah. Its not like we were 12-4 and they were 11-3 and we were screwed out of the division title by p***y litte Brees....

You would think we went 8-8 by some of the postings around here. Be proud of your team men. Don't bow down to the Seachickens!

lol there was just some newb in another thread saying we cant go past seattle until we win in seattle. i mean its not like their losing streak is sf is longer than ours up there or anything. we'll probably split and the div will come down to the other 14 games.
Share 49ersWebzone