There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Superbowl Vet: Seahawks Defense would have dominated any offense in NFL history

Originally posted by tab420:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Keep it in the Niners section?
Whats the website URL to this forum?

I'm not here to critique how we sound, I'm here to talk Niners football, like I said I honestly don't care about that one and done team up north. Don't they have their own forums or is that something that their brand new fan-base is still building?

Like I said, next year is our year. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted
In my opinion this year was the weakest AFC team to make a superbowl in the history of the game.

You respond a lot for someone who keeps saying they don't care. You don't have a next year the 49'ers do. Theirs no you on the team.

Jeez,
Clearly i stated i don't care about the team, are we talking about the Seahawks? No.
When i say we i mean as in franchise, when you are a part of a fan-base who has a winning record and multiple super bowl victories you will understand what i mean. Until then i suggest you "migrate" to another bird forum and talk football with people who actually care about the seahawks.
Originally posted by tab420:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Keep it in the Niners section?
Whats the website URL to this forum?

I'm not here to critique how we sound, I'm here to talk Niners football, like I said I honestly don't care about that one and done team up north. Don't they have their own forums or is that something that their brand new fan-base is still building?

Like I said, next year is our year. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted
In my opinion this year was the weakest AFC team to make a superbowl in the history of the game.

You respond a lot for someone who keeps saying they don't care. You don't have a next year the 49'ers do. Theirs no you on the team.

Wut ?

Stop now.
i do think its pathetic that hawk fans still chatting it up here. i guess the ones who were here before the playoffs or whatever. but the newbs signing up? get outta here, you arent going to get any respect and nobody really wants to chat with you. you should be over at your board celebrating your title win. we're not going to agree with you about the greatness of your team, yeah you're good but we're right there too. we dont care about average margin of your wins at home vs ours and all that other s**t. you're here to pump your chests out whether its in a aggressive way or in a subtle way.
Bird forum. Says the old stinky miner.
Originally posted by tab420:
Bird forum. Says the old stinky miner.

Dude, you're done.
Quality post.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by tab420:
Bird forum. Says the old stinky miner.

Dude, you're done.
Quality post.

48 hour holiday. For the rest of us.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
Originally posted by TXHawk:
Originally posted by BobS:
You sound like some High School kid who thinks 25 years ago was the stone age. The big evolution is mostly in the rules to favor the offense. Bigger, stronger, faster since 1989? Negligible, that extra 20 pounds in the trenches is mostly fat, look at the gut of the average lineman now compared to 25 years ago. The all time fastest 40 yard dash at the combine was run by Bo Jackson who played in the 1980's. Also there was no salary cap in 1989 teams did exist that were solid top to bottom. The weight room and training methods aren't really much different now as they were back then. Steroids and both illegal and legal supplements became common place with the popularity of bodybuilding 10 years prior in the late 70's. If you are looking for the dark ages where players were way smaller, slower, and weaker you have to go back a lot further than 25 years.

Quoting Bo Jackson's 40 record might be a useful counterargument if I was claiming that all modern football players are bigger, stronger, and faster than all players from the '80s, which would be silly. Just as silly as claiming that the extra 20 or 30 pounds in the trenches is mostly fat. If there really was an advantage in having 275 lb linemen as opposed to 310 lb linemen don't you think NFL teams would be going that direction?

And compare Olympic records from the '80s to today if you think there has been little change in athletic performance in the last 25 years. Or is football the only sport where athletic advancement has remained static?
Professional athletes were not allowed in the Olympics in the late 80's makes a big difference when an athlete can train 24-7 instead of having to work a full time job to support himself. Sprinters aren't going that much faster as a whole it is just because of one freak in the bunch who usually ends up testing dirty down the road. You really can't gauge elite speed by one guy who is far better than everyone else. If you throw out the runaway winners maybe the average 100 meter time is down a tenth of a second in the last 25 years in the Olympic finals that isn't a lot and how do you know it isn't because indoor tracks aren't faster than they used to be? As for strength the strongest weightlifter in the 1988 Olympics had a personal best that exceeds the current Olympic record. Olympic weightlifting records before 2000 are not kept because that is when they re-aligned the weight classes. The shot put and hammer throw Olympic records were set in 1988. Bob Beamon's long jump record was set in 1968. Contests of strength, sprint speed and jumping are pretty much the only one's that measure skills needed for the NFL.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i do think its pathetic that hawk fans still chatting it up here. i guess the ones who were here before the playoffs or whatever. but the newbs signing up? get outta here, you arent going to get any respect and nobody really wants to chat with you. you should be over at your board celebrating your title win. we're not going to agree with you about the greatness of your team, yeah you're good but we're right there too. we dont care about average margin of your wins at home vs ours and all that other s**t. you're here to pump your chests out whether its in a aggressive way or in a subtle way.

I think I've been here before playoffs. But anyway...

Here are my thoughts regarding this debate:

Different rules, different era of athlete, different situation (salary cap). These are unfair comparisons. People on MMA forums love to do that whole Bruce Lee vs Aldo/GSP thing too, which are also unfair for similar reasons. Heck it can be said that part of the success from teams/athletes of today, were from watching tapes/video from teams/athletes in the past.

If those Niner teams played with today's rules, and those athletes had today's type of medicine/training/equipment perhaps they would be even better than we remember. Yet if the 2013 Hawks team had no salary cap with Paul Allen's money, got to play with the rules from back then where you could just DESTROY opposing players. This Hawk defense would look even scarier. So really, I just don't think it's a fair comparison to make in general. We all love to try and do it, but there's a reason why you always have people on both sides of the fence, it's just a silly comparison to make in general.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by tab420:
Bird forum. Says the old stinky miner.

Dude, you're done.
Quality post.

48 hour holiday. For the rest of us.

Joy to the world!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Joy to the world!

I think the media is quick to label teams or crown them based on numbers only. Yes the Broncos broke all the offense records this year but you have to look into the defenses they played and slow it down until they can prove it against the elite teams. So if you label a team the best offense ever and their dominated in the super bowl the media has to save face and claim Seattle one of, if not the best defense to ever play in the super bowl. What Seattle did was very impressive and I loved every minute of it but the truth is if Denver was in NFC west they wouldn't even had made the playoffs.
Originally posted by tab420:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Joy to the world!

I think the media is quick to label teams or crown them based on numbers only. Yes the Broncos broke all the offense records this year but you have to look into the defenses they played and slow it down until they can prove it against the elite teams. So if you label a team the best offense ever and their dominated in the super bowl the media has to save face and claim Seattle one of, if not the best defense to ever play in the super bowl. What Seattle did was very impressive and I loved every minute of it but the truth is if Denver was in NFC west they wouldn't even had made the playoffs.

the real truth is its not about what division they played in, its about what era they played in. cant touch the wr's, cant touch the qb, cant tackle like you used to etc. their O is good, but historically the best ever? nah not for me, its full of inflated statistics due to how the game has changed.
Exactly. That's why the numbers don't always tell the true story. Could you imagine playing a W.R like Rice tight and within 5. Even back when they could play 3-5 yards off and bump for other 5 they couldn't contain. That being said couldn't you also say that a big aggressive defense like Seattle's would be much better due to there ability to be even more physical?
[ Edited by tab420 on Feb 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by tab420:
Exactly. That's why the numbers don't always tell the true story. Could you imagine playing a W.R like Rice tight and within 5. Even back when they could play 3-5 yards off and bump for other 5 they couldn't contain. That being said couldn't you also say that a big aggressive defense like Seattle's would be much better due to there ability to be even more physical?

I am curious. Do you Seattle fans visit and post on NFL forums of all the other 31 teams?

Or is it just 49er forums?
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:28 PM ]
Originally posted by tab420:
Exactly. That's why the numbers don't always tell the true story. Could you imagine playing a W.R like Rice tight and within 5. Even back when they could play 3-5 yards off and bump for other 5 they couldn't contain. That being said couldn't you also say that a big aggressive defense like Seattle's would be much better due to there ability to be even more physical?

I post on all NFC west. But I like the football knowledge of some of the old school 9er fans on this site. I said some....lol. Football and cage fighting are the only two sports I really follow so when the seasons over and no fights on I like to talk football.
[ Edited by tab420 on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:43 PM ]
Originally posted by tab420:
Originally posted by tab420:
Exactly. That's why the numbers don't always tell the true story. Could you imagine playing a W.R like Rice tight and within 5. Even back when they could play 3-5 yards off and bump for other 5 they couldn't contain. That being said couldn't you also say that a big aggressive defense like Seattle's would be much better due to there ability to be even more physical?

I post on all. But I like the football knowledge of some of the old school 9er fans on this site. I said some....lol. Football and cage fighting are the only two sports I really follow so when the seasons over and no fights on I like to talk football.

You like to talk football with old 9er fans? Interesting that you just joined up recently. Why didn't you want to talk football with us before your seahawks won the superbowl?
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM ]