There are 334 users in the forums

Superbowl Vet: Seahawks Defense would have dominated any offense in NFL history

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Seattle is a real buzz saw. There is massive homerism on this board because people want to believe we are the best. But we are more the Eagles. NFC Championship loser for many years. When they win multiple titles and block us many years you will realize they are the new dynasty (Seahawks). 90's Cowbows. 2000's Patriots. 2010's Seahawks. Unfortunately they are what we want to be and wish we were. They are just better, bigger, younger, faster and rougher and more physical. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they win more Championships.

Is this a serious post?
Don't forget we were one bad call away from having that NFC game be in SF.
There are SO many ifs that would have changed the outcome of the NFC game. Imagine if we had Crabs the whole season?
We are not the Eagles, we are not the second best team in the NFL.
Next season, when Crab and Kap play their first full season together you will see what I mean.
Originally posted by TXHawk:
Originally posted by English:
We are just talking about the late 80's O. None of the skill players would have had any problems adjusting. Regarding the line, you leave out one important point. Which rules will they be playing by? Joe Montana gets today's qb protection and he kills anybody. But if the eighties line was allowed to block the way they blocked back then, the Seattle D line would not last a game.

Either way, the Seattle D loses.

Manning was under pressure the entire game under today's rules behind a line that averaged 317 lbs so I'm not sure why you think Montana would have more time behind a line that averaged 281 lbs. And Montana never faced a defense with the kind of team speed that the Seahawks have simply because there were no defenses in the '80's with that kind of speed. Even the Jaguars have more size and speed than anyone the 49ers faced in 1989 because players are simply bigger, stronger, and faster today than they were back then.

You missed the point. Completely, as a matter of fact. Even in the 80's the 49ers O line were considered undersized. But they turned that weakness into a strength. Sheer size is only an advantage until someone like Bobb McKittrick comes along and works out how to exploit it.

And with a highly mobile qb, two of the best downfield receivers ever, and a running back, a fullback and a tight end all highly proficient and blocking and all superb outlet receivers, this was the best O. Ever.

Anyway, enough. Move on.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Is this a serious post?
There are SO many ifs that would have changed the outcome of the NFC game. Imagine if we had Crabs the whole season?
Next season, when Crab and Kap play their first full season together you will see what I mean.
There was a few bad calls that cost Seattle the Arizona game and a few that could have gone the other way when Seattle lost in San Fran. I think if Drew wouldn't have been helped down by his neck at the end of the play it wouldn't have been called.
Originally posted by English:
You missed the point. Completely, as a matter of fact. Even in the 80's the 49ers O line were considered undersized. But they turned that weakness into a strength. Sheer size is only an advantage until someone like Bobb McKittrick comes along and works out how to exploit it.

And with a highly mobile qb, two of the best downfield receivers ever, and a running back, a fullback and a tight end all highly proficient and blocking and all superb outlet receivers, this was the best O. Ever.

Anyway, enough. Move on.

You're measuring their performance against the smaller and generally slower and less athletic defensive linemen of the '80s which means you missed MY point entirely.
Is this a serious post?

Imagine if the Seahawks had Harvin for the full season. Or if the Seahawks had made that field goal to make it 15-0 against the Colts instead of having it blocked and returned for a TD to let the Colts get back into the game. Or if the Seahawks hadn't given up that 50 yard run to Gore. Or if two of the Niners' fumbles in the NFCCG hadn't bounced right to a 49ers player when the Hawks had the numbers advantage to make the recovery.

Every team has injuries and woulda, coulda, shouldas that might have turned games in their favor. You are what your record says you are.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/02/05/cbs-tasker-seahawks-would-have-dominated-in-qb-in-nfl-history/

LOL is this guy on crack? Those niner teams from the 80s would have dismantled this Seahawks team. Colin Kaepernick was nearly a foot away from beating this Seahawks team in Seattle. Joe Montana is about 1000 times better than Kap. The 1989 49er team would beat any team in the history of the game. We dominated every opponent and won 55-10 against Elway in the superbowl. Sherman would have none chance of covering Rice. You got the greatest QB, WR, and Safety of all time on that team. Seahawks offense might not even score on that 89 SF defense. It would be a major ass kicking.

You can't compare teams from even 25 years ago to modern day teams because the game has evolved too much. Players today are bigger, stronger, and faster and offensive and defensive schemes are more sophisticated. The '89 49ers would give up an average of about 20-30 lbs in the trenches and would lack the overall team speed of modern NFL teams, especially a team like the Seahawks where even the linebackers have 4.5 speed. Individual players like Montana, Rice, and Lott could play in any era but if you could transport the entire team to the modern era it would have a very hard time matching up physically in today's NFL, much less dominating the 2013 Seattle Seahawks.
You sound like some High School kid who thinks 25 years ago was the stone age. The big evolution is mostly in the rules to favor the offense. Bigger, stronger, faster since 1989? Negligible, that extra 20 pounds in the trenches is mostly fat, look at the gut of the average lineman now compared to 25 years ago. The all time fastest 40 yard dash at the combine was run by Bo Jackson who played in the 1980's. Also there was no salary cap in 1989 teams did exist that were solid top to bottom. The weight room and training methods aren't really much different now as they were back then. Steroids and both illegal and legal supplements became common place with the popularity of bodybuilding 10 years prior in the late 70's. If you are looking for the dark ages where players were way smaller, slower, and weaker you have to go back a lot further than 25 years.
My inbox is getting trolled by pissed off SEA fans....

lol

Smile guys. Taste the rainbow. lol
Originally posted by tab420:
Is this a serious post?
There was a few bad calls that cost Seattle the Arizona game and a few that could have gone the other way when Seattle lost in San Fran. I think if Drew wouldn't have been helped down by his neck at the end of the play it wouldn't have been called.

Hey that is great insight if I actually cared about the Seahawks season, why are you even here?
Your team just won a superbowl, i know this might sound a little cliche but "act like you've been there before" (keep forgetting that you haven't).

Wasn't hit in the neck, but thanks for trying.
Originally posted by BobS:
You sound like some High School kid who thinks 25 years ago was the stone age. The big evolution is mostly in the rules to favor the offense. Bigger, stronger, faster since 1989? Negligible, that extra 20 pounds in the trenches is mostly fat, look at the gut of the average lineman now compared to 25 years ago. The all time fastest 40 yard dash at the combine was run by Bo Jackson who played in the 1980's. Also there was no salary cap in 1989 teams did exist that were solid top to bottom. The weight room and training methods aren't really much different now as they were back then. Steroids and both illegal and legal supplements became common place with the popularity of bodybuilding 10 years prior in the late 70's. If you are looking for the dark ages where players were way smaller, slower, and weaker you have to go back a lot further than 25 years.

Quoting Bo Jackson's 40 record might be a useful counterargument if I was claiming that all modern football players are bigger, stronger, and faster than all players from the '80s, which would be silly. Just as silly as claiming that the extra 20 or 30 pounds in the trenches is mostly fat. If there really was an advantage in having 275 lb linemen as opposed to 310 lb linemen don't you think NFL teams would be going that direction?

And compare Olympic records from the '80s to today if you think there has been little change in athletic performance in the last 25 years. Or is football the only sport where athletic advancement has remained static?
Is this a serious post?

Imagine if the Seahawks had Harvin for the full season. Or if the Seahawks had made that field goal to make it 15-0 against the Colts instead of having it blocked and returned for a TD to let the Colts get back into the game. Or if the Seahawks hadn't given up that 50 yard run to Gore. Or if two of the Niners' fumbles in the NFCCG hadn't bounced right to a 49ers player when the Hawks had the numbers advantage to make the recovery.

Every team has injuries and woulda, coulda, shouldas that might have turned games in their favor. You are what your record says you are.

You gave me examples of Seahawk events that are in their control.
I'm specifically talking about things out of the niner's control such as injuries and officiating.

You are what your record says you are
Are you referring to our record of 5-1 and yours of 1-1?

Hey that is great insight if I actually cared about the Seahawks season, why are you even here?
Your team just won a superbowl, i know this might sound a little cliche but "act like you've been there before" (keep forgetting that you haven't).

Wasn't hit in the neck, but thanks for trying.

Because its a NFL section. You want everyone to agree with you keep it in the Niners section....And cliche isn't the only way you sound when you try to proof your reasoning by ending your statement with "thanks for tyring" you sound like a joke or a 80's game show host. Whats next "winning" And if you didn't care why did you respond?
Because its a NFL section. You want everyone to agree with you keep it in the Niners section....And cliche isn't the only way you sound when you try to proof your reasoning by ending your statement with "thanks for tyring" you sound like a joke or a 80's game show host. Whats next "winning" And if you didn't care why did you respond?

Keep it in the Niners section?
Whats the website URL to this forum?

I'm not here to critique how we sound, I'm here to talk Niners football, like I said I honestly don't care about that one and done team up north. Don't they have their own forums or is that something that their brand new fan-base is still building?

Like I said, next year is our year. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted
In my opinion this year was the weakest AFC team to make a superbowl in the history of the game.

I'm not here to critique how we sound, I'm here to talk Niners football, like I said I honestly don't care about that one and done team up north. Don't they have their own forums or is that something that their brand new fan-base is still building?

In my opinion this year was the weakest AFC team to make a superbowl in the history of the game.

You respond a lot for someone who keeps saying they don't care. You don't have a next year the 49'ers do. Theirs no you on the team.

You respond a lot for someone who keeps saying they don't care. You don't have a next year the 49'ers do. Theirs no you on the team.

our left guard disagrees
Share 49ersWebzone