Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Superbowl Vet: Seahawks Defense would have dominated any offense in NFL history

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Talking about defense, our dynasty d never gets the respect it deserves. If you bookend the championships here where the dynasty year team profiles based on scoring:
1981- 7th offense, 2nd defense
1982- 7th offense, 23rd defense
1983- 4th offense, 4th defense
1984- 2nd offense, 1st defense
1985- 5th offense, 2nd defense
1986- 7th offense, 3rd defense
1987- 1st offense, 3rd defense
1988- 7th offense, 8th defense
1989- 1st offense, 3rd defense
1990- 8th offense, 2nd defense
1991- 3rd offense, 4th defense
1992- 1st offense, 3rd defense
1993- 1st offense, 16th defense
1994- 1st offense, 6th defense

So in a 14 year period, they had a top 5 offense nine times and a top 10 offense all fourteen years. Defensively they were top 5 ten times and top 10 twelve times. It really is ashamed how overlooked the dynasty defense is, cause that track record could be put up against all the named defenses.
I am aware that the defense was as high ranked as the offense in the dynasty years. Unfortunately defenses usually only get credit when they are carrying a below average offense. That really isn't fair because I don't think I have ever seen a team with a poor defense win anything no matter how good the offense is, by poor defense I mean bottom 10. I wonder what the best any NFL team has done with a low rated defense?

I looked back in the last ten years and I found the following Super Bowl winning teams:

2011 giants- 9th offense, 25th defense
2007 giants- 14th offense, 17th defense
2006 colts- 2nd offense, 23rd defense

To your point tho, teams like this would have struggled to make the playoffs let alone win the title. The current environment of the nfl has allowed partial teams to thrive, by getting hot at the right time.
The first year of the salary cap was 1994 but It is pretty common knowledge the caps effect was not felt till the next season, your 3 teams listed above did got hot at the right time especially the 2006 Colts defense. It would be interesting to compare the offense-defense ranking of Super Bowl winners in the pre cap era to the post cap era. Pretty sure it is very rare to be top 5 on both sides of the ball in the last 20 years.
Originally posted by Raul98:
A better question is could the Denver offense beat any ones defense in the Super Bowl they looked terrible not sharp at all who knows how much of it was the Seattle D or just how bad Denver was un prepared and didn't show up.

No one really knows since Cheattle was illegally enhanced so who knows how Denver could have done if their opponent was clean.
Originally posted by robniner:
No one really knows since Cheattle was illegally enhanced so who knows how Denver could have done if their opponent was clean.

Do you ever add any substance to a conversation? You just keep repeating the same stuff.
The pre cap era I'm gonna call 1966-95. During that time, there were only two times when a team won a title with an offense outside the top 10. In that same time frame there were only three times a time with a defense outside the top 10 won, oddly enough it was all three raider title teams. Now for 1996-present, seven teams have won with an offense outside the top ten. Defensively there have been five teams outside the top 10 to win a title.

During the 1966-95 era, there were 15 teams that had both a top 5 offense and defense. 1996-present there has only been three teams (96GB, 99Stl, 04pats)with a top 5 in both, and honestly I really consider the 1996 pack more of a pre cap team. The worst offense to when a title was the 2008 steelers at rank 20th. The worst defense was the 2011 giants with a 25 rank.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:

Do you ever add any substance to a conversation? You just keep repeating the same stuff.

GTFO, Cheattle fan.

Your kind is not welcomed here.

Why do you give a s**t? This is niner forum. Get over it.

GTFO, Cheattle fan.

Your kind is not welcomed here.

So I suppose that is a no.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
League assistance

Short and simple "League assistance"... I like it!

Paul Allen = paid refs

Don't forget Paul Allen's relationship with FOX Sports.

... not just another conspiracy theory either
A better question is could the Denver offense beat any ones defense in the Super Bowl they looked terrible not sharp at all who knows how much of it was the Seattle D or just how bad Denver was un prepared and didn't show up.

Beat me to it, I thought the same exact thing. That offense just looked awful, and it wasn't because of cheathawks defense. Actually, broncos looked awful on all 3 facets, offense, defense, special teams. Now broncos are on the garbage side of the 2 biggest blowouts in Super Bowl history.
It's simple really;

It's a passing league. Seahawks defense was built to defend the pass.

MANNING AND HIS COCKY WAYS ONLY RAN THE DRAW PLAY

The reason we are so successful against the Seahawks is because we run the ball be it Keapernick or Gore.
Manning and that loud crowd was only passing and by the time they did decide to run, they were down two scores.

If Kaepernick , with two timeouts , on their nine yardline with 30 someodd seconds left ,runs it in or throws the screen to Patton, the whole mysticism and b.s. of the Seahawks defense is debunked,but I digress.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Beat me to it, I thought the same exact thing. That offense just looked awful, and it wasn't because of cheathawks defense. Actually, broncos looked awful on all 3 facets, offense, defense, special teams. Now broncos are on the garbage side of the 2 biggest blowouts in Super Bowl history.
I don't know if unprepared is the proper word. I think they under estimated the speed of the Seattle linebackers, and the crowd noise. It was noisy when both teams had the ball which hurts Manning worse with all his audibles and instructions he shouts at the line of scrimmage. Manning never was very mobile but at 37 and a fused neck he has to be by far the most immobile QB in the NFL. He also seems to have lost arm strength from early in the season the few deep passes he threw were wobbly floaters. The surgery he had can degenerate and lead to permanent nerve damage, nerve damage equals muscle weakness. With immobility and a weak arm that couldn't stretch the defense Manning was the last guy you would want against the Seahawks. Kap did way more damage to the Seahawks because his mobility and running opened things up. All things considered I was shocked at how bad they made Manning look.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There's so much b******t going on but when you think about it, a single call could have changed the outlook of the entire season.

If that's a sack and a fumble recovery as it should have been, 49ers win, 49ers end up winning homefield, the road to the Superbowl goes through San Francisco and we have a whole different storyline on our hands. THAT is how close it was.

F***in A Phoenix!!!!.......F***in A!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There's so much b******t going on but when you think about it, a single call could have changed the outlook of the entire season.

If that's a sack and a fumble recovery as it should have been, 49ers win, 49ers end up winning homefield, the road to the Superbowl goes through San Francisco and we have a whole different storyline on our hands. THAT is how close it was.

F***in A Phoenix!!!!.......F***in A!!!!

/thread
Give it a rest with the Brees roughing call video. Even watching slow motion replay that is a judgement call that could go either way he does end up with his arm around Brees's neck. You are not supposed to hit a defenseless player in the head or neck now a days, and a quarterback throwing from the pocket is considered a defenseless player.

Next time Brooks should just spear Brees in the helmet then. If you're gonna get a penalty, may as well earn it and benefit by knocking out their QB.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Give it a rest with the Brees roughing call video. Even watching slow motion replay that is a judgement call that could go either way he does end up with his arm around Brees's neck. You are not supposed to hit a defenseless player in the head or neck now a days, and a quarterback throwing from the pocket is considered a defenseless player.

Next time Brooks should just spear Brees in the helmet then. If you're gonna get a penalty, may as well earn it and benefit by knocking out their QB.

Any football coach will tell you as well as a friend of mine that is a football coach and a die hard Saints fan all in one that Brooks hit Brees the way you are taught to hit. You lead with the shoulder and not the head and you hit your target in the strike zone. Real time it looked like roughing the passer but in actuality Brooks hit Brees exactly the way you are taught and we got the short end of the stick. It is tough because the ref saw one thing but slo mo reveals another. A game of inches folk. We just have to be better next year. Another year of experience for Kap and we should be deeper at WR as well this year so that a freak Achilles to Crabtree and VD concussions won't cost us games vs IND CAR and NO where we have a stagnant offense with no relief in sight and maybe we get home field advantage this year