LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by baltien:

I'd like to see Kam try to cover Vernon deep one on one. But that won't happen, because we all know what the result would be.

I would love to see him try to cover VD deep too, it doesn't appear that it would ever happen though. For some reason there is this huge desire to run VD up Sherman's side of the field.

I'll admit it though, I don't agree with the comments that anyone could do what 31 does. He obviously has VD lined up in his sights, but the guy picked off Kaep twice in 2013, got another in the Super Bowl while pounding the religion out of the entire Denver WR core. To add to the Lore, it appears he did it while injured according to the news of his surgery that I heard today.

That guy is a baller. Roman should definitely try to get him in coverage against VD though rather than letting that guy just square him up. When Davis was drafted the last thing I ever expected was a safety to be able to knock him around.

You know, you might be on to something with getting 31 into coverage on either TE. I would like to see Q be part of that too. After seeing the VMac gif maybe it would be better to bring out the big bodies and run some dudes over. Sherman might be able to lay out a guy like Kyle Williams, but the TEs just run over the guy.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Teams will be gunning for them (target on their backs)... on the field, they will have casualties
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathmanator:

I'd like to see Kam try to cover Vernon deep one on one. But that won't happen, because we all know what the result would be.

I would love to see him try to cover VD deep too, it doesn't appear that it would ever happen though. For some reason there is this huge desire to run VD up Sherman's side of the field.

I'll admit it though, I don't agree with the comments that anyone could do what 31 does. He obviously has VD lined up in his sights, but the guy picked off Kaep twice in 2013, got another in the Super Bowl while pounding the religion out of the entire Denver WR core. To add to the Lore, it appears he did it while injured according to the news of his surgery that I heard today.

That guy is a baller. Roman should definitely try to get him in coverage against VD though rather than letting that guy just square him up. When Davis was drafted the last thing I ever expected was a safety to be able to knock him around.

You know, you might be on to something with getting 31 into coverage on either TE. I would like to see Q be part of that too. After seeing the VMac gif maybe it would be better to bring out the big bodies and run some dudes over. Sherman might be able to lay out a guy like Kyle Williams, but the TEs just run over the guy.

Tell that to Roman / Harbaugh. They might add that to their (Elite-College-Offense) playbook
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
That was Parys Haralson that got beat up by VD.

Well that's cool. Ahmad might be the better person to ask about it then
Originally posted by maltz88:
Hopefully not!

Actually, I thought the hit on him in the Championship game was pretty clean. He had his head to the side, and Davis got his head around took a step and even tried to avoid the contact at the last second. I don't think that was defenseless.

The play in Seattle the year before was kind of the text book definition of defenseless receiver. I thought he did get fined for that one though?

I think he did get fined but best I could tell, it was a clean hit. He was only flagged because, well, he knocked the sh*t out of Vernon Davis.

Though, we've seen PLENTY of BS flags thrown for the same reason (*cough* NFC Championship Game *cough*).

He was not fined for the hit: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/21464950/report-kam-chancellor-not-fined-for-hit-on-vernon-davis

It was a clean hit but just like in your game against NO the flags always fly as a message that those type of hits are frowned upon, especially to a QB and double for an elite QB like Brees. I would have been shocked if they didn't throw the flag on the Brees hit.
Originally posted by 12thfan:
He was not fined for the hit: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/21464950/report-kam-chancellor-not-fined-for-hit-on-vernon-davis

It was a clean hit but just like in your game against NO the flags always fly as a message that those type of hits are frowned upon, especially to a QB and double for an elite QB like Brees. I would have been shocked if they didn't throw the flag on the Brees hit.

Getting a concussion requires a head hit, you may think its clean but if they were going to throw the flag for the one on Brees (which is still debatable) they better have thrown one on this play.

I think you mean to refer to the hit Whitner layed on Willson that was flagged, no bad hit there yet you guys got awarded for a shoulder check.
Originally posted by 12thfan:

Guess what? I hope we knock the bejesus out of Brees multiple times each and every time we see them. Matter of fact, we play them in NOLA again and we are going to have Aldon and Brooks for that one and we are sure to blitz Bowman and Willis in there as well. I hope Fangio murders this guy flag or no flag. As long as we hit legal we hit hard I am cool. You don't want to play football then grab some pom poms!
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I agree here, Sherman is a great player.
I don't think that them signing him to a big contract is a mistake, but I do like that they are signing these young 1 year proven super-stars to major deals.
Who knows, maybe money was motivation?
All I know is that the more big deal contracts they have on defense, the less weapons they'll give to Wilson on offense.

How does multiple allpro years for each equate to one year proven superstar? Both have been at the elite level since hitting the field, behind good and bad front 7's.

Of course money is a motivator. It is for anyone but both have proven beyond a doubt they work their butt's off to be the best in the game and both right now are. If they can maintain their current pace they are both sure fire first ballot HOF players. You don't let guys like that walk or try and low ball them. Smart money is paying them their worth because they deserve it.

Personally I don't see a problem with either contract. With the way the salary cap is increasing over the next couple years it won't even be that long before neither is the top payed player at their position. We're getting them both locked up for the next 5 years at the beginning of the salary cap increase and others will want more because their is more to be had. Those contracts might look cheap in a couple years.

If you low ball them in a couple of years when lessor players are making more they may feel like they deserve more. Nothing good comes from that.
Seattle is going to regret tying up that much $$$$$ in two defensive backs.

Especially Thomas' contract. Why would you pay a safety that much? Good safeties can always be found in the draft for far less money. Safety is not a position you can spend a lot on in the salary cap era.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I'm pretty sure Ahmad wasn't on the team when Parys got punked, but your right I highly doubt VD is intimidated by Kam Chancellor in the least.

Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:

Especially Thomas' contract. Why would you pay a safety that much? Good safeties can always be found in the draft for far less money. Safety is not a position you can spend a lot on in the salary cap era.

When there are 32 teams you won't pick up a Thomas there often
Seahawks are f**ked
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:

When there are 32 teams you won't pick up a Thomas there often
??? The Thomas deal was a great deal for the front office, the Sherman deal not so much... All that was reported was how the players and front office secretly valued Thomas more..

Best part is the .nut dbags trying to spin spin spin... DRRRRRRR it only affects over 14 million worth of cap space one year, the rest are only around 13.5 after 2014..... HAHAH they are even saying they f'd the league over by forcing other teams to sign db's for 13-15 mil...
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Someone post Vance trucking Sherman gif

Thank you!
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

I'm pretty sure Ahmad wasn't on the team when Parys got punked, but your right I highly doubt VD is intimidated by Kam Chancellor in the least.

Yes and I think it may have been Brooks that got punked by Shaunte Spencer back when Sing was here. Somehow I got my sh** crossed up but I remember the old VD before Sing reformed him was a headbussa!
Share 49ersWebzone