There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Bennett has spoken. No discount for Seattle. This ain't Costco...lol
Originally posted by 4ML:
Bennett has spoken. No discount for Seattle. This ain't Costco...lol

well there was a discount, it was a 1 yr 5 mil deal last year. he had a good year in 2012 in tampa and was one of those under the radar free agent, he took less and bet on himself and won.
I think it will be very hard for them over the next 2 season to keep their roster in tact. Lot of guys have the ring now and will be looking to maximise their earnings.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Bennett has spoken. No discount for Seattle. This ain't Costco...lol

That was funny. He has a ring now. He's proven himself. Time to get paid. Would be hilarious if another NFC West team signed him away from Seattle.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think it will be very hard for them over the next 2 season to keep their roster in tact. Lot of guys have the ring now and will be looking to maximise their earnings.

This. It's hard to motivate guys to "come back for a chance at a ring" when you already have one. Plenty of guys will be looking to cash in, this team that they had this past season, is as deep as they will ever be, there's a lot of players that they simply won't be able to afford and their entire secondary has to get paid big bucks in the next year to 2 years.
The way you motivate guys to come back after they got a ring is with contract that are very cap friendly but front loaded in the way of signing bonuses. The core of the defense isn't really effected this year and Browner should stay for cheap coming off his suspension. Rumor is Harvin will restructure a lower contract with a bigger signing bonus and Rice and Miller will take a pay cut or be let go. Seattle has one of the best in the bizz when it comes to contracts so we will see what happens.
Originally posted by tab420:
The way you motivate guys to come back after they got a ring is with contract that are very cap friendly but front loaded in the way of signing bonuses. The core of the defense isn't really effected this year and Browner should stay for cheap coming off his suspension. Rumor is Harvin will restructure a lower contract with a bigger signing bonus and Rice and Miller will take a pay cut or be let go. Seattle has one of the best in the bizz when it comes to contracts so we will see what happens.

Same thing we've been doing, but even still, you can't hold onto everyone. Letting some guys go will be easy (Rice), but there are others where it will not be so easy to let them go, but it will happen nonetheless. We'll see which team has the most stars standing in 2016 lol.
This will be a transition year for the Seahawks cap wise. They'll probably lose some depth on their D-line and I'll be surprised if Bennett stays. But next year is going to be a real challenge. Richard Sherman thinks he's better than Revis. What did Revis get on the open market. Unless Sherman takes some kind of dive and has a down year, he's going to break the bank next year. The Harvin deal is going to end up hurting the Seahawks. That's why teams like the Patriots, Packers and Niners just don't do those kind of desperation deals anymore. They don't make sense as a long term strategy.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by tab420:
The way you motivate guys to come back after they got a ring is with contract that are very cap friendly but front loaded in the way of signing bonuses. The core of the defense isn't really effected this year and Browner should stay for cheap coming off his suspension. Rumor is Harvin will restructure a lower contract with a bigger signing bonus and Rice and Miller will take a pay cut or be let go. Seattle has one of the best in the bizz when it comes to contracts so we will see what happens.

Same thing we've been doing, but even still, you can't hold onto everyone. Letting some guys go will be easy (Rice), but there are others where it will not be so easy to let them go, but it will happen nonetheless. We'll see which team has the most stars standing in 2016 lol

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That was funny. He has a ring now. He's proven himself. Time to get paid. Would be hilarious if another NFC West team signed him away from Seattle.
He will not look as good as a every down player on a different defense. If Seattle wants him they can get him with a back loaded contract and a big signing bonus. The fact that he could be looking at surgery this off season might bring that 10 mil that he wants down a little.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Bennett has spoken. No discount for Seattle. This ain't Costco...lol

That was funny. He has a ring now. He's proven himself. Time to get paid. Would be hilarious if another NFC West team signed him away from Seattle.

Rumor is he wants $10M/year. I'd be glad to let the Niners have him for that kind of money.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Rumor is he wants $10M/year. I'd be glad to let the Niners have him for that kind of money.

Huh?????? We don't need him nor does he fit our 3-4 defense. You guys ran a 4-3 defense. It takes different skillsets. Our pass rushers are the outside linebackers. Bennett is no outside linebacker. He's a pure 4-3 defensive end.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Rumor is he wants $10M/year. I'd be glad to let the Niners have him for that kind of money.

Not sure you've noticed, but that's not really how the Niners operate these days.
I'm sure this has already been posted but they won't have cap issues until next season.
I'm excited for them to let Sherman test FA, go to another team, and then have him realize the ONLY reason he was good was because he played with Thomas/Chancellor.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I'm sure this has already been posted but they won't have cap issues until next season.
I'm excited for them to let Sherman test FA, go to another team, and then have him realize the ONLY reason he was good was because he played with Thomas/Chancellor.

It could be a Nnamdi replay.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I'm sure this has already been posted but they won't have cap issues until next season.
I'm excited for them to let Sherman test FA, go to another team, and then have him realize the ONLY reason he was good was because he played with Thomas/Chancellor.

Sherman's smart, I think he realizes this, hence why rants aside, he gives props to LOB and his guys up front. As a Hawk fan, I hope the main guys will take favorable deals to stay together. Where I do think the Hawks WILL suffer is the depth. I don't think the 2nd/3rd guys in line are nearly as committed to Legion of Boom as the core of that group (and Browner is already gone).