There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Originally posted by CharlieCobra:
While I know you guys don't want to hear this, Tate said he'd be happy to take less to stay. His words were "Why the hell would I want to go somewhere else"? I think this will happen with more than one of these guys.

Kap said something to that effect too. Part of me is encouraged by that kind of talk; part of me is extremely cynical about it.

Either way, I think the real pain for Seattle will be after the upcoming season.
While I know you guys don't want to hear this, Tate said he'd be happy to take less to stay. His words were "Why the hell would I want to go somewhere else"? I think this will happen with more than one of these guys.

It depends on the difference between what Seattle can afford and what they can get from a team with more cap freedom . . .(see Dashon Goldson). For guys who clearly out-performed their rookie contracts, their next contract will be their best opportunity to max out and set their family up for future generations. NFL careers are short. Gotta get paid.
While I agree with the "gotta get paid" part, perhaps taking 8 mil a year instead of 10 mil a year to stay on a winning program would work partly because endorsement deals go to winners and help offset the shortage. Michael Bennet is saying he does NOT want to go elsewhere. I reckon time will tell though.
I don't think that Tate won't turn down $2M/year to stay in Seattle; that hometown discount has to be a lot less than that for him (say $7.5M vs. $8M) to stay especially since this will be his first off-rookie contract. His priority will be to get paid.

They have a better chance of keeping Bennet. Sidney Rice ($9.7M cap hit), Chris Clemmons ($9.7M cap hit), Zach Miller ($7M cap hit) and Red Bryant ($8.5M cap hit) will all likely be cut or restructured to allow them to accommodate whatever moves they want to make going forward next year.
While I agree with the "gotta get paid" part, perhaps taking 8 mil a year instead of 10 mil a year to stay on a winning program would work partly because endorsement deals go to winners and help offset the shortage. Michael Bennet is saying he does NOT want to go elsewhere. I reckon time will tell though.

You realize that every free agent says that exact same thing... right? Every guy says something very similar along the lines of, "I love this team, this city and the fans and I want to play here.. but... I also understand it is a business." It is the perfect double-speak for free agents and I'm pretty sure their agents advise them to make that statement. Dashon Goldson said it when he was a FA... Whitner has said it during this season... Rogers said it after 2011. I'm just using these 9ers as examples but I hear the same thing from every "big" FA. They all want to stay and they all love the team and fans.. I just saw on NFL.com that Finley in GB is saying the same stuff but he is also saying that he won't do the home-team discount anymore after his neck-injury scare.

Well, maybe not all of them..haha. I'm forgetting about guys like Deion Sanders after 1994 and Albert Haynesworth who didn't really hide the fact that they wanted to get paid and they didn't really care who it was who paid them.. but those guys are the exception and not the rule.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Bennett has said he just wants to get paid. He would like Seattle to make that happen but if some other team is willing to pay him more - he will sign there.

With Sherman, Thomas, and Avril entering last year of their deals - I doubt they can keep this defense intact.

Tate, Thurmond, Browner are also hitting the free agency - ouch. Tate may say what he wants but after winning the Super Bowl - most of the guys will want to get paid.

IMO Bennett is the most important FA for Seattle this season and it will be tough to sign him. Then they need to extend Sherman and Thomas. I expect both to be highest paid at their positions.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Bennett has said he just wants to get paid. He would like Seattle to make that happen but if some other team is willing to pay him more - he will sign there.

With Sherman, Thomas, and Avril entering last year of their deals - I doubt they can keep this defense intact.

Tate, Thurmond, Browner are also hitting the free agency - ouch. Tate may say what he wants but after winning the Super Bowl - most of the guys will want to get paid.

IMO Bennett is the most important FA for Seattle this season and it will be tough to sign him. Then they need to extend Sherman and Thomas. I expect both to be highest paid at their positions.

hope his brother martellus can sway him over to the bears
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

There are too many teams with s**t load of cap room. I think guys who hit FA will get paid and teams with not enough cap room or team that wants to extend the young players on the roster will have a difficult time retaining them. Unless of course, a player is willing to take a decent pay cut. Bennett has made it clear that he already took a pay cut last two years and he wants to cash in. This is best chance to land a big contract...I highly doubt he's going to take much of a pay cut.

If Bennett wants to get paid in 8 figures...he'll get that money in FA. It won't be Seattle.

This is why - it's very important summer for us. We need to extend our young guys so they don't hit FA next summer.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

Kap said something to that effect too. Part of me is encouraged by that kind of talk; part of me is extremely cynical about it.

Either way, I think the real pain for Seattle will be after the upcoming season.

The players union won't like that kind of talk. They want to keep salaries high, or the going rate at least.
Originally posted by crabman82:

There are too many teams with s**t load of cap room. I think guys who hit FA will get paid and teams with not enough cap room or team that wants to extend the young players on the roster will have a difficult time retaining them. Unless of course, a player is willing to take a decent pay cut. Bennett has made it clear that he already took a pay cut last two years and he wants to cash in. This is best chance to land a big contract...I highly doubt he's going to take much of a pay cut.

If Bennett wants to get paid in 8 figures...he'll get that money in FA. It won't be Seattle.

This is why - it's very important summer for us. We need to extend our young guys so they don't hit FA next summer.

to me its all about whether he hits the market, if he does he is likely gone, there will be lots of attention for him. if seattle keeps him it would have to be a contract agreed upon before the start of FA, thats the only way i see them getting it done.
Lot of people asking if Seattle can keep their defense together and it's pretty obvious that they can't but don't think for a second that they don't already know that. They'll keep the guys that they can and continue to coach guys up through the draft.

Dynasties are dead, folks. They'll let guys go that want more than they can afford outside of their core players (and if your name is not Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas, they won't break the bank to keep them). Depth is a good thing in this league and they have a lot of it right now.
to think , Pete the Cheat was almost about to get the boot before that midget came into the fold.

Whens' Pete Carolines' contract up?
Stupid thread, every team has cap casualties every year.
Originally posted by kronik:
Stupid thread, every team has cap casualties every year.

yeah but now that they're a NFGoodell Super Bowl winning team, a basic guy on that defense will demand a plethora of money and will get it.

Is Russell Wilson really going to pitch for the Rangers? Maybe the A's or GIants can put a line drive in that dome.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
yeah but now that they're a NFGoodell Super Bowl winning team, a basic guy on that defense will demand a plethora of money and will get it.

Is Russell Wilson really going to pitch for the Rangers? Maybe the A's or GIants can put a line drive in that dome.

The only thing he might be "pitching" is a positive message about hard work and preparation (RW was a second baseman, not a pitcher)

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas-rangers/post/_/id/4908336/myrtle-beach-pelicans-luring-russell-wilson
How badly do the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the Class A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, want Russell Wilson to spend just one day with them?

The minor-league club is offering to contribute $20,000 to the charity of Wilson's choice and send Wilson and his wife on an all-inclusive vacation that includes golf and beach time if the quarterback and infielder will make an appearance at a game.

They don't expect him to actually play.

"But we'd love it if he would talk to our young players and maybe help us with a kids clinic and do a Q&A before one of the games so fans can get to know what's made him successful," said Andy Milovich, vice president and GM of the Pelicans.