LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Seattle will have cap casualties just like we will this year.

The only cap cas I could see us having (only if we want to go younger) is at safety with Whittner. Anyone else we can afford to keep.
Originally posted by dj43:
According to overthecap.com, they do not look like they have any big problems right now. For one thing, they will have roughly $8MILLION in dead money coming off the books next season.

Of their starters or those with frequent minutes, the most significant are:

Golden Tate - if he asks for too much they can let him walk. They have Sidney Rice coming back from injury and there is great depth in the draft upcoming.

Doug Baldwin - Worth more than Tate but not a lot more. (Wouldn't he be nice in a 49er uniform. He has hurt us in three games. Too bad Harbaugh didn't like.)

Steven Hauschka - one of the better kickers but a cap friendly deal should be possible.

Michael Bennett - part of the NASCAR DL rotation. They will do their best to re-sign him. He did a great job bringing edge pressure.

Tony McDaniel - another NASCAR member but not irreplaceable.

Clinton McDonald - see just above

Breno Giacomini - ordinary OT

Paul McQuiston - another ordinary OT

Michael Robinson - nice ST and FB that should not hurt the cap too much.

I am not looking for salary cap problems to bring them down.

This is all hinging on the notion that Sherman or Earl Thomas won't hold out. Whic they both would be fool (even more so with Sherman) playing another season for what they make now with no garuntee of another big deal if they get injured this year. Earl might wait until 2015 but Sherman will hold out for sure (if they don't pony up the money before hand of course).
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Seattle will have cap casualties just like we will this year.

There are always some cap casualties but the 49ers are going to have more casualties than Seattle. 49ers start with a somewhat smaller cap load than Seattle but Seahawks dump a lot more dead money going forward which will make it easier for them to sign their important FAs.

49ers FAs (these have been listed elsewhere but I'll do it here for comparison)

Boldin and Dawson should be priority re-signs.

Tarell Brown and Donte Whitner have big cap that will likely not fit under the cap. They will have to either re-negotiate or let go.

Jon Goodwin - may retire which would help. He won't fit under the cap unless he takes a big cut. Don't plan on it.

Anthony Dixon - Will be allowed to check the market.

Demarcus Dobbs - likely casualty

Manningham - likely injury settlement and release. 49ers need WRs badly but he isn't big and tough enough to compete against the Boom Boys.

Osgood - nice special teamer that may be too important there to release despite the fact he adds little to a weak WR group.

Colt McCoy - who knows. We need a better backup but McCoy may be the best we can afford.

The big challenge will be 2015. The upcoming draft will be crucial to how long this team can stay at the top. With the total wipe out of the 2012 draft, and 2013 still mostly unproven, the 49er depth will be challenged to replace Iupati (the most likely to be a cap casualty) and still maintain a decent OL. And this still doesn't deal with Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick.

The big key to the future, for many reasons, is Kaepernick. In terms of market value, a starting QB on a playoff team is worth $16-18MILLION/yr. Kaepernick clearly is not worth that at this point but the team needs him to improve to the level he would be worth that. OTOH, his agent has been reading all the press clippings and will demand something in the range of Matthew Stafford money ($18MILLION) if not more. How much KC gives Alex Smith in an extension will also play. Smith is easily worth Stafford money on the market although he may take less in order to resign some key players. However, if he does, it will be recognized for what it is and should not provide the 49ers with much leverage to hold Kaepernick's new deal low. It is a Catch-22. If he plays like some people feel he is capable, he will get a number that will send a number of 49ers into the market. If he doesn't play so well, he will get a lower number which will allow the team to keep a couple of players that would otherwise be cut.

Marathe has his work cut out for him.

Thanks for the info and reminder. I believe AB81 wrote something similar. If I remember, 2015 will be our big year as will Seattle when Thomas and Sherman are FAs for them.

I know many of us want Seattle's players to make a dash for the big bucks next year, but they will have basically the same team for the 2014 season as they had this year. I believe we will also have our key players for the 2014 season.
This year won't be that bad for Seattle, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think 2015 they're going to have to make some serious decisions with key players.
The salary cap is manipulated by every team. Back-loaded, front-loaded, rework deals, and lastly just cut the player and it no longer counts against the cap. It's as necessary to have a "numbers guy" in the front office as good GM. Seattle can solve any problem that arises and that problem solver is Paul Allen.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The salary cap is manipulated by every team. Back-loaded, front-loaded, rework deals, and lastly just cut the player and it no longer counts against the cap. It's as necessary to have a "numbers guy" in the front office as good GM. Seattle can solve any problem that arises and that problem solver is Paul Allen.

You obviously don't understand how the salary cap works. A. You just can't cut a guy and have that salary dispear, it's called a cap hit aka dead money. B. There are so many rules to the salary cap not just anyone who is good with numbers can come in and be a wiz at it, even Paul Allen. C. They won a super bowl, there will be no front loading, side loading, down loading... none of that they have to straight up pay these guys like Sherman, Wilson, Thomas, etc.
We could have had him for Undrafted Rookie money. Another reason I question Harbaugh's judgement on receivers. He has killed the 49ers in the past three years. Even as a rookie he reeled off a big gain that cost us a win, IIRC.

Did he come out in 2011? If so, we didn't lose to SEA in 2011
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
You obviously don't understand how the salary cap works. A. You just can't cut a guy and have that salary dispear, it's called a cap hit aka dead money. B. There are so many rules to the salary cap not just anyone who is good with numbers can come in and be a wiz at it, even Paul Allen. C. They won a super bowl, there will be no front loading, side loading, down loading... none of that they have to straight up pay these guys like Sherman, Wilson, Thomas, etc.

That pay comes in guaranteed money. There is much money in these deals that the player never sees.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Hawks fan chiming in here. There are definitely some big time choices coming towards the team. The biggest FA this year are Tate, Bennett, Mcquistan, Giacomini, Thurmond, Baldwin (RFA) and Hauschka. I believe they will re-sign Bennett as he plays one of the most important roles along the DL. The rest are a case of how much money do they want, determining where they end up.

Many Hawks fans believe Rice will be cut, saving $7m. Clemons is also a candidate who would save $7m. I'm not sure if they do though, he was recovering from his ACL this season and looked like he was getting back into form int he playoffs. Big Red is another guy who's making a lot of money, but might not be earning all of it and would save $6m. Zach Miller would save $4m but TE depth is already a concern.

Those are the big issues for 2014. In addition guys like Thomas, Sherman, Okung, Maxwell, Smith, Wright are all eligible for contract talks. I have no idea what the front office is going to do, but they say they've been planning for all of this.
Originally posted by JoRo:
Hawks fan chiming in here. There are definitely some big time choices coming towards the team. The biggest FA this year are Tate, Bennett, Mcquistan, Giacomini, Thurmond, Baldwin (RFA) and Hauschka. I believe they will re-sign Bennett as he plays one of the most important roles along the DL. The rest are a case of how much money do they want, determining where they end up.

Many Hawks fans believe Rice will be cut, saving $7m. Clemons is also a candidate who would save $7m. I'm not sure if they do though, he was recovering from his ACL this season and looked like he was getting back into form int he playoffs. Big Red is another guy who's making a lot of money, but might not be earning all of it and would save $6m. Zach Miller would save $4m but TE depth is already a concern.

Those are the big issues for 2014. In addition guys like Thomas, Sherman, Okung, Maxwell, Smith, Wright are all eligible for contract talks. I have no idea what the front office is going to do, but they say they've been planning for all of this.

So basically to keep your core guys you have to gut the dline. I'm fine with that,

Hypothetical situation here but..... If Harvin did not have the explosive game he had yesterday would the Hawks be willing to throw some extra $$ @ Tate? Surely it doesn't matter now, but just some food for thought.
They will lose some guys, like all good teams. Can't give everyone a pay raise. Tate looks expendable. They will have Harvin-Baldwin-Kearse for next year. Sydney Rice and Zach Miller will likely have to take big pay cuts, or be released. Red Bryant also has a very high cap figure, might have to restructure. Other than that they look to be in good shape. Re-signing Michael Bennett is a must for them.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM ]
More importantly, will they lose a coord...or both?
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by JoRo:

So basically to keep your core guys you have to gut the dline. I'm fine with that,

That reminds me, Mcdaniel and Mcdonald are both FA also. Even more incentive to re-sign Bennett.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The real problems they face will be in 2-3 years. You think their Superbowl winning QB might want a raise from his 3rd round pick money? Their pass rushers and LB's will get offers. Teams love to poach off of Superbowl winners. Guys in the secondary like Chancellor and Sherman will fetch huge paydays. Marshawn Lynch? The list goes on.

They were flying under the radar but now everybody knows how good their players are. It won't effect them this year but the following year on it will effect them greatly.

This. Seattle looks to still be as unbeatable next year with all of their bargain-basement deals on All-Pro players. I just can't belieeeve how little they're paying for Wilson, Sherman, and Thomas III right now...sick...
Share 49ersWebzone