LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TopNotchPLYR:
Originally posted by matt49er:
I don't understand everybody saying the 49ers have trouble with age, I'm not even going to go through and look up actual ages of players but let's go position by position and just label players young or old.

QB: Kaep-young, Gabbert-young
RB: Gore-old, Lattimore-young, LMJ-young, Hunter-young
FB: Miller-young
TE: VD-young (prime), McDonald-young
WR: Crabs-young, Boldin -old, Patton-young
OL: Kilgore-young, Davis-young, Boone-young, Iupati-young, Staley-young (prime), Looney-young

DE: Smith-old, McDonald-old, Tank-young, TJE-young, Dobbs-young,
NT: Dorsey-young (prime), Williams-young, Dial-young
ILB: Bowman-young, Willis -young (prime), Moody-young, Wilholte-young
OLB: A.Smith-young, Brooks-young (prime), Skuta-old (borderline), Lemonier-young
CB: Brock-young, Culliver-young, Wright-young, Morris-young, Cook-young
S: Reid-young, Bethea-old (borderline prime),
K-Dawson-old
P-Lee-old (borderline prime)

seriously way more young/players in their prime than there is old players. In spots where we have old guys (other than kickers) we have young replacements lined up.

None of those players have really proved to be difference makers. Kaepernick in the open field is field tilter. Reid "could" be a game changer but I haven't seen anything yet besides being a solid role player that you would want to walk when he signs contract too rich to hang onto due to being part of a great defense. Willis is not the HOF LB he used to be which was the centerpiece of their defense. Yes, he's going to the HOF for SURE but because of the way he used to be. He is still elite though (as of last year, is that going to hold true next year?) so yes he is a field tilter. Bowman is also sick and if he comes back 100%+ he will be in that category too. So would be Staley. The word around here is that Iupati will walk. Aldon Smith can't be in this category yet because he rushes with his head down most of the time, leading to average to below-average edge containment and average run defense. He did show steps to improve that.

So we got Staley, Willis, and Bowman as young game changers that are in the long term plans. However, from the eye test I see Willis noticeably declining (review the NFCCG, esp Lynch's long run), Bowman was hurt pretty bad, hopefully he comes back fine but I'd say it's fair to throw that into the "age" category at least this offseason. Staley doesn't really play at a prime field tilting position, especially considering Kaepernick's throwing is not his strong suit. So essentially we have Kaepernick's running ability and Willis and Bowman, and that's exactly how the NFCCG played out. Strong defense which was strongest in the middle but gave up a key game changing play, and Kaepernick running around everywhere. I think Seattle will solve Kaepernick this year (Irvin on one side with contain and K.J. Wright/Thomas on the other side is my guess). So all you got in terms of game changers are pre-draft heading forward is Willis and Bowman. 9-7.

Reid made the pro bowl and was a big upgrade over Dashon Goldson who got over $8M/year, he's no Earl Thomas I'll give you that but he's a very good safety.

Your comments on Willis are just ignorant. With Bowman around he's asked to cover a lot more, he's still one of the very best LBs in the NFL and if you don't see that you are frankly a fool.

Aldon Smith is as good as it gets as a pass rusher, his main job, he's also very very good at containing the edge. He's not Ahamd Brooks good yet but again, your comments just highlight that your knowledge of the 49ers is very limited.

Staley not playing a prime position? Anyone that knows absolutely anything about football knows LT is very important position, again you show little to no football knowledge.

The 49ers are set up to succeed in the long term, I think Seattle could be also despite losing a bunch of quality players to FA this off season. I know the Niners/Hawks are rivals, a smart football fan or to put it bluntly, someone who is not a troll can admit that instead of pretending the team they do not root for isn't one of the best teams in football.

Just in case you're having trouble digesting my post I'll break it down for you here. Your post made you look like a fool man.
The "average age" drags down the 49ers due to veteran players like Lee, Dawson, Smith, Goodwin, and Rogers. With Goodwin and Rogers gone, we just have age at two positions where age doesn't matter, and one where age isn't a significant after until 5 years after the NFL average (though, Justin Smith is definitely both old and on the decline. One good year left.)

So we're younger this year than last, and we're still young at almost every position. I ain't worried about context-less stats like "average age".
I don't understand everybody saying the 49ers have trouble with age, I'm not even going to go through and look up actual ages of players but let's go position by position and just label players young or old.

OL: Kilgore-young, Davis-young, Boone-young, Iupati-young, Staley-young (prime), Looney-young

OLB: A.Smith-young, Brooks-young (prime), Skuta-old (borderline), Lemonier-young
K-Dawson-old

seriously way more young/players in their prime than there is old players. In spots where we have old guys (other than kickers) we have young replacements lined up.

None of those players have really proved to be difference makers. Kaepernick in the open field is field tilter. Reid "could" be a game changer but I haven't seen anything yet besides being a solid role player that you would want to walk when he signs contract too rich to hang onto due to being part of a great defense. Willis is not the HOF LB he used to be which was the centerpiece of their defense. Yes, he's going to the HOF for SURE but because of the way he used to be. He is still elite though (as of last year, is that going to hold true next year?) so yes he is a field tilter. Bowman is also sick and if he comes back 100%+ he will be in that category too. So would be Staley. The word around here is that Iupati will walk. Aldon Smith can't be in this category yet because he rushes with his head down most of the time, leading to average to below-average edge containment and average run defense. He did show steps to improve that.

So we got Staley, Willis, and Bowman as young game changers that are in the long term plans. However, from the eye test I see Willis noticeably declining (review the NFCCG, esp Lynch's long run), Bowman was hurt pretty bad, hopefully he comes back fine but I'd say it's fair to throw that into the "age" category at least this offseason. Staley doesn't really play at a prime field tilting position, especially considering Kaepernick's throwing is not his strong suit. So essentially we have Kaepernick's running ability and Willis and Bowman, and that's exactly how the NFCCG played out. Strong defense which was strongest in the middle but gave up a key game changing play, and Kaepernick running around everywhere. I think Seattle will solve Kaepernick this year (Irvin on one side with contain and K.J. Wright/Thomas on the other side is my guess). So all you got in terms of game changers are pre-draft heading forward is Willis and Bowman. 9-7.

Reid made the pro bowl and was a big upgrade over Dashon Goldson who got over $8M/year, he's no Earl Thomas I'll give you that but he's a very good safety.

Your comments on Willis are just ignorant. With Bowman around he's asked to cover a lot more, he's still one of the very best LBs in the NFL and if you don't see that you are frankly a fool.

Aldon Smith is as good as it gets as a pass rusher, his main job, he's also very very good at containing the edge. He's not Ahamd Brooks good yet but again, your comments just highlight that your knowledge of the 49ers is very limited.

Staley not playing a prime position? Anyone that knows absolutely anything about football knows LT is very important position, again you show little to no football knowledge.

The 49ers are set up to succeed in the long term, I think Seattle could be also despite losing a bunch of quality players to FA this off season. I know the Niners/Hawks are rivals, a smart football fan or to put it bluntly, someone who is not a troll can admit that instead of pretending the team they do not root for isn't one of the best teams in football.

Just in case you're having trouble digesting my post I'll break it down for you here. Your post made you look like a fool man.

This. Eric Reid is a stud. Aldon is a hall of famer, and the LT is one of the highest paid most important position on the field. If he can somehow find a SEADDERAL fan with some knowledge, even they will agree that was a terrible, unintelligent post.

We need to send this movie to him to learn the basics.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You have a better grasp of the game than the typical Seahawk poster here, but the message is the same. Team wins one Super Bowl, winning a close game against us at home, and suddenly teams must hope for the Seahawks to face a rash of injuries to have a HOPE of beating them. Never mind that Hawk fans were deeply worried about the NFCCG (I live in Seattle, so don't try to deny it), and that you only had home field advantage because you narrowly squeaked past some garbage teams.

McDonald and Bryant were real losses. Don't want to admit it, that's fine. Clemons is superior to Avril as an overall player, and he gave our All Pro LT a hard time, while Avril found success against our far less impressive RT, and generally was not on the field for many run downs against us.

You degrade Kap's decision making, but fail to consider how many lucky breaks need to work out for Wilson's schoolyard-ball broken plays to both avoid disaster and result in large gains.

Basically, you brought your homer act to our site, and you threw a hint of intelligent discourse on top of it to try and disguise it. Cute trick.

Still waiting on a reply...
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
You can always tell which fans watch the games closely and which "fans" simply read analysis of players and teams online. Don't forget to re-up your ESPN Insider subscriptions, 12s.

Coincidentally I just met my first real-life Seahawk fan in the flesh two weeks ago. I find it funny that no matter where you find them, they all say exactly the same things about the 49ers ("Aren't you guys getting old?" And the typical "Man I remember that hit Kam put on Vernon Davis.")

Eventually, we end up talking about Seattle's 2005 Super Bowl run. I said that while Shaun Alexander got most of the credit, the Seahawks receivers weren't that bad either. I tell him "I remember you guys had some pretty good receivers too" and (playing stupid asked) "what were their names again?"

Blank. Stare.

Yet another 12th Man since 2012.
2011 was a "fluke" and defenses would have us figured out the next year.

2012 was a fluke because nobody had time to study Kap and the league, yet again, would have it all figured out the next year.

2013, despite down our best WR for most of the season, we came *this* close to the big dance (ripping off a five game and then eight game winning streak no less), yet again (again, really this time), defenses will "solve" us next year.

And the Seahawk excuse train rolls on.....
Originally posted by baltien:
Coincidentally I just met my first real-life Seahawk fan in the flesh two weeks ago. I find it funny that no matter where you find them, they all say exactly the same things about the 49ers ("Aren't you guys getting old?" And the typical "Man I remember that hit Kam put on Vernon Davis.")

Eventually, we end up talking about Seattle's 2005 Super Bowl run. I said that while Shaun Alexander got most of the credit, the Seahawks receivers weren't that bad either. I tell him "I remember you guys had some pretty good receivers too" and (playing stupid asked) "what were their names again?"

Blank. Stare.

Yet another 12th Man since 2012.

Lol - even I remember d-jack. when did we start to hear about this stupid 12 man (2.0) thing anyway?

Can't imagine pretending to be part of something so juvenile and contrived. Self gloss sucks....

K-Dawson-old

When it comes to speaking out of ones arse, you sir are a true field tilter.

This post is a great example of being able to type anything and pretend it's true. Reid made the new Jerry Rice voted pro bowl and all of a sudden he's a game changer? Lol, man you guys aren't good at this. Get back to me when he's an all-pro.

Willis? Yeah whatever I don't care that much, I said he's elite and if you feel the need to call someone a "fool" because I didn't suck his dick even more then bugger off. I was just trying to type stuff you guys might want to read, an analysis of a player from another persons point of view.

Did you read what I said about Staley or what? I said he is an elite player at a a prime position but not a game changer in the 49ers system because the 49ers aren't an adept passing team. You're really going to contend against that? Do you think the 49ers are not a running team? Do you really think you couldn't plug in any road grater to do his most of his job in the running game? Yikes...

I said Aldon Smith is improving which is something every one of your ignored. I don't think he is as good at edge-containment as 49ers fans therefore I've been a fan from 2012 and know nothing at all?

I'm just going to stop there because I'm just being reversed trolled. (and yes you can be a troll on your own site "I quoted the whole Aldon Smith quote!!!" when you didn't and it was the conclusion which you failed to talk about which was the fallacy).

I never put down any of you and nearly every one of you insulted me instead of coming back with any facts. I'm on a lot of forums, including 49ers ones, and I know this board had a reputation for being lax on the rules and stuff but damn you all are embarrassing yourselves with how much you are getting your panties in a bunch. For the record I've been a fan Hawk fan since 1996.

To the one guy who was actually sort of respectful and not blatantly insecure:
You have a better grasp of the game than the typical Seahawk poster here, but the message is the same. Team wins one Super Bowl, winning a close game against us at home, and suddenly teams must hope for the Seahawks to face a rash of injuries to have a HOPE of beating them. Never mind that Hawk fans were deeply worried about the NFCCG (I live in Seattle, so don't try to deny it), and that you only had home field advantage because you narrowly squeaked past some garbage teams.

McDonald and Bryant were real losses. Don't want to admit it, that's fine. Clemons is superior to Avril as an overall player, and he gave our All Pro LT a hard time, while Avril found success against our far less impressive RT, and generally was not on the field for many run downs against us.

You degrade Kap's decision making, but fail to consider how many lucky breaks need to work out for Wilson's schoolyard-ball broken plays to both avoid disaster and result in large gains.

Basically, you brought your homer act to our site, and you threw a hint of intelligent discourse on top of it to try and disguise it. Cute trick.

Still waiting on a reply...

Clemons is not superior to Avril. Clemons was injured 2 years ago at FedEx Field and was never quite the same. Avril had several key strips the entire year including 2 massive plays in the Super Bowl. McDonald was not a loss, he was a 1 year deal reclamation project who was pretty cruddy before. I never said Bryant wasn't a loss, I said he was overrated and he is overrated by 49ers fans. Every time he was ran at I was nervous because when our run defense was clicking it was the team doing well and when the run defense suffered against teams like the Rams it was usually Bryant who was out of position. Avril wasn't on the field all the time because he didn't have to be. The 49ers start the same starters 95% of snaps so I see why you could think that might think he's "worse". I love how the 49ers always claim "lucky Hawks" but they created their own luck and it has brought them to the top tier of football teams. Kaepernick and Harbaugh getting together and saying "We're going to pass it to Crabtree on this final play NO MATTER WHAT" has to be one of the worst decisions a team has ever made to prematurely end their season.

As for all that other crap you typed I don't really care.

Also, to the people talking about Gore not needing to be replaced, well I'm not sure but a 1.1 YPC in the NFCCG isn't a shining example of prolonged excellence.
[ Edited by TopNotchPLYR on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM ]
You have a better grasp of the game than the typical Seahawk poster here, but the message is the same. Team wins one Super Bowl, winning a close game at home, and suddenly teams must hope for the Seahawks to face a rash of injuries to have a HOPE of beating them. Never mind that Hawk fans were deeply worried about the NFCCG (I live in Seattle, so don't try to deny it), and that you only had home field advantage because you narrowly squeaked past some garbage teams.

Good point about Wilson.

So two broken plays, and another one on the run with Lynch. That was the essence of Seattle scoring that day.

We didn't light the world on fire either, but our TDs did come on sustained drives. It kills me that our secondary allowed Wilson to look above mediocre at all in that game. He was definitely average on every other play but those two.

It's coming this year. Seahawk fans love to say they closed the gap at the stick from 2010 to 2013....well, we've been doing the same since 2012 till now at their place.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:46 AM ]

BTW, I'm very interested to see how this Red Bryant loss turns out. My buddy is a Skins fan who is an encyclopedia of current NFL players, all teams. He told me before the start of this past season that Bryant was their best player......not Thomas, not Sherman. At least on defense.....which is all that matters in this discussion right now.

That's a pretty powerful choice considering there was no incentive for him to be cute with his choice. Even if he's #3 or #4 on that defense, that's significant.

Running the ball is the key to SF offensive success. Seattle secondary makes 49ers offense struggle more because they allow the DC to scheme to stop the run better more than outright pass coverage dominance. However, that DL also plays a role too. Bryant going doesn't help the Hawks no matter what they say.

If the 49ers RBs (esp. Gore) can get 4-5 YPC against any team in this league they will win 99% of the time.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM ]

I think you're misunderstanding the substance to this conversation. You raise some points that might potentially be valid; only time will tell. You also raise some points that are asinine (PWillis played most of the season with multiple injuries, but go ahead and say the dude's career is on the decline).

The problem isn't necessarily what you're saying; it's what you're not saying. Any non-homer would acknowledge that Seattle has suffered some potentially serious departures in free agency this year. Your supreme confidence that every scrub on that roster and every 21 year old in the draft will step in and humiliate your division rival is what makes you look like a jackass. Don't pretend that you're the victim of trolling when you can't get your head out of your ass.

By the way, Earl Thomas is not "untouchable." Pretty sure Kap and Boldin touched him up pretty good in the end zone in the NFCCG. Or had you changed the channel at that point for fear of witnessing a home playoff loss? I don't doubt that you're "on a lot of forums." The internet is where Seahawk fans are born. Watch a game or two and see if you like the sport before running your mouth.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Hey look everybody, it's the smartest guy in the room . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Learn something every day. Well, I feel a little bit better about feeling less informed than my peers; though, I think my issues stem from not being a very good student up until halfway through college.
The fact is unless the 49ers can develop a quarterback that is superior to Peyton Manning or find a Harvin type player that can outrun both Earl Thomas and Bruce Irvin (clocked at 4.38) on enough of a consistent basis to scare the defense of fly sweeps, the best bet for success is to wait and hope injuries deplete the Hawks excellent depth. They could also reinforce their already strong defense into one that projects better than the Seahawks, but with your star defensive players coming off injuries or on the downside of their career, the best bet for that is hoping to score a young Patrick Willis who can dominate sideline to sideline or a safety who can catch Harvin in the draft.

Anybody Hawk fan who could write this with a straight face and not think they'd get called out as an uber homer is beyond delusional on multiple fronts. Are the Hawks better right now? Yes . . . barely. But to think there's this hopeless chasm that we can only close with Hawk injuries and a roster make-over is so f**king silly it cannot be taken seriously.
This post is a great example of being able to type anything and pretend it's true. Reid made the new Jerry Rice voted pro bowl and all of a sudden he's a game changer? Lol, man you guys aren't good at this. Get back to me when he's an all-pro.

Willis? Yeah whatever I don't care that much, I said he's elite and if you feel the need to call someone a "fool" because I didn't suck his dick even more then bugger off. I was just trying to type stuff you guys might want to read, an analysis of a player from another persons point of view.

Did you read what I said about Staley or what? I said he is an elite player at a a prime position but not a game changer in the 49ers system because the 49ers aren't an adept passing team. You're really going to contend against that? Do you think the 49ers are not a running team? Do you really think you couldn't plug in any road grater to do his most of his job in the running game? Yikes...

I said Aldon Smith is improving which is something every one of your ignored. I don't think he is as good at edge-containment as 49ers fans therefore I've been a fan from 2012 and know nothing at all?

I'm just going to stop there because I'm just being reversed trolled. (and yes you can be a troll on your own site "I quoted the whole Aldon Smith quote!!!" when you didn't and it was the conclusion which you failed to talk about which was the fallacy).

I never put down any of you and nearly every one of you insulted me instead of coming back with any facts. I'm on a lot of forums, including 49ers ones, and I know this board had a reputation for being lax on the rules and stuff but damn you all are embarrassing yourselves with how much you are getting your panties in a bunch. For the record I've been a fan Hawk fan since 1996.

No one called Reid a "game changer" but he's good at his position and will only get better. Top 10 safety potential. Seattle has the best safeties in the league, so whatever, but Reid is an asset, not a placeholder or a weakness.

You said Willis was declining based off one or two plays, which is just foolhardy. He's in the prime of his career.

Staley is absolutely a game-changer. He's one of the best in pass protection, which I don't care what excuses you come up with--that's important. And he's THE best LT in run blocking. As you mentioned, we're a run-heavy offense. So yeah, I don't think you could put any other blocker in that position and get the same production.

Smith is one of the best OLBs in the game. You may not recognize that because Seattle doesn't use their OLBs in the same way, or have any linebackers of a similar caliber.

The 49ers strength and weakness on defense isn't "up the middle" vs "on the edge". It's front seven versus back seven, and two broken plays were the difference in the NFCCG. We have the best linebackers in football, period. Each of the four LBs are better than any LB on Seattle. We had a dominant D-Line in 2012; it took a step back in 2013 but it's still damn good. Not as good as Seattle's was in 2013, but I think we will get better there with the addition of Williams and Carradine, while Seattle lost Bryant, McDonald, and Clemons.

I think it's well past time to retire the myth that a player can be "solved" and therefore rendered impotent. The notion that Seattle will "solve" Kaepernick is ridiculous, just as its ridiculous to claim SF will "solve Wilson, or Kansas City will "solve" Manning. It just doesn't work that way. Besides which, Bruce Irvin and KJ Wright are massively overrated by Seattle fans. Irvin is a rotational player who should never be on the field full-time (which is why he's not), and KJ Wright is a league-average MLB. They benefit from the dominant D-line in from of them and excellent safety play behind them.
Share 49ersWebzone